Cartagena Photo
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 and sensor evolution
In reply to Maxeyesore, Oct 26, 2012

Maxeyesore wrote:

J Birn wrote:

Maxeyesore wrote:

The problem with sony's sensor evolution is that eventually, they sell it to another brand. They need to work on things that they and only they will be using.

I'm trying to imagine when that's going to create a problem shooting with my a99. Imagine I'm about to get a perfect shot, the moment's great, the camera's ready, my subject is smiling in front of a beautiful background, but then -- suddenly -- I realize that other people have nice cameras also, and that ruins the moment, so I just don't take the picture.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Sony has proprietary technology. I appreciate having focus range set on the camera instead of more limited options on some of the lenses. I love having focus peaking. But, making sensors in a mass-production environment is what helped Sony catch up to and pass Canon, that's a smart business decision that's working.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

I don't think you are being rational here. The K5II and II-s are going to be the best overall APSC package on the market per dollar, and perhaps overall. The 7D is still a great camera, the D7k is solid, and the a77 has some nice features. None of them can compare to the new K5. Even the old K5 was considered the best apsc out there, not the a77. Even if you down sample the a77 files, the K5 is still a cleaner file. What hapens if you "Find your Element" and it happens to be water? How many of the a-mount lenses are weather sealed? how many of those are good quality?

Pentax' * lenses are all weather sealed, and they are the best in the lineup. CIF for manual focus, steel chassis, best weather sealing in the industry, newly removed LPF, worlds leading lowlight AF of -3EV, best apsc DR ever created, highest apsc IQ rating in history. Forget the a77, the a99 is going to have some competition.

-- hide signature --

Pentax...Find Your Element.

why are you posting this. it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. it simply makes no sense.

Cartagena Photo's gear list:Cartagena Photo's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 20mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Bridge CS6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ck3
ck3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Oct 26, 2012

GuyMcKie wrote:

Resized a 6400 ISO raw conversion to 6mp. LR4.2 only and exported tot jpeg with lightroom.

The iq is as good as 200 ISO on my old Minolta 7D.

No, it isn't. Unfortunately we don't have the imaging resource test scene shot with the 7D but I'm sure it would look better than the mushy ISO 6400 sample that has a very distinct NR look to it (and what's with the blocked shadows in your jpeg sample).

At ISO 200 not only should the 7D show better details, it would also exhibit a better dynamic range.

While we should acknowledge the progress made in imaging sensors, hyperbole doesn't help.

Trollmann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Oct 26, 2012

The a99 sensor is actually a tour-de-force in sensor technology (compact wells, on chip noise reduction, on chip focus detection, read out speed and reduced read out noise, improvedlow light sensitivity and increased spees to name a few very ingenious advances) - and this new sensor generation is also touching EMCCD and sCMOS technology. So from an egeneering point of view this sensor is a small wonder.

But to those having no idea about sonsors and sensor technology this is naturally the usual crap from Sony - but keep on dreaming...

I am awake, and I am very impressed by achievements leading to this new sensor generation!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads