SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
Oct 24, 2012

Here is my latest comparison. These could be off by a small amount, but not anything that should make much of a difference.

No earth shattering news here, but this might clear up some of the slow lens complaints when compared to the SX40.

I am somewhat surprised at the outcome, as I was one of the biggest complainers myself. (-:

The cameras where set on their brightest setting in aperture priority. These "zoom points" are not necessarily when the F stop jumps to the next setting, but are just some chosen points and the resulting F stop decided by the camera.

**SX50**           **SX40**

24mm -  F3.4      24mm –  F2.8

40mm –  F3.4      40mm –  F4.5

100mm – F5.0     100mm – F5.0

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm  - F5.6     525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

950mm – F5.6

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are welcome.

Ken

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hannenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

thank you Ken53.  That's actually some of the most useful information I've seen posted regarding the SX40/SX50 differences.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your input. I had my first chance to play with an SX50 for an hour or so, but in terrible rainy weather. Did find the focus speed and shutter lag to be much superior to my SX40, and absolutely loved the zoom assist lock button (I'm going to have to look into how it works since it almost feels like the sensor is "taking a picture" and holding it on the screen). The SX50 certainly has a lot going for it.

A question I have for you is related to your current post. As I played with the zoom control in Av priority, it appeared that the f-stop opened up to f5.6 as soon as I touched the zoom control going down from 1200mm (to 1100mm?). Unfortunately, I don't have any examples between 950mm and 1100mm to check. Could you try just touching the zoom slightly down (I realize from trying just how hard that is   ), and then from the exif data tell us where the change actually occurs. Maybe just touching the lever does go all the way down to 950mm (boy, a manual zoom override would be nice), but I no longer have the camera to do the test. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Vision

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tonyinport
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

Interesting to see that the SX 40 performs so much better at the wide open.  I know that is it specification.  I am discovering the value of the SX 40 wide open.  The camera can do so much! Tony

 tonyinport's gear list:tonyinport's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 24, 2012

VisionLight wrote:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your input. I had my first chance to play with an SX50 for an hour or so, but in terrible rainy weather. Did find the focus speed and shutter lag to be much superior to my SX40, and absolutely loved the zoom assist lock button (I'm going to have to look into how it works since it almost feels like the sensor is "taking a picture" and holding it on the screen). The SX50 certainly has a lot going for it.

A question I have for you is related to your current post. As I played with the zoom control in Av priority, it appeared that the f-stop opened up to f5.6 as soon as I touched the zoom control going down from 1200mm (to 1100mm?). Unfortunately, I don't have any examples between 950mm and 1100mm to check. Could you try just touching the zoom slightly down (I realize from trying just how hard that is   ), and then from the exif data tell us where the change actually occurs. Maybe just touching the lever does go all the way down to 950mm (boy, a manual zoom override would be nice), but I no longer have the camera to do the test. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Vision

It does drop fast as you zoom back from 1200mm. The best I could come up with, is F5.6 at about 1000mm. This was just once so I didn’t want to post it. (-:

I was getting it to stay at F5.6 on the way up to 980-985mm more than a few times. I think the lens is smoothly and accurately is adjusting its aperture, but the readout we see, is taking chunky steps.  (-:

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to tonyinport, Oct 24, 2012

tonyinport wrote:

Interesting to see that the SX 40 performs so much better at the wide open.  I know that is it specification.  I am discovering the value of the SX 40 wide open.  The camera can do so much! Tony

Hi Tony

Yep there is no substitute for a brighter lens. My SX40 is not going up for sale, not even close. (-:

I am hoping they are both going to be great camas. (-:

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

Ken53 wrote:

Here is my latest comparison. These could be off by a small amount, but not anything that should make much of a difference.

No earth shattering news here, but this might clear up some of the slow lens complaints when compared to the SX40.

I am somewhat surprised at the outcome, as I was one of the biggest complainers myself. (-:

The cameras where set on their brightest setting in aperture priority. These "zoom points" are not necessarily when the F stop jumps to the next setting, but are just some chosen points and the resulting F stop decided by the camera.

**SX50**           **SX40**

24mm -  F3.4      24mm –  F2.8

40mm –  F3.4      40mm –  F4.5

100mm – F5.0     100mm – F5.0

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm  - F5.6     525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

950mm – F5.6

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are welcome.

Ken

Just checked my SX40, also in Av mode, and got the following results:

24mm = f2.7

35mm = f3.2

42mm = f3.5

55mm = f4.0

100mm = f4.5

Since that's the range I most often use, I think I'll stick with the SX40.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 24, 2012

RDCollins wrote:

Ken53 wrote:

Here is my latest comparison. These could be off by a small amount, but not anything that should make much of a difference.

No earth shattering news here, but this might clear up some of the slow lens complaints when compared to the SX40.

I am somewhat surprised at the outcome, as I was one of the biggest complainers myself. (-:

The cameras where set on their brightest setting in aperture priority. These "zoom points" are not necessarily when the F stop jumps to the next setting, but are just some chosen points and the resulting F stop decided by the camera.

**SX50**           **SX40**

24mm -  F3.4      24mm –  F2.8

40mm –  F3.4      40mm –  F4.5

100mm – F5.0     100mm – F5.0

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm  - F5.6     525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

950mm – F5.6

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are welcome.

Ken

Just checked my SX40, also in Av mode, and got the following results:

24mm = f2.7

35mm = f3.2

42mm = f3.5

55mm = f4.0

100mm = f4.5

Since that's the range I most often use, I think I'll stick with the SX40.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California


Maybe the read out display in different copies vary. I doubt that the actual lens would be that different. I checked mine multiple times over a two day span. These are what I get. I am glad you were able to produce better results with your copy.

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
You are right Doug...
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 24, 2012

RDCollins wrote:

Ken53 wrote:

Here is my latest comparison. These could be off by a small amount, but not anything that should make much of a difference.

No earth shattering news here, but this might clear up some of the slow lens complaints when compared to the SX40.

I am somewhat surprised at the outcome, as I was one of the biggest complainers myself. (-:

The cameras where set on their brightest setting in aperture priority. These "zoom points" are not necessarily when the F stop jumps to the next setting, but are just some chosen points and the resulting F stop decided by the camera.

**SX50**           **SX40**

24mm -  F3.4      24mm –  F2.8

40mm –  F3.4      40mm –  F4.5

100mm – F5.0     100mm – F5.0

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm  - F5.6     525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

950mm – F5.6

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are welcome.

Ken

Just checked my SX40, also in Av mode, and got the following results:

24mm = f2.7

35mm = f3.2

42mm = f3.5

55mm = f4.0

100mm = f4.5

Since that's the range I most often use, I think I'll stick with the SX40.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California


Hi Doug (again)

I check the F3.5 limits and the F4.5 limits on the SX40 again. The read out display seems to take big steps. It seems to make a difference which way the zooming is moving. Going to a lesser magnification I was able to produce a F3.5 at 50mm and also a F4.5 at 200mm. So I’m sure your results are correct. I am a little surprised at the readout being sloppy. I would guess the lens is doing just what it needs to do.

That being said my 100mm stat on the SX40 is still clearly wrong.

It should be 4.5 and not 5.0 like my chart shows.

Thank You for your correction it’s appreciated.

Ken

PS:

FWIW I tried to edit my first reply to you but the Forums 15min timer deleted my response, so Ihad to start over. (-:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

Ken53 wrote:

RDCollins wrote:

Ken53 wrote:

Here is my latest comparison. These could be off by a small amount, but not anything that should make much of a difference.

No earth shattering news here, but this might clear up some of the slow lens complaints when compared to the SX40.

I am somewhat surprised at the outcome, as I was one of the biggest complainers myself. (-:

The cameras where set on their brightest setting in aperture priority. These "zoom points" are not necessarily when the F stop jumps to the next setting, but are just some chosen points and the resulting F stop decided by the camera.

**SX50**           **SX40**

24mm -  F3.4      24mm –  F2.8

40mm –  F3.4      40mm –  F4.5

100mm – F5.0     100mm – F5.0

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm  - F5.6     525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

950mm – F5.6

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are welcome.

Ken

Just checked my SX40, also in Av mode, and got the following results:

24mm = f2.7

35mm = f3.2

42mm = f3.5

55mm = f4.0

100mm = f4.5

Since that's the range I most often use, I think I'll stick with the SX40.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California


Maybe the read out display in different copies vary. I doubt that the actual lens would be that different. I checked mine multiple times over a two day span. These are what I get. I am glad you were able to produce better results with your copy.

Ken

I got my readings from actual photos using ZoomBrowser.

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Chart Corrected...
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

SX50/40 Lens brightness compared.

Thanks to Doug and his follow up on my stats. I learned two things.

One.. is that the display in these cameras seem to jump in large steps and the direction you are zooming makes a difference.  Not alot but enough.  (I do believe the readout info is what is used in the EXIF data also, as I was using the actual EXIF data in the photo.)

Two... I need to proof read a little more carefully, I had a typo in the 100mm stat.

**SX50**           **SX40**

24mm -  F3.4     24mm –  F2.8

40mm –  F3.4     40mm –  F3.5   (new stat)

100mm – F5.0     100mm – F4.5  (typo correction)

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm  - F5.6    525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

985mm – F5.6                            (new stat)

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are "still" welcome. (-:

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to Ken53, Oct 24, 2012

Why are you getting only f2.8 at 24mm when the lens is capable of f2.7?

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 24, 2012

RDCollins wrote:

Why are you getting only f2.8 at 24mm when the lens is capable of f2.7?

On my SX40, the f2.7 only appears in EXIF data when the lens is at rest at 4.3mm (24mm equiv). I have no images at 4.4mm or 4.5mm (I assume these focal lengths are too fine to choose with the motorized zoom), but a lot at 4.6mm images where I have no EXIF wider than f2.8 . So the f2.7 drops a fraction of a stop pretty quickly on the SX40.

EDIT: My eyes must be tired because I misread my database. I do have two images at 4.5mm, but they were not shot wide open. So 4.5mm is possible with the zoom lever. Don't know what its widest aperature is though.

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 24, 2012

RDCollins wrote:

Why are you getting only f2.8 at 24mm when the lens is capable of f2.7?

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California


Correct... the SX40 is a 2.7. I have been using it for over a year now and I guess I never noticed the difference between 2.7 and 2.8. (-:

Spending so much time with DSLRs 2.8 just slipped out when typing it. Sorry about that but I don’t think it will make any difference.

**SX50** **SX40**

24mm - F3.4      24mm – F2.7   (was 2.8)

40mm – F3.4      40mm – F3.5   (new stat)

100mm – F5.0    100mm – F4.5 (typo correction)

200mm – F5.6     200mm – F5.0

525mm - F5.6     525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6     840mm – F5.8

985mm – F5.6                           (new stat)

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are "still" welcome. (-:

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,671Gear list
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to Ken53, Oct 25, 2012

Ken53 wrote:

RDCollins wrote:

Why are you getting only f2.8 at 24mm when the lens is capable of f2.7?

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California


Correct... the SX40 is a 2.7. I have been using it for over a year now and I guess I never noticed the difference between 2.7 and 2.8. (-:

Spending so much time with DSLRs 2.8 just slipped out when typing it. Sorry about that but I don’t think it will make any difference.

**SX50** **SX40**

24mm - F3.4 24mm – F2.7 (was 2.8)

40mm – F3.4 40mm – F3.5 (new stat)

100mm – F5.0 100mm – F4.5 (typo correction)

200mm – F5.6 200mm – F5.0

525mm - F5.6 525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6 840mm – F5.8

985mm – F5.6 (new stat)

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are "still" welcome. (-:

Ken

Ken, it seems really odd that at 525mm and 840mm the lens would be f5.8 and then open up to f5.6 when zooming out further to 985mm?!  That doesn't seem right.  I suspect it is either f5.6 the whole way, or there is some readout error. Could your recheck that.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

 Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Oct 25, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Ken53 wrote:

RDCollins wrote:

Why are you getting only f2.8 at 24mm when the lens is capable of f2.7?

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California


Correct... the SX40 is a 2.7. I have been using it for over a year now and I guess I never noticed the difference between 2.7 and 2.8. (-:

Spending so much time with DSLRs 2.8 just slipped out when typing it. Sorry about that but I don’t think it will make any difference.

**SX50** **SX40**

24mm - F3.4 24mm – F2.7 (was 2.8)

40mm – F3.4 40mm – F3.5 (new stat)

100mm – F5.0 100mm – F4.5 (typo correction)

200mm – F5.6 200mm – F5.0

525mm - F5.6 525mm - F5.8

840mm – F5.6 840mm – F5.8

985mm – F5.6 (new stat)

1200mm –F6.5

Any corrections are "still" welcome. (-:

Ken

Ken, it seems really odd that at 525mm and 840mm the lens would be f5.8 and then open up to f5.6 when zooming out further to 985mm?! That doesn't seem right. I suspect it is either f5.6 the whole way, or there is some readout error. Could your recheck that.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale,

In the hour I played with the SX50, I noticed the same thing Ken reported. In the middle upper zoom range, the widest aperature actually got better for a while before going smaller again. It could very well be an effect caused by the moving lens groups in this very intricate optical design. Or a bug in the reporting system. Going to take some digging to find out.

Vision

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kd6vm
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 25, 2012

Hi Dale,

Maybe I am missing something, but the way I read Ken's chart is that the SX50 at 525mm is 5.6 while the SX40 is 5.8. Same at 840mm. It is only the SX50 that can go above that, so it stays at 5.6 at 985mm - it didn't go down from 5.8.

Ralph

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Re: Chart Corrected...
In reply to kd6vm, Oct 25, 2012

kd6vm wrote:

Hi Dale,

Maybe I am missing something, but the way I read Ken's chart is that the SX50 at 525mm is 5.6 while the SX40 is 5.8. Same at 840mm. It is only the SX50 that can go above that, so it stays at 5.6 at 985mm - it didn't go down from 5.8.

Ralph

You are right Dale, and thanks for explaining it correctly.

My chart was much easier to understand when I typed it with nice orderly strait columns.

Unfortunately when I hit the “post” button, DPR sucked out all my blank spaces. Now it is much harder to read.

Thanks for the reply

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
Easier to Read Chart (not edited by DPR)
In reply to Ken53, Oct 25, 2012

_______SX50_____SX40______

24mm --- F3.4______F2.7

40mm –- F3.4 ______F3.5 - (new stat)

100mm – F5.0______F4.5 - (typo correction)

200mm – F5.6______F5.0

525mm - F5.6______F5.8

840mm - F5.6______F5.8

985mm – F5.6______(na) _ (new stat)

1200mm –F6.5______(na)

Any corrections are "still" welcome. (-:

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
Is the half stop difference really going to make that much difference? (NT)
In reply to Ken53, Oct 25, 2012
-- hide signature --

Nick P

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads