If I migrate from APS-C to a99, which lenses will work?

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,244Gear list
Like?
If I migrate from APS-C to a99, which lenses will work?
Oct 25, 2012

I am considering replacement of my a77 with an a99, and wonder which of my lenses will work. Specifically, I am concerned that some lenses such as my Sigma 8-16 have a crop sensor imaging circle which does not cover the entire full frame. I am also equally concerned that auto focus or other lens automation will be reduced or eliminated entirely with this migration.

My specific A-mount lens collection is as follows:

Sigma 8-16

Sony CZ16-80

Sony 18-250

Sony 70-300G

Sony 35mm f/1.8 SAL35F18

Will any of these permit true full frame use. I understand that the crop factor which I ezxperience on APS-C bodies will no longer apply, but I am asking specifically which if any of these lenses will continue to have full automation, and also have coverage of the entire full frame sensor area.

Also, are there other issues I have not adddressed, such as very sub-optimal focusing given the way the a99 focusing works versus my current a77?

Thanks for any guidance.

Larry

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
J Birn
Contributing MemberPosts: 742Gear list
Like?
Re: If I migrate from APS-C to a99, which lenses will work?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, Oct 25, 2012

If you look at the lenses on dyxum, look at the 2nd item where it says "coverage: APS-C" or Full frame. For example, your Sigma 8-16 is APS-C.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sigma-8-16-F4.5-5.6-DC-HSM_lens579.html

It looks like it's just your Sony 70-300G that's full frame:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-AF-70-300-F4.5-5.6-G-SSM_lens439.html

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

J Birn's gear list:J Birn's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,637Gear list
Like?
In reply to J Birn, Oct 25, 2012

All these lenses will work fine with an A99 but only the 70-300 is a full frame lens. So when you shoot with the other lenses your A99 is going to crop down to about 10 MP. They will work fine, but you won't be getting 24 MP resolution.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
SpikeTheGlynn
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to J Birn, Oct 25, 2012

J Birn wrote:

If you look at the lenses on dyxum, look at the 2nd item where it says "coverage: APS-C" or Full frame. For example, your Sigma 8-16 is APS-C.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sigma-8-16-F4.5-5.6-DC-HSM_lens579.html

It looks like it's just your Sony 70-300G that's full frame:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-AF-70-300-F4.5-5.6-G-SSM_lens439.html

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

As Jeremy points out, you can check FF compatibility of any (i.e., all) alpha lens at dyxum: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

LSHorwitz1
Like?
In reply to SpikeTheGlynn, Oct 26, 2012

Thank you gentlemen for your replies! Looks like moving to full frame will be a bigger cost than I had originally expected. Also hate to lose the versatility and full functions of the superzoom 18-250 and ultrawide 8-16, which have become my 2 lens travel kit. 

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,808Gear list
Like?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, Oct 26, 2012

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

Thank you gentlemen for your replies! Looks like moving to full frame will be a bigger cost than I had originally expected. Also hate to lose the versatility and full functions of the superzoom 18-250 and ultrawide 8-16, which have become my 2 lens travel kit.

To replace the 18-250, you would need a 28-300.  I dont think those are great quality though.

A full frame equivalent of the 8-16mm is the Sigma 12-24mm

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
trainerKEN
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?

the question is... why do you want to go FF?  Maybe a APS-C camera can cater to your needs just fine.

aarif
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,840Gear list
Like?
In reply to trainerKEN, Oct 26, 2012

trainerKEN wrote:

the question is... why do you want to go FF? Maybe a APS-C camera can cater to your needs just fine.

Don't you see it's almost winter and the APS-C sensors hibernate so he needs an FF to shoot in the dark

aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +1 more
LSHorwitz1
Like?
In reply to aarif, Oct 26, 2012

aarif wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

the question is... why do you want to go FF? Maybe a APS-C camera can cater to your needs just fine.

Don't you see it's almost winter and the APS-C sensors hibernate so he needs an FF to shoot in the dark

Not so far from the truth! I want to do more low light / available light work and expect the full frame sensor will gain a noticeable improvement in noise reduction. The improved bokeh / reduced DOF may also have some eventual appeal also.

flaca
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to trainerKEN, Oct 26, 2012

You have the answers already regarding image circle coverage, but the code on the side of the lens also indicates crop or FF coverage. I think the following at the end of the code indicate APS-C or FF

Sony - DT = APS-C (no letters after aperture, or G or Z in code= FF I think)

Sigma - DC = APS-C, DG = FF

Tamron - DiII = APS-C, DI = FF

Phew.

I'm sure others have said but it's worth bearing in mind that FF glass is in general bigger, heavier and considerably more expensive than APS-C glass, unless you go for older Miinolta glass. Yes of course there are exceptions, but you won't find anything like the bargain 35mm F1.8 in FF.

So instead of budgeting $300-600 for a decent lens, you're often looking at 1.5 or 2x the cost for equivalent focal length (i.e. taking crop factor into account).

flaca
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

aarif wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

Not so far from the truth! I want to do more low light / available light work and expect the full frame sensor will gain a noticeable improvement in noise reduction. The improved bokeh / reduced DOF may also have some eventual appeal also.

In that case may I recommend the Sigma 50mm f1.4 - a fabulous lens on FF and a decent price. Equiv to 35mm on APS-C and so a very useful all purpose lens, especially when I want wider aperture than the Zeiss 24-70. And of course you can get very narrow DOF if you wish. You could wait for the Zeiss 50 1.4, but it will be much more than the $500 Sigma. Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro is also excellent and relatively cheap and also works as a very nice, though a bit slow, portrait lens. Beercan is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, it really is a lovely lens and they're still available at giveaway prices.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads