So where is the RX1 noise?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Questions
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
So where is the RX1 noise?
Oct 26, 2012

Thought I would hear the volume turned up as we approach its release.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: So where is the RX1 noise?
In reply to DFPanno, Oct 26, 2012

DFPanno wrote:

Thought I would hear the volume turned up as we approach its release.

No new leaks. No new review units.

Sony is off tweaking their firmware (even hardware with the focus mode dial changes). So what is their to say? More speculation on how awesome it might be? Whether it's overpriced? Why they couldn't include an EVF or tilt LCD? Why we are or are not getting one? How well it will retain its value? Will there be an RX2? When will it really ship?

I think we've exhausted those subjects until there's a new rumor, someone receives a unit, new sample images arrive, or early purchasers (I ordered mine instantly!) start unboxing.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Oct 26, 2012

I didn't suggest that I was looking forward to rehashing the comments of a month ago.:-|

Primarily looking for new images which I would find enjoyable to view! 

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Oct 26, 2012

tesilab wrote:

Sony is off tweaking their firmware (even hardware with the focus mode dial changes).

Actually, the 4 preproduction RX1 that the photojournalists were playing in San Francisco 2 weeks ago already have the new focus mode dial, so I think Sony is busy fine-tuning the firmware per early feedback, and ramping up on production to meet the pre-order demand worldwide.

OTOH, perhaps early production units are already here and the media is under embargo and cannot disclose their reviews publicly until a later time closer to the RX1 launch.

Blue

Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

Nothing new.

The latest is an on-hand review posted yesterday but without any new revelation :http://www.photographybay.com/2012/10/25/sony-rx1-hands-on/

and the questions to sony in flicker group where the last couple of questions remain unanswered yet

I just preordered the camera on Amazon, for the fear of not being able to buy it in Istanbul, Turkey if they set the price too high here. Amazon does not reveal any estimated shipping date therefore I am not sure whether I am on time to still benefit from the expected shipmemts on mid December or left to February production as reported by Canadian fellows here.

Anyway, the camera is feature rich, with seemingly excellent IQ and really compact. This is waht was expected for years. Enough to make me buy. I admit accessories are too pricey though. I will probably buy the EVF (not offered on Amazon yet) but hood and thumbrest, no way. Thumbrest does not allow the EVF anyway, 250 bucks for a flake of ordinary metal, sorry. I can buy the case though, again pricey so maybe Luigi or some other producer may offer a better option, therefore no need to hurry.

The idea behind my buying decision is because I want a small, simple camera and fixed lens is fine for me and it will controversially solve me from gear lust for many years. The only dealbreaker would be if there is a technical problem such as it occurred in Fujis like sticky blades etc, very slow operation, again as was experienced by Fuji owners. Etc. I wait for actual reviews, raw samples etc.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

No news, all that there is and can be said has been said already. Maybe there are some accounts from the Sony media event a couple weeks ago that have yet to be published.

It'll get noisy when production units hit reviewers, sometime by the second or third week of November if Sony is sticking to their schedule.

WCguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?

I do know the EVF is available  for pre-order at Sony.com and not at Sony.ca yet. Its also available at  J&R in NYC.     http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_FDAEV1MK/

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 +31 more
sroute
Like?
In reply to WCguy, Oct 27, 2012

I don't know JR at all. Worth dealing with? Adorama (never dealt with them and no plans to) also has the EVF available for pre-order; last time I checked with B&H they didn't.

Most of the time for photo gear I deal with B&H, PopFlash.com, and a really nice shop in Portland OR. Occasionally Amazon. The folks in Portland are seeing if they can get a pre-order thing working for me for the RX1; if so I'll cancel my Sony.CA order.

sroute
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, Oct 27, 2012

Apparently there is great interest in the RX1 at PhotoPlus in NYC.

A visitor to PhotoPlus this week posted observations in the DPR NEX forum.

The other surprise to me: the RX1 booth was crowded all day long. They had three RX1s on display - one with the EVF, one with the OVF and one without a VF. None of them had batteries; I overheard a rep say something about firmware, so that was disappointing. Lots of interest in that camera.

Too bad the cameras were castrated!

sroute
Like?
In reply to sroute, Oct 27, 2012

PS, an informed source tells me the EVF for the RX1, and the A99, is improved beyond that found in the NEX-7 / A77.

I keep wondering if the improvements have as much to do with the sensor the EVF is coupled to as the EVF. At any rate if the EVF is in fact visibly improved since I last used one on a NEX-5N, I'll be less grumpy about spending more for one.

macjonny1
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
In reply to sroute, Oct 27, 2012

J&R is a reputable store...

iffer
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, Oct 27, 2012

Here's a new topic - the RX1 and a99 come with this new "iso" flash hot shoe.

What flashes understand "iso"?  Do they do ttl and camera based adjustments with the iso shoe or is it just "flash now"?

Either that or I guess we're going to be shopping for the new sony flash as well as the camera.

Any guesses?

iffer's gear list:iffer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Sony RX100 +3 more
sroute
Like?
In reply to iffer, Oct 29, 2012

An ISO hot shoe is a "standard" hot shoe as opposed to Sony/Minolta's old "intelligent" ISO shoe which wasn't a standard shoe physically or electronically at all.

In other words, the ISO (ISO 518) shoe can accommodate any standard flash. To take advantage of TTL flash no doubt you need to buy a Sony flash, or third party flashes with manufacturer specific adapters (like Metz) or that are otherwise guaranteed to be Sony compatible.

I doubt I'll use an external flash all that often except occasionally when shooting using a tripod. The one grip I have about external EVF's is they take up the space where I would use a flash. There are options though. One can still use the on camera flash to remote trigger other flashs, and there may just be a RF flash trigger built in - one report is out there suggesting this.

iffer
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, Oct 29, 2012

Cool - that gave me enough to search on...

so the new hot shoe is iso-518 shaped with additional contacts (the  21+2 pin Multi Interface Shoe)

so we can find ones that fit and at least will fire (the +2 contacts I assume).

And old Sony flashes still work the same but need a passive adaptor (wikipedia)

Thinking about it, really for me an remote smart flash system would be better anyway - saves extension cables, less chance of harsh shadows and red eye.  But I'd still like it to work with the camera's exposure plans, not against/in spite of  them

and a whole thread on the topic

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/sar-a99-iso-hot-shoe-report_topic90215_page13.html

Thanks sroute!

Jen

iffer's gear list:iffer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Sony RX100 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads