SX50 - pulled the trigger today

Started Oct 27, 2012 | Discussions
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 - pulled the trigger today
In reply to Derek Oregon, Oct 28, 2012

Derek Oregon wrote:

D@mn. A day late but not a dollar short.

Derek,

If I get another e-mail with a discount coupon, I'll post a notice to this thread. They come relatively often from Staples. Last week there was a 15% from Saturday to Friday, then a 20% for Friday-Saturday. I'm glad they didn't have one in stock until Friday for the extra $24 savings.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 28, 2012

VisionLight wrote:

I was waiting for you to remind me. You knew. And right now my wife has my (eh, her) SX40 around her neck, getting a feel for it. It has served me well. Thanks for the comment about the pictures. Now the SX50 will get its chance to live up to its older sibling's capabilities. Now if I can just get a chance to use it. Haven't had any sunshine for days and none is expected for at least 4 to five more days due to Sandy. I want to play with my new toy.

Vision

I completely understand. I am the same way with a new camera - and when the weather is bad, I take pictures of boxes and books around the office to learn how it works in less than perfect light, and also to see how much flash compensation is required when I will want to use flash.

I then read the manual a couple of times, and look longingly out the window. Sometimes I even snap a picture of the house across the street to see how exposure tracks from dim inside to 'bright 'outdoors. In other words, I still play with it, I just don't get any pictures that are keepers. But being a gear head, I still have tons of fun.

I'll very likely get one of those new toys for Christmas myself.   So, I'm counting on you to keep me appraised of all the nuances of the camera you find, so I can get ready for it.
--
kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Broch Gerling
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 29, 2012

I am on the fence between two cameras right now, the SX50, and the G15. Did any of you decide between these two? I know that the biggest differences are the range and the build quality. I would appreciate any info! Thank you!

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Broch Gerling, Oct 29, 2012

Broch Gerling wrote:

I am on the fence between two cameras right now, the SX50, and the G15. Did any of you decide between these two? I know that the biggest differences are the range and the build quality. I would appreciate any info! Thank you!

While I didn't consider the G series cameras when buying either my SX40 or SX50, I think choosing which feature sets between the two series depends more on what type of photography you do then anything else. The G is smaller and lighter with a faster lens and a slightly larger sensor (1.7). The SX, while twice the weight and with a slightly smaller sensor (2.3), makes up for that by being both wider (24mm vs. 28mm - a rather large 10° wider angle of view) and 8½x longer (1200mm vs 140mm optical). If you're into street photography, or family pictures or general landscapes, and also like to shoot in darker conditions, then the G series may be fine for your needs. But if you want wildlife, both distant or near macro (the SX40 and SX50 have the fabulous capability to take macro images down to ¾" subjects from 4½ feet away), and want expansive landscapes (that 10°) plus the street photography and family pictures, and also don't mind the larger camera and general need for more light (though the IS many times is unbelievable), then the SX really shines. They're both excellent pieces of equipment for their intended use. Which use is going to be yours?

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?

Beautiful photos, VisionLight.  You are an artist.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Derek Oregon
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?

VisionLight wrote:

Derek Oregon wrote:

D@mn. A day late but not a dollar short.

Derek,

If I get another e-mail with a discount coupon, I'll post a notice to this thread. They come relatively often from Staples. Last week there was a 15% from Saturday to Friday, then a 20% for Friday-Saturday. I'm glad they didn't have one in stock until Friday for the extra $24 savings.

Vision

Thank you. I will keep my eyes peeled.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, Oct 29, 2012

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Beautiful photos, VisionLight. You are an artist.

Hi Stephen,

The subject matter is certainly a "little" bigger than what we have been working on lately. But it's Mother Nature whose flora and fauna provide the inspiration, the palettes that always amaze me, and the luminance that begs to be celebrated. I just try to capture moments of its beauty in some way, a grasp against an inevitable fading from my aging mind's eye.

Thanks for your very kind words.

Vision

Derek Oregon
Like?

So weird, the 5 Staples in my area have no clue about the SX50. I had them all check for physical boxes and they all say nope, we don't have em.

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Derek Oregon, Oct 29, 2012

Derek Oregon wrote:

So weird, the 5 Staples in my area have no clue about the SX50. I had them all check for physical boxes and they all say nope, we don't have em.

When I had received one of the discount e-mails a couple of weeks ago, I called and was told they didn't expect the SX50 in stock until around Oct 26th or 27th. Possibly there was something he checked in their system at the time that told him so. Turned out that the projected date was correct. Maybe the stores in your area don't have the same system. What's also strange is that looking right now, it is still not on their website.

Note that there was an e-mail from them today, but it did not include any coupons that covered cameras. When one does come in, I'll post a notice here, and, if possible, a link.

RoyAmatore
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 30, 2012

Really nice stuff VL.  Good luck with the new 50!

RoyAmatore's gear list:RoyAmatore's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
HagaWaga
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 30, 2012

These pictures are Art Gallery material! Just beautiful, to be printed posted size and proudly hang around house.

Last picture (5 minutes before rain) - using SX50 new tricks, could it be made little bit brighter out of camera?

SX50 is my next camera, too. But I am not shelling $500 for it. Will wait and see if Christmas makes a difference or dead seasons like Jan/Feb.

Again, fantastic pictures.

Derek Oregon
Like?
In reply to HagaWaga, Nov 2, 2012

Amazon has SX50 for 434.99 at this moment and free shipping. 7:47pm pacific time Nov. 1st.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Wide-Angle-Stabilized/dp/B009B0MZ1M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Derek Oregon
Like?
In reply to Derek Oregon, Nov 2, 2012

Derek Oregon wrote:

Amazon has SX50 for 434.99 at this moment and free shipping. 7:47pm pacific time Nov. 1st.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Wide-Angle-Stabilized/dp/B009B0MZ1M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Now its 424.69 at 11:15 pm pst.

I'm tempted.

iAnoop
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Nov 2, 2012

Awesome colors..

That turtle picture is an awesome catch:-D

-- hide signature --
 iAnoop's gear list:iAnoop's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
evan47
Contributing MemberPosts: 701Gear list
Like?

got mine yesterday, despite my reservations the EVF is adequate.

it seems like a nice piece of kit for when i run out of reach with my d7000/70-300vr.

cant wait for some nice weather and cooperative birds!

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,644Gear list
Like?

Great photos from an obviously great camera. Love the turtles!

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
VisionLight
Like?
Hurricane Sandy
In reply to VisionLight, Nov 4, 2012

Hello All,

I see that over the last week that there have been a number of replys to this thread that I have unfortunately not been able to read. Tonite I have the chance to visit a friend who got one of the few available hotel rooms in the area and it has not only lights and heat, but internet. Haven't seen any of the three in five days. So I thought I'd leave a fast note to say hello (don't want to be rude) and that I'll read all the replies and answer them whenever power and communications are restored to my area. The bad news though is that it is not expected to happen for another 5 to 7 days. We're all roughing it and still smiling. Do wish though that it wasn't in the 30s outside. Gets a little chilly inside at night.

(Hopefully) talk to you soon,

Vision

Susan Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: Hurricane Sandy

VisionLight,

Prayers going out for you and others in the area where Sandy hit. Hope much more help in many ways is getting up there soon. I and my family live in the Nashviille area and in May 2010 we saw destruction locally through torrential rain leading to terrible flooding but still nothing like what has hit the northeast U.S. Talking about a camera seems trite when faced with what you and others have endured and still are enduring. Roughing it can be fun for a while, but the comforts of life are still better in the long term   By the way, I waited a few extra days and got the SX50 at the "reduced" price on Amazon....procrastination helped a little this time.

ViragSharma
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to evan47, Nov 4, 2012

evan47 wrote:

got mine yesterday, despite my reservations the EVF is adequate.

it seems like a nice piece of kit for when i run out of reach with my d7000/70-300vr.

cant wait for some nice weather and cooperative birds!

Wow , what a co-incident , am also considering for same purpose what you mentioned.
Am also thinking to buy SX50 as backup of my Nikon D7000.
But still stuck between sx40 and SX50 , SX40 is very less price as compare to SX50

VisionLight
Like?
Re: Hurricane Sandy - UPDATE

It's a very good morning as power was restored at 4:16AM. Glad it wasn't 5 more days as had been reported to us. I've been emptying the fridge and cleaning up for hours, but now it's time to take a coffee break and catch up with this thread.

During the week I did get a chance to take out my new SX50 and run it through its paces a little (only time or opportunity for about 20 or 30 test shots though). Even went to the cupola (remember the images from my SX40 mini-review last winter) for some SX50-SX40 comparisons. So next coffee break I'll try to start a new thread with my initial thoughts and images form the SX50

But now, time to catch up on this thread . . .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads