Anyone tried RAW, then reverted to JPEG only?

Started Oct 26, 2012 | Discussions
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777
Like?
Anyone tried RAW, then reverted to JPEG only?
Oct 26, 2012

When you follow these forums, you realize that we all have different preferences and priorities. There are many cases of DSLR shooters parking those cameras and reverting to bridge cameras or other point and shoots.

Most people on this and other forums seem to shoot RAW. I wonder how many tried RAW, then went back to JPEG. Is anyone willing to admit that?

Personally, I've never even tried RAW but am convinced it's at least worth a try. Knowing my preferences, I suspect it will be a short romance and that I'll be back with JPEG quite soon.

Jack

Chioti
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone tried RAW, then reverted to JPEG only?
In reply to Setter Dog, Oct 26, 2012

Setter Dog wrote:

When you follow these forums, you realize that we all have different preferences and priorities. There are many cases of DSLR shooters parking those cameras and reverting to bridge cameras or other point and shoots.

Most people on this and other forums seem to shoot RAW. I wonder how many tried RAW, then went back to JPEG. Is anyone willing to admit that?

Personally, I've never even tried RAW but am convinced it's at least worth a try. Knowing my preferences, I suspect it will be a short romance and that I'll be back with JPEG quite soon.

Jack

I'm willing to admit that I have. I am a novice to the DSLR world and about a month ago I got an a77 16-50. I understand the concepts of aperture, shutter speed, ISO. I have Aperture 3.4 on my Mac and I came to the realization that for now I want to concentrate on learning my camera. Since I am doing that I am taking so many pictures that processing each and everyone of them is a real pain. So for now I'm happy to shoot in JPEG and when I am comfortable with the camera where I can find all of its settings through muscle memory I will switch to JPEG+RAW.

Also what I would really like to see in a future firmware upgrade is for Sony to allow their multi frame features (e.g. HDR and MFNR) to work regardless of which mode you are in, by temporarily switching to JPEG until you get out of the multi frame setting. Right now, getting a message that it is disabled, and having to switch back and forth is simply not usable.

Stelios

Chioti's gear list:Chioti's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Apple Aperture
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
Yes, of course

I shoot RAW if shots are important or have tricky WB conditions. For everyday use I shoot JPEG.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reeco
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, of course
In reply to goetz48, Oct 26, 2012

Beginner, and I only shoot RAW.  I find it quite a creative process, and it means I really get to look at my pictures in depth - which I probably wouldn't do if I didn't put them all through Lightroom after a shooting session.

Reeco's gear list:Reeco's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +1 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,632Gear list
Like?
Not 'reverted', but use JPG far more than RAW...

I'm not a convert one way or the other - I've been using both for a long time.  However, RAW for me is something I prefer to use as 'insurance' - to possibly save some shots where something was off in my capture or settings that required fixing beyond what can be done with a JPG.  The only times I really feel like it's necessary to have that insurance is when the photography is not just for my own consumption, but for a client.  I'm confident enough in my own abilities to get a good shot out of JPG, but sometimes shooting a live event or one-time moment for a client, you don't have time to try multiple shots, you can't go back and recreate a moment, so you must shoot fast, often once, and get it right.  So I use RAW+JPG, which allows me to use the JPGs 99% of the time when I do it right, but have the RAW for insurance if I don't.

When it comes to pleasure shooting, shooting only for myself and my own enjoyment and satisfaction, with no client expectations, I shoot JPG only - I don't want or need the insurance and like to just go out there with the camera and its controls and enjoy the act of taking photos, and going home to avoid the post-processing routine as much as possible since it's the part I enjoy least in the whole photographic pipeline.

So it's JPG only for me 90-95% of the time, and RAW+JPG for those rare other occasions, with the RAW being actually used probably 1% or less of the time.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +24 more
james2k50
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?

Setter Dog wrote:

Jack

I shoot JPEG depending on the level of importance of the photo shoot. Weddings I would shoot in RAW, also certain landscape or other important events. I also own a bridge camera and this is accompanied by my SLT. Together they make for some great serious amateur photography. It's all I really have the time for. Occasionally, even a wedding with the right lens

james2k50's gear list:james2k50's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,255
Like?

I think it depends very much on workflow. Some people see raw as extra work, while others have a workflow where raw does not create extra work.

I am in the last group. When I have shot a series of photos, I load it into Lightroom where I browse through the photos, decide which ones to keep and which ones to delete, crop some of them a bit to get a better composition, change the lighting in some of them, change the white balance in some of them etc. When I am finished, I export the photos.

Those steps would be exactly the same if I shot in JPG.

Trollmann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?

Yes, almost - jpgs are so good now that I do not bother with RAW at all for everyday photos - used to shoot RAW+jpg but now it is mostly jpg only. Have never regretted shooting jpgs only under such circumstances. Photography is a lot more than simply beeing obsessed with best possible...

Now and then I have needs byond memories or everyday pictures and then I shoot RAW+jpg - and I usually end up using the jpg file. But guess who is happy to have the RAW files when needed!

danny584
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?

When I first got my A550 I shot in RAW only, mainly because people on forums claim that you get the best quality.

Now after 2 years and an A77 I shoot only in JPEG. I leave it at LOW 'high ISO noise reduction' and I get plenty of detail at least untill ISO800. And I edit them in Camera Raw, so I can apply some extra sharpening or local noise reduction. White balance you can also change.

And with the Xfine setting of the A77 it is almost a RAW file. I can open up exposure with 2stops, no problem.

You also get more shots in the buffer and faster clearing time.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77 / Sony 16-50/2.8 / Tamron 200-500

sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,464
Like?

Setting aside any after-the-fact workflow differences, there can be distinct advantages to shooting JPGs: improved camera response time; a wider choice of capture resolutions; improved buffer depth; and unhampered access to all the 'trick' features of Sony's newer cameras. I like shooting JPGs and dislike shooting RAW, although I do so on occasion.

gradyp
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?

I have been shooting RAW for a long time now, I really appreciate the extra detail and dynamic range, it's allowed me to rescue a few shots that I really screwed up in the camera.
That said, I'm now considering a move to JPG.  With my kids, I just don't have enough time anymore to process all my pictures, not only that, a lot of the time my wife or other family want to use my pictures right away.  It's also taking so much hard drive space that my Aperture library no longer fits on the SSD of my computer.  Finally, I'm missing out on a number of useful features that are only available when shooting in JPG.
It's a difficult decision to go JPG and I know I'll miss a shot here and there because of it but all in all, JPG seems like the right choice for me right now.

gradyp's gear list:gradyp's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a6000 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
gil
gil
Forum ProPosts: 16,561
Like?
99.95% JPG and 99.90% in manual mode. These allows me to really improve....(more)

my exposure/camera settings especially when doing my BIFs (majority of my shots). Tried RAW long time ago and not my cup to tea but I do recognize the improvements in software handling RAWs. Some  of my friends are so happy with RAW and I am happy too for them :-).

cheers,

gil

-- hide signature --

Cheers, gil - San Jose, CA Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

Nope. I wanted to, since Sony's in-camera B&W conversion is pretty damn good, but ultimately the differences it caused in my workflow, not to mention that nagging feeling of "storage is cheap, important photos aren't" on the back of my head, made me return to the comfy lands of RAW shooting.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot A1200 Samsung TL500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?
Still use both

Unless you're doing severe crops or very high ISO, JPEG is often quite fine. I like to tweak a bit in PS, do a mild unsharp mask, drop down to around 1K pixel width and post. The results typically mitigate any JPEG foibles UNLESS shooting high ISO or requiring any heavy cropping.

For flickr or other website galleries, I usually go RAW as the originals will be there to look at.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to goetz48, Oct 26, 2012

goetz48 wrote:

I shoot RAW if shots are important or have tricky WB conditions. For everyday use I shoot JPEG.

+1

RAW is for special occasions or tricky conditions.  I shot RAW only for 3 years and then decided that JPEG is good enough for 90% of my images and all I need to do is recognize when I need to shoot RAW.

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 50mm F1.4
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to rio911, Oct 26, 2012

I shoot RAW+JPEG just because..why not?

One annoyance in doing both is my memory card, when viewed back on my Sony TV, will display both the raw and jpg separately.  So during the review it's having to click the next button twice for each picture on the remote.

Not for long though, as I'll set my A99 up to record raw to one and jpg to the other.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
rtrski
Contributing MemberPosts: 793
Like?

I alternate.  And inevitably tick myself off at times by forgetting to switch, but only when I've been shooting JPG at lower than possible rez and forgot to switch back; 'accidentally' shooting RAW for a subject I'd have been happy with in JPG just merits an eyeroll and costs one or two extra mouse-clicks to downrez for exporting.

Relatives and holiday snaps, eBay product photos, just general messing around: JPG.  If I go out for a real "photo excursion" to a wildlife park, or hummingbird hunting, or am seriously hunting macro subjects, or diving....RAW.  The extra after-the-fact editability in white balance if nothing else is worth it, but even then, I do a heavy triage and only bother to PP shots I think might be fairly nice.

I suspect a lot of real pro photogs dial in their cameras the way they want (perhaps even have settings on a per-lens or event-basis) and then shoot JPG for pure speed of output.   Don't let anyone tell you either JPG is for amateurs/losers, or all pros shoot RAW.  As with anything (lens focal length ranges, camera brands and UI/ergo choices, EVF vs. OVF) there's a lot of overlapping pros and cons.

-- hide signature --

budding (translation: currently incompetent) underwater photographer wannabe http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrski

Maxeyesore
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?
In reply to rtrski, Oct 26, 2012

I shoot raw because I as much as I don't like noise, I like smeared oil paintings even less.

-- hide signature --

Pentax...Find Your Element.

Maxeyesore's gear list:Maxeyesore's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Pentax K-5 IIs
rtrski
Contributing MemberPosts: 793
Like?
Seriously, you couldn't just answer "no, because I think I lose too much detail?"
In reply to Maxeyesore, Oct 26, 2012

For someone who 'doesn't like noise' you certainly clutter many threads with sarcasm and posturing vs. actual constructive commentary.

Nothing wrong with your opinion.  But the continual snark gets irritating.  Off to the digital round file with you.

-- hide signature --

budding (translation: currently incompetent) underwater photographer wannabe http://www.flickr.com/photos/rtrski

dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,241
Like?
Recent Trip Experience

Just got back from cruise of Hawaii.  Shot JPEG + RAW but only processed JPEG to get quick results to share with companions and to produce e-mail size files.

After getting home I finally got around to seperating out the RAW files and putting them in Light Room.  Quickly discovered my origional decision had been a BAD MISTAKE.  I could have processed the RAW files in LR with better results and in considerably less time than I took with the JPEGs.

Won't make that mistake again.  I still shoot in both and use the JPEGs for a quick review of files I want to delete immediately and which are keepers but will go immediately to RAW in LR for pocessing.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads