Canon should buy BlackBerry

Started Oct 25, 2012 | Discussions
jaydubbs15
Contributing MemberPosts: 611
Like?
Canon should buy BlackBerry
Oct 25, 2012

BlackBerry is a collossal failure and its stock price reflects that.  But the PDA market is extremely lucrative.  I actually like my BB because of its raised keyboard and the fact that I mostly use it to send and read emails and to make and receive calls.  But the BB could be rescued from obscurity with a high end camera feature!  That's where Canon comes in.   And given BB's plummeted stock price, Canon might be able to buy the company quite cheaply.  Now would be a good time to buy the company too, before it releases its new line of phones.  Canon could only manage the company better than the current BB management, and given Canon's camera market clout, it would raise BB's appeal considerably.  The only challenge would be to improve BB's web based abilities and to create and attract 3rd party apps.  But Canon couldn't do worse than BB itself and if it only added a high-end camera feature then that alone might be worthwhile for would-be consumers.  It would certainly make me think twice about switching to an iPhone or Android based phone.

Thoughts?

Jay

DWare
Contributing MemberPosts: 604
Like?
Re: Canon should buy BlackBerry
In reply to jaydubbs15, Oct 27, 2012

I don't think it would be a wise move.  There's too many OS for various photo-computer phones now and profit margins are so low that sales would have to be huge.  At this point, I believe it would be too much of a hurdle in trying to revive BB's RIM and it's closed, proprietary base isn't appealing .  If Canon were to dabble toes in the market with a photography emphasis, which might be a good decision in looking how things are evolving, probably best to go with the open, linux based droid system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jaydubbs15
Like?
In reply to DWare, Nov 2, 2012

DWare wrote:

I don't think it would be a wise move. There's too many OS for various photo-computer phones now and profit margins are so low that sales would have to be huge. At this point, I believe it would be too much of a hurdle in trying to revive BB's RIM and it's closed, proprietary base isn't appealing . If Canon were to dabble toes in the market with a photography emphasis, which might be a good decision in looking how things are evolving, probably best to go with the open, linux based droid system.

With the value of BB's stock right now, it might be profitable to buy the company and then dump its operating system in favor of something else.

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
The problem is....
In reply to jaydubbs15, Nov 3, 2012

that Canon doesn't have any "high-end" sensors for small cameras. I believe most of their P&S cameras have sensors source from Sony.

-- hide signature --

OM-D for sale; see classifieds forum.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
QuicksilverCA
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
In reply to jaydubbs15, Dec 2, 2012

I really don't see Canon as a good fit with Blackberry

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004Gear list
Like?
In reply to jaydubbs15, Dec 2, 2012

Not going to ever happen. Blackberry (RIM) is presently coming out of a 'slump' and the stock price is raising. They have plenty of cash on hand and with restructuring their demise has been news media hyped to the limit. Their long awaited OS-10 will be launched in January.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
donaldsc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
In reply to jaydubbs15, Dec 3, 2012

What would Canon gain from this purchase?  What would they gain even if BB went bankrupt and Canon could get it for free?

-- hide signature --

Don

Opinionator
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to donaldsc, Dec 3, 2012

These are the kind of rumors owners of sinking stocks like to spread.

PhotoPhart
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonA2, Dec 3, 2012

A few years ago another Canadian company involved with phones hit the wall (Nortel), now it BB's turn.

drteng
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to jaydubbs15, Dec 4, 2012

Seems like an unnecessary investment of time and money on Canon's part, if they were interested in getting into the phone/PDA/etc.. markets they would've by now. Blackberry unfortunately lost too much ground.

jaydubbs15
Like?
In reply to donaldsc, Dec 4, 2012

donaldsc wrote:

What would Canon gain from this purchase? What would they gain even if BB went bankrupt and Canon could get it for free?

-- hide signature --

Don

A plaftform on which to tap into the enormously profitable PDA market.  PDA's occupy a large share of the photographic tool market, and that market share is expected to increase.  The combination of Canon and RIM could be one that raises both ships, especially if Canon could buy RIM cheaply.

Jay

jaydubbs15
Like?
In reply to Opinionator, Dec 4, 2012

Opinionator wrote:

These are the kind of rumors owners of sinking stocks like to spread.

It's not a rumor, but merely a "what if ...."  I don't own any RIM or Canon stock.  But I do own Canon cameras and an RIM PDA.

Jay

jaydubbs15
Like?
In reply to DWare, Dec 4, 2012

DWare wrote:

I don't think it would be a wise move. There's too many OS for various photo-computer phones now and profit margins are so low that sales would have to be huge. At this point, I believe it would be too much of a hurdle in trying to revive BB's RIM and it's closed, proprietary base isn't appealing . If Canon were to dabble toes in the market with a photography emphasis, which might be a good decision in looking how things are evolving, probably best to go with the open, linux based droid system.

Yes, that might be preferable.  I thought that if RIM could be bought for the right price then it might be worthwhile.  There is something unique and attractive about BB's.  I like it mostly for its raised keyboard and speedy email response times.  But unless BB' vastly improve with the new launch in January I will trade in my BB for another phone.  Hopefully, I'll find one with a decent raised keyboard for email/text use.

Jay

jaydubbs15
Like?
In reply to jaydubbs15, Jan 31, 2013

Blackberry 10 looks like a winner, having read David Pogue's article in the NY Times today.  I especially like the nifty photo software enabling users to go back and forth a few seconds to capture the best facial expression per face in a photo.  But BB still might fail.  Canon should still consider buying BB.  It would provide Canon with a cell phone platform that is the largest market for photography hardware.  Bringing Canon into the fold might provide BB with the edge it needs against fierce rivals like the iphone, droid, and now microsoft.

Jay

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
In reply to jaydubbs15, Feb 2, 2013

Blackberry and RIM is as good as a Blackhole in Europe. Nobody's even seen one here.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Essai
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
In reply to wazu, Feb 2, 2013

wazu wrote:

Blackberry and RIM is as good as a Blackhole in Europe. Nobody's even seen one here.

-- hide signature --

clueless comment.

" U.K. is the biggest BlackBerry market in the world."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57567083-94/why-the-blackberry-z10-is-on-sale-in-the-u.k-first/

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
In reply to Essai, Feb 2, 2013

UK is not all of Europe. Nobody and I mean nobody uses Blackberry in Scandinavia, and well that's 5 euopean countries. Anyways the phone sucks I've seen them while visiting Canada. Maybe thats why you brits have adopted it.

-- hide signature --

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004Gear list
Like?
In reply to wazu, Feb 2, 2013

BlackBerry, formerly RIM, is very well known worldwide.  They have had a disastrous few years lately but with the introduction of new hardware and software they are repositioned to give Apple, Samsung, Google and even M.S. a good run.

Most companies have ups and downs and consumer products get beaten up when management gets complacent.  BlackBerry will survive and slowly get back into the game.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Essai
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
In reply to wazu, Feb 3, 2013

wazu wrote:

UK is not all of Europe. Nobody and I mean nobody uses Blackberry in Scandinavia, and well that's 5 euopean countries. Anyways the phone sucks I've seen them while visiting Canada. Maybe thats why you brits have adopted it.

-- hide signature --

you should stop writing about things you have no clue about.

And Im not british btw.

BIJ001
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,595Gear list
Like?
Re: Europe UK Scandinavia
In reply to wazu, Feb 5, 2013

wazu wrote:

UK is not all of Europe. Nobody and I mean nobody uses Blackberry in Scandinavia,

It is not very accurate to put Europe if one means the UK or Scandinavia.

-- hide signature --

Iván József Balázs
(Hungary)

BIJ001's gear list:BIJ001's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads