Panasonic FZ200 vs Nikon D90

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions
DeToxLL5
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Panasonic FZ200 vs Nikon D90
Oct 24, 2012

I'm considering selling my D90 and buying the FZ200.  My D90 has a pretty standard lens, 18-200 3.5-5.6.  Both cameras are about the same MP.  I know the D90 has a much larger sensor, but in real life how much ISO can I trade off at F2.8 to keep the same shutter speed?  I shoot my kid's sporting events and that happens under lights at night.  The D90 does pretty good, but I would really like to have more zoom and better video.  Noise is obviously my major concern.

Should I take the plunge and get rid of my DSLR?  I'm really leaning toward the FZ200.  I'm chomping at the bit for the reviews from DPREVIEW and DCRESOURCE to be posted.

Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,221
Like?
Re: Panasonic FZ200 vs Nikon D90
In reply to DeToxLL5, Oct 24, 2012

While I like the FZ200, it does not replace a DSLR.  I look at it las providing me with a f2.8 600 lens to use as an adjunct to my DSLR.  The D90 wlll have way better AF and IQ is in another leaque than the FZ200.  Just my opinion.

Dale

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lechero
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,198
Like?

DeToxLL5 wrote:

...................... Noise is obviously my major concern.  ...............................

This is a major consideration. I would advise you to be very well convinced before dismissing D90.

Eduardo

DeToxLL5
Like?
In reply to Lechero, Oct 24, 2012

I understand that IQ will not be as good as the D90, but I will not be making poster sized prints.  Up to 8X10, am I going to see that big of a difference with the FZ200?  I'm just not sure how the math works out on ISO vs Shutter speed.  I will have to be at F2.8 to get decent shots at night.  Is it truly a 1 to 1 trade off?  If I'm shooting at ISO 400 with the FZ200 at 600MM, I would only be 1/2 as close at 200MM(1.5X conversion) on the Nikon at F5.6.  Would my ISO have to be 1600 on the Nikon to get the same shutter speed?

Would there really be a noticeable difference between them with AF speed?  From the reviews I've seen the FZ200 is pretty quick to focus and does really well with moving subjects in burst mode.  I would really like to hear from FZ200 owners about AF speed especially with moving subjects.

The other major factor for me is FPS.  The high speed video would be cool too, even at lower resolution.  I do a lot of analysis of sporting events.  Seems like the FZ200 is a lot better at this.  12 FPS is impressive, not to mention 40 and 60 FPS even though they are lower resolution.

BSmith52
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?

I currently have a Nikon D40 and would not even trade it for the FZ200.  I love my FZ200 and will prollly like it more as I get used to it, but it is 2 different types of photography for me. I would trade a spoon for a bigger spoon, and a fork for a bigger fork, but not a spoon for a fork.

And the D90 is no slouch camera either. I think you would miss it.

JMHO,

Barry

BSmith52's gear list:BSmith52's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
bmori
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
In reply to BSmith52, Oct 24, 2012

I think there is just something about nikon shots that pany can't match. I say this with having a D90, my wife uses a D40 and I just gave may daughter my FZ50.

Having said that for video pany is something Nikon just quite can't match. I use a TZ8 for that or a G3.

I did seriously consider the FZ200 over the G3 for video but the G3 won on portability. When I got the G3 I really hoped it would be as good as the D90 for stills but was dissapointed.

If you want a camera that is good for vids as well as stills the the FZ200 is probably the better camera. If you want a camera that can delivery quality images then keep the D90.

cheers

Bill

TanukiSan
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

You're gonna miss the D90..... I sometimes do......

Last December I sold my D90 with Nikon 18-200 VR and Sigma 120-400 I wanted a smaller camera since I often left the D90 at home when going out in the field with the dogs.
First I got me a Nikon P7100 which was a total disaster and I wont go  into that any further now.
After I got rid of the P7100 I bought a FZ150 which was a huge step forward in IQ and speed. (compared to the P7100 that is). A recently got myself a FZ200 in some sort of bargain. (€ 240 under the regular prices at that moment).

Although I was very happy with the FZ150 and still discovering the great capablities of the FZ200 I do miss my D90 with 18-200 now and then. The IQ and noise level are superior to the FZ just as I expected so no real surprise to me. But in all....

I wouldn't trade my FZ200 for a D90 with a 18-200 which probably would stay in the closet again instead of taking it with me. The FZ fits in the (large) pockets of my jacket, is a lot lighter so this is the camera I take with me.

And we all know:

The best camera is the camera you have with you.

or

The best shots are taken with the camera you have with you.

But in the end it's all a very personal matter I guess and these are just my personal findings

TanukiSan's gear list:TanukiSan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
DeToxLL5
Like?
In reply to TanukiSan, Oct 25, 2012

In a perfect world, I could keep both.  Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy the FZ200 right now.  I guess I should just be content and hold on to my D90 and wait for a deal on the FZ200.  The possibility of slowing down action to 240 fps is just so intriguing.  Amazing that 24 FPS is not enough.  A baseball swing happens REALLY quickly.

If I'm going to keep the D90, I need to change lenses.  I have a Tamron 18-200 and it loses focus in burst mode.  The first shot is in focus and then the rest are out of focus.  I guess the Nikon 18-200 is the way to go?

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,174Gear list
Like?
In reply to DeToxLL5, Oct 25, 2012

DeToxLL5 wrote:

In a perfect world, I could keep both. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy the FZ200 right now. I guess I should just be content and hold on to my D90 and wait for a deal on the FZ200. The possibility of slowing down action to 240 fps is just so intriguing. Amazing that 24 FPS is not enough. A baseball swing happens REALLY quickly.

If I'm going to keep the D90, I need to change lenses. I have a Tamron 18-200 and it loses focus in burst mode. The first shot is in focus and then the rest are out of focus. I guess the Nikon 18-200 is the way to go?

a friend of mine shoots nikon d7000 all the pro lens even the 300 2.8 vr11 7G  and hasnt picked it up in a month after buying the fz150 and the 200 his choice is the 150 over the 200.

cheers don

Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?

DeToxLL5 wrote:

. . . I would really like to have more zoom and better video. Noise is obviously my major concern.

Lets face it -- you're going to get noise with any small sensor camera like the FZ200 at anything over 500 ISO, but if you stay around 400-500  ISO, noise should not be an issue, and you can get decent (actually pretty fantastic) low light shots with the f2.8 lens at 400 ISO.  Regarding your other two wants -- the FZ200 will pretty much blow the D90 away.  The regular video is fantastic, but the high-speed video is mind boggling good!

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
TanukiSan
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

The video option in the D90 is a nice feature and nothing more than that
and can't be compared to the video IQ and options of the FZ200.

Not sure if it should be a 18-200 perse. Like all largezoom lenses it has it flaws as well.
I was quite happy with  it at the time but my wife wouldn't trade her Sigma 18-250 OS HSM
(and I wouldn't trade too.) Image IQ of both lenses is pretty good, so it a matter of personal preference again. If I would get me a new lens for a D90 today I defenitely would have a closer look at the Tamron 18-270 PZD as well.

My 2 euro cents.

TanukiSan's gear list:TanukiSan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
DaveyB
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
In reply to Buzz Lightyear, Oct 25, 2012

I had a Nikon D80 + 100-300mm 5.6 ED VR zoom and a Panny G1 with long zoom and have just sold the latter to buy an FZ200.  For outdoor shots, in reasonable light I take the FZ200 everywhere but for indoors/poor light I'd always favour the D80 - less noise and faster autofocus (though I'm really pleased with the focussing of the FZ200 in half-decent light - love the extra reach, too)

Hope this helps

David

-- hide signature --

Cheers David LX3, FZ10 and Nikon D80 + 18-200VR + 70-300VR

DeToxLL5
Like?
In reply to DaveyB, Oct 26, 2012

Well, the review on dcresource has me off of the FZ200 for now.  The noise is just nuts compared to the D90.  I will probably end up buying one when I can afford it and who knows, the IQ might be good enough for me 90% of the time.  I still wouldn't give up my D90 for that 10% I'd miss.

I enjoy hearing stories of SLR users that are now using the FZ200 for most of their shooting because of the portability.  That aspect really appeals to me.  I hate lugging around my giant bag for the D90 gear.  It would be neat to have the camera in my wife's purse that would get the job done pretty well in good light.

Anybody seen examples of a baseball swing at 120 or 240 frames from this camera?

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to DeToxLL5, Oct 27, 2012

I'd suggest doing what I did--bought the FZ150 (new model then) and kept my D80 kit. Personally, I wouldn't sell the D90 and 18-200VR until I had the FZ200 in hand and had used it for every shooting situation that I would likely want to do. Your DSLR won't depreciate anymore over the next six months and you could compare the two better. You may decide against the superzoom and regret selling the Nikon. There's always the 18-300VR or 70-300VR to pick up a bit of extra zoom. You can pick up the FZ200 over Black Friday at a discount, most likely ,and it won't cost anywhere near what you spent on your 18-200VR ($750 was what it set me back).

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,922Gear list
Like?
In reply to BSmith52, Oct 27, 2012

BSmith52 wrote:

I currently have a Nikon D40 and would not even trade it for the FZ200. I love my FZ200 and will prollly like it more as I get used to it, but it is 2 different types of photography for me. I would trade a spoon for a bigger spoon, and a fork for a bigger fork, but not a spoon for a fork.

And the D90 is no slouch camera either. I think you would miss it.

JMHO,

Barry

Yeah, sporks don't take the place of a spoon and fork, but do take up less space

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266
Like?
In reply to DeToxLL5, Oct 27, 2012

I recently used the FZ150 at my grandson's flag football game. I was using single shot mode and the evf. The evf blanks so long I would lose track of where he was in the mass of running bodies. I'm back to using the DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

ANAYV
Forum ProPosts: 10,185
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, Oct 27, 2012

Gary Waugh wrote:

I recently used the FZ150 at my grandson's flag football game. I was using single shot mode and the evf. The evf blanks so long I would lose track of where he was in the mass of running bodies. I'm back to using the DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Try setting the AF to 2fps AF or even 5.5fps AF.

This allows for continuous AF and 'live view'

The EVF shouldn't black out with this setting.

ANAYV

Sunny Caribe
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
In reply to bmori, Oct 27, 2012

bmori wrote:

(snip)

I did seriously consider the FZ200 over the G3 for video but the G3 won on portability.

Could you explain your reasoning here?  From my experience I find the FZ200 much lighter and more portable than my GH2, and although the G3 is slightly smaller than the GH2, it still weighs a great deal with a 600mm-equivalent lens. The FZ200 is almost too light to be believed after toting the GH2 around. Just curious.

Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to ANAYV, Oct 27, 2012

I never saw the point of an SLR for some users esp not with a superzoom lens. There are many reasons to want/use one..lens change, DOF control, proper flash system etc etc. If you need none of that I would imagine a decent bridge type camera will do the job

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,200Gear list
Like?
In reply to ANAYV, Oct 27, 2012

Also ensure that auto-review is disbled

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads