Sony NEX-5R vs NEX-6

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Questions
pongalong
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Sony NEX-5R vs NEX-6
Oct 26, 2012

After a long break from photography since I got tired of lugging around my SLR, I purchased an RX100, fell in love and then picked up a 5N and fell even more in love. When I heard about the 5R and 6 I returned the camera and have been awaiting reviews.

Are there any differences between the two in image quality? It seems like the major difference is the EVF, mode dial and touchscreen. If so, is the EVF (other than preference / stability) useful if you aren't using expensive manual glass?

And lastly, any NEX-7 update rumors?

ANSWER:
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-5R vs NEX-6
In reply to pongalong, Oct 26, 2012

pongalong wrote:

After a long break from photography since I got tired of lugging around my SLR, I purchased an RX100, fell in love and then picked up a 5N and fell even more in love. When I heard about the 5R and 6 I returned the camera and have been awaiting reviews.

Are there any differences between the two in image quality? It seems like the major difference is the EVF, mode dial and touchscreen. If so, is the EVF (other than preference / stability) useful if you aren't using expensive manual glass?

The differences are in functionality, not in IQ:

Mode wheel (I really dont care about it, I dont change modes that often, but some people really "need it")

EVF, this is nice,  you could add the EVF to the nex5, but it would cost more. On the other hand it is not fixed. Also on the nex-5r you would loose the flash.

Flash hot shoe. And hability to use flash with the EVF.  This is a must for me in particular.

I think it has more buttons. Not sure.

Screen. It is like the nex7, so it is different. I prefer the one on the 5R or the new 3, but the limitation is the integrated EVF.

About the 7, we still need to wait. It seems the 7 models will update every 2 yeras. So it will happen that one year you will have an older version.

The nex 5 and 3 models are updated once a year.

We still dont know how often the 6 will update. Will it be considered a high end product, and update every 2 years like the 7, or yearly like the 5 or the 3?

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Profe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
Re: Are there any differences between the two in image quality?

Since both are using the SAME sensor there is not suppose to be ANY difference at all in image quality. And if by concidence there is any, it is due to quality control (difference in mass production quality) and not because one is a 5 and the other is a 6.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-5R vs NEX-6

pongalong wrote:

Welcome in the Nex group, hope you will enjoy this beautifull camera!

There are to little real tests available to know if there are any differences in IQ between the cameras.
Two major differences, appart from the touch screen, mode dial and the EVF, are the Hotshoe and the build in flash (making the size of the Nex6 larger then the Nex 5) If this is good or bad depends on if you want the flash build in and if you want the EVF.

An EVF is a major help in sunny weather, when an LCD screen is not that easy to see (but the LCD of the Nex cameras is good, so it might be not that big of a problem) looking at the lcd makes it easier to keep an eay on the surrounding and see what might come in view of your camera in a short time, So a EVF is a nice to have, but you can live without it.

The kind of glass you use is not of a great importance if you will use/like/need an EVF.

When I had to choose between the Nex5 and the Nex6 I would go for the 6 as I think that is the best camera for me, with the extra options it has, ​I don't think I would use the touch screen a lot. but I think I would like the EVF a lot...

Not  that I know of but it will come

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads