I am an idiot

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions
fft81
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
I am an idiot
Oct 26, 2012

Just got d800 in mail today. Popped the 24-70 on it and fired off couple shots. And... as the moment of truth came and I looked at the result i saw crap. Absolute and utter crap. I then looked at the shutter speed at f/2.8 and saw very slow times. I scratched my head and started cursing, thinking that the camera is useless. This is my 1st FF body, so i was thinking 36MP FF has crappy sensitivity. After calming myself down i realized that by default camera is set to lowest ISO possible... ISO 50. After bumping it up to 800 everything works as expected, but since now i know for sure that i am an idiot, i think that learning to use this camera will be a very loooong yet fun experience.

I wish they kept the Full Auto mode for idiots like me...

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,453
Like?
Re: I am an idiot
In reply to fft81, Oct 26, 2012

"P" mode is essentially the same as full auto mode if you don't touch any other settings.  Maybe use that until you're more comfortable in an auto mode.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M Jesper
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
Troll alert !

Bonus points for the title.

M Jesper's gear list:M Jesper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,417Gear list
Like?

Set AutoISO for sure and set to P mode and it's pretty much foolproof.

-- hide signature --
Pearlie
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

fft81 wrote:

Just got d800 in mail today. Popped the 24-70 on it and fired off couple shots. And... as the moment of truth came and I looked at the result i saw crap. Absolute and utter crap. I then looked at the shutter speed at f/2.8 and saw very slow times. I scratched my head and started cursing, thinking that the camera is useless. This is my 1st FF body, so i was thinking 36MP FF has crappy sensitivity. After calming myself down i realized that by default camera is set to lowest ISO possible... ISO 50. After bumping it up to 800 everything works as expected, but since now i know for sure that i am an idiot, i think that learning to use this camera will be a very loooong yet fun experience.

I'm guilty of operator error too! well... I know that I am not alone! You will do fine! enjoy!

dnorth12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?

You are probably the smartest idiot on this forum....You figured out your own problem.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to dnorth12, Oct 26, 2012

I have had the D800E for several months. It really isn't an auto camera at all. I find myself taking test shots and adjusting very often. Taking a shot trying to have things at auto may work occassionally but often I just live with the several test shots and then once its all setup I am ready to go.

I often shoot in M mode (manual) or Aperture priority where I want to keep subect isolation as high as possible with the lowest F ratio the lens has. Also for doing panoramas I use F7.1, M mode or A mode, no auto ISO as you don't want it changing exposures between individual shots in a panorama/mosaic.

Greg.

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Oct 27, 2012

Hi Greg, if you use A mode, won't it still change exposures slightly on you between frames?

Thanks,   Ernie Misner

fft81
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, Oct 27, 2012

Ernie Misner wrote:

Hi Greg, if you use A mode, won't it still change exposures slightly on you between frames?

Thanks, Ernie Misner

By "A" he means Aperture Priority, not Auto. So he sets the aperture and camera adjusts shutter+iso. By using manual ISO he basically forces camera to adjust only the shutter.

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
In reply to fft81, Oct 27, 2012

D800 default iso out of box is 100 not 50.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E +8 more
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
In reply to caspianm, Oct 27, 2012

I'm gonna be the first A-hole in the thread

YAY

(don't get surprise, we're a bunch in DPreview )

At least, take notice it's a very honest, true and sincere A-hole (notice the redundancy).

I just happen to vent it.

Why is the OP buying a D800 ? just because money allows it?

Do people buy a FF 3 grand camera, and can't just figure out what they're doing before cursing the camera?

I know, it may seem I'm a sorrow guy. Nope, I'm certainly not.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

theNeverKings
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?

fft81 wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Thanks, Ernie Misner

By "A" he means Aperture Priority, not Auto. So he sets the aperture and camera adjusts shutter+iso. By using manual ISO he basically forces camera to adjust only the shutter.

Hi.

Aperture priority is still something of an "auto" mode i.e. the camera's CPU is automatically selecting the shutter speed . It simply allows the photographer to concentrate solely on the appropriate choice of aperture for creative reasons. Great for times when the lighting conditions are prone to change, for example coming out of a dimly lit church interior to bright sunlight.

I don't shoot many panoramas, however those I have we're taken using full manual. If I were to use aperture priority I would use the AEL button to lock the exposure (plus any compensation) based on the brightest detail I want to retain.

Cheers.

rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
In reply to marcio_napoli, Oct 27, 2012

Maybe he is just into a bit of self deprecating humor.  Lord knows, we could use a few people around here who don't think they are God's gift to photography.

I'm on my 6th digital body, the last five have been Nikons.  It still takes me several months and thousands of shots to feel really comfortable with the camera.  They're complicated beasties.  At least the OP figured it out his problem and didn't blame Nikon.

-- hide signature --

RG

www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
M Jesper
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
Yeah that's a nice twist.
In reply to rgolub, Oct 27, 2012

I'd agree if we were talking about some camera-dependent setting deep in the menu, or somebody just buying his first compact with manual controls, but we're talking about ISO here, the very first thing you learn about with any SLR, not to mention a $2K+ one.

M Jesper's gear list:M Jesper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar
Salim Guzeyer
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

fft81 wrote:

Maybe a point and shoot camera is a better (!) alternative.

Volksgti81
Contributing MemberPosts: 737Gear list
Like?

No worries you'll be fine. These cameras have so many settings in the menus and it takes time to figure it all out. I'm sure you're doing this already but most definitely read through the manual.

Volksgti81's gear list:Volksgti81's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,220
Like?

You're in good company then.

rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
Re: Yeah that's a nice twist.
In reply to M Jesper, Oct 27, 2012

I've made my share of 'idiot' mistakes in the past.  Haven't got flustered because the lens cap is still on - but close.

That's when things go wrong, it's good advice to start with the simple things first.  Don't reinstall the operating system when you need to plug the machine into the wall....

-- hide signature --

RG www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,559Gear list
Like?
You will have to look long and hard . . .
In reply to fft81, Oct 28, 2012

fft81 wrote:

. . . After calming myself down i realized that by default camera is set to lowest ISO possible...

You will have to look long and hard to find anyone here who has never done something similar.

It can be set up to come close to Full Auto, but why spoil the fun of learning?

-- hide signature --

- Marianne
Veni, vidi, exposui

fft81
Like?
Re: You will have to look long and hard . . .
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Oct 28, 2012

Marianne Oelund wrote:

fft81 wrote:

. . . After calming myself down i realized that by default camera is set to lowest ISO possible...

You will have to look long and hard to find anyone here who has never done something similar.

It can be set up to come close to Full Auto, but why spoil the fun of learning?

-- hide signature --

- Marianne
Veni, vidi, exposui

The way i like to use cameras is in 2 main modes:

1. easy sure-shot

2. creative

Full auto is the "easy sure-shot" for when i feel lazy and i am in "creative" mode when i actually have time to set up the shot and be creative about it.

I am coming off the d90 so d800 is an interesting upgrade / learning experience for me. So far i am less comfortable with d800 than with d90; it takes more effort and better technique to take good pictures with d800 than it did with d90; but the end result of d800 is much better than that of d90, which is to be expected.

For example i did a boo-boo today with bracketing; i had it set-up for -1, 0 +1 and then i forgot i had it setup so. The end result was that some of my pictures were all at -1 without the other 2 exposures. Of-course now i changed it to 0 -1 +1, but it still takes more concentration than d90, as it should.

D800 is a good camera and as such it is a good "technique amplifier". What this means is that: in comparison to d90, with good technique you will get great pictures, with average technique you will get ok pictures and bad technique will screw you. Mean while on D90 you get not as good and not as bad pictures as a function of technique. I had the same learning curve 3 years ago moving from point-and-shoot to d90...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads