Why JPEG is not an option for me.

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Why JPEG is not an option for me.
Oct 26, 2012

Hi,

Today I have post processed some shots I took over one year ago. The reason is that I have bought a book that deals with post processing in LR and I also downloaded a film emulation plug in.

I wasn't very happy with the images before because the looked rather flat ( out of camera ) but with the new post processing I really like them.

That's why I hope that Fuji and Adobe work together to find a solution to support their X-Trans sensor RAW files. As soon as there is RAW support for the X-E1 I will get it.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +15 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
Re: Why JPEG is not an option for me.
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Oct 26, 2012

Wow. I was able to edit my post! Maybe the new forum style isn't that bad at all.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?

Just curious - you mention Adobe getting together with Fuji about the raw files.

Does Adobe have the only raw editor available?

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?

Only you can make that decision. For me a better book was how to meter correctly. After that all you need is a good jpeg engine, which the Fuji has. Shooting the X100, I've gone from 90% raw to 80-90% jpeg and will never go back.  My Nikon kit is up for sale.

Vic Chapman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji and Adobe raw - and Apple.
In reply to threeOh, Oct 26, 2012

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3286994

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
threeOh
Like?
In reply to Vic Chapman, Oct 26, 2012

Vic Chapman wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3286994

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Thanks, knew about it. I believe it will take a while for XTrans to settle down. Years, not weeks. None of the tools are perfect. However, the Fuji's have great metering, an excellent jpeg engine and SilkyPix works when Adobe does not.  For many, this is not about IQ, it's about not changing software.  How many use NIK for Nikon?  Not all that many yet it renders better.

threeOh
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, Oct 26, 2012

coaltrain wrote:

Just curious - you mention Adobe getting together with Fuji about the raw files.

Does Adobe have the only raw editor available?

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

No, there's RPP, SilkyPix and Adobe in the Mac side. I believe there are a few more in the Win side. I'm an Aperture user and the XE-1 caused me to look at the 3 Mac choices. They all have their pros and cons. Where I'm at now is either Adobe Bridge and ACR with SilkyPix available when ACR just does not get me there with the few xp1 raf files I have to play with. Or Lightroom, again with SilkyPix available.

SilkyPix is actually rather nice. Runs fine on my aging iMac. A cluttered modular interface but it's simple use learn, simple to use and actually does very nice editing. The issues with ACR are supposedly color bleeding and smearing on foilege. I have some xp1 files I'm playing with until the xe arrives with some highly intricate lines of color running though a darker background. Absolutely no color bleeding in either Adobe or SilkyPix. I'm not a landscape photographer. While I would noteither any of the apps crisp, they are good enough for the little foilege that gets into my shots.

coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
In reply to threeOh, Oct 26, 2012

threeOh wrote:

coaltrain wrote:

Does Adobe have the only raw editor available?

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

No, there's RPP, SilkyPix and Adobe in the Mac side. I believe there are a few more in the Win side. I'm an Aperture user and the XE-1 caused me to look at the 3 Mac choices. They all have their pros and cons. Where I'm at now is either Adobe Bridge and ACR with SilkyPix available when ACR just does not get me there with the few xp1 raf files I have to play with. Or Lightroom, again with SilkyPix available.

SilkyPix is actually rather nice. Runs fine on my aging iMac. A cluttered modular interface but it's simple use learn, simple to use and actually does very nice editing. The issues with ACR are supposedly color bleeding and smearing on foilege. I have some xp1 files I'm playing with until the xe arrives with some highly intricate lines of color running though a darker background. Absolutely no color bleeding in either Adobe or SilkyPix. I'm not a landscape photographer. While I would noteither any of the apps crisp, they are good enough for the little foilege that gets into my shots.

Thanks for you indepth reply. At first when I wrote my original post, I was kind of being facetious in a way since I get kind of tired of hearing that Lightroom is the only game in town for image editing. I don't hear that so much here in the Fuji sections as much as in others.

I shoot 100% raw with my Pentax gear with great results and not using Lightroom like 99% of the people. While I agree when it was said above that I am so impressed with the Fuji jpeg engine, and that I can't process raw with my standard software (Acdsee Pro6, Capture One, DxO) that I've pretty much decided to just use my x10 and x-s1 as jpeg shooters. The Silkypix software isn't that bad at all if I want to process some raw files - actually I use the Silkypix software for my Pentax cameras quite a bit.

Thanks for sharing your Fuji raw thoughts. Meanwhile I have been tweaking my in camera jpeg settings and just run with that for now.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 4,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Oct 27, 2012

You can edit JPEGs in LR as well you know.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57even, Oct 27, 2012

57even wrote:

You can edit JPEGs in LR as well you know.

I don't get it either.

He doesn't think that image is achievable when shooting and editing JPEGs?   He could also change the in-camera settings to get the OOC JPEGs closer to what he wants.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
newone757
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Oct 27, 2012

I apply film emulations to jpegs all the time in Lightroom. Unless you have the end results from both the RAW and jpeg to compare I really don't get this thread. Nice effect though

Jonathan Robson
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Oct 27, 2012

Nice shots. What film emulation plugin did you go with, how do you like it?

Cheers

Jonathan

-- hide signature --

'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in
to the sea.' - Eric Cantona
http://jrobfoto.com

Jonathan Robson's gear list:Jonathan Robson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +17 more
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to coaltrain, Oct 27, 2012

Of course not but since Lightroom came out I use it. I love the interface. I'm not willing to change my workflow just because of a camera.

-- hide signature --
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to threeOh, Oct 27, 2012

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. It's not about correcting exposure it's about color and tones. I have no problem to expose a shot correctly but I love the flexibility of RAW files to create special looks.

-- hide signature --
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to Vic Chapman, Oct 27, 2012

It's great to see how effective non disclosure agreements are.

But the step is really necessary for Fuji to expand the customer base for their brilliant X-Series.

-- hide signature --
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Oct 27, 2012

Ok. I should have posted the original file too. I will do that when I'm back home.

My point was that I can post process an image I took years ago with todays RAW converter and take advantage of the progress of the software.

There is a difference in handling too. You can't edit an 8 bit file the way you do with a RAW file. Just look at the histogram after the changes. I agree that in camera JPEGs are getting better but flexibility means RAW.

-- hide signature --
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Robson, Oct 27, 2012

Thank you. It's Ektachrome and it's for free. It needs to be adapted for portraits because it is far too contrasty but I like the color.

I consider to get the VCO film packs but haven't found a try out version yet.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads