Where is the DP GOLD review of A99?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Questions
Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
Re: Where is the DP GOLD review of A99?
In reply to ET2, Oct 25, 2012

Perhaps they need to learn how to focus a Sony camera first ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Your psychiatrist deserves a Gold Award!
In reply to digititus, Oct 25, 2012

digititus wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

digititus wrote:

On the other hand maybe not, because he doesn't seem to be making any progress with your condition!

So such comments deserve a thumb up?

Now I start to understand this thumb-dumb system! LOL!

I guess the thumbs up is an indication that at least one other reader has tired of this guys obsession with gold awards.

Makes the use of thumbs even clearer for me!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Eleson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maxeyesore, Oct 25, 2012

:-DMaxeyesore wrote:

Karl Scharf wrote:

Why is someone so obsessed with DP awards, and awards in general???

The answer to your question, is exaggerated brand pride. Many insecure people look for external validation ....

[snip]

I will be receiving the K5II-s soon and I could care less if they give it the plastic award. It is what it is, regardless of what others think or say.
--
To see is to believe...PENTAX

Thanks! You made my day!!

-- hide signature --

Cheers Erland

Eleson's gear list:Eleson's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Gregg Helleren
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Re: Positive waves is the answer I think
In reply to Greg Beetham, Oct 25, 2012

The phrase "I couldn't care less" is generally what people mean when they say "I could care less". The latter is a relatively new idiom and, although contradicting the meaning, is gaining acceptance as an American colloquialism.

Some have suggested that "I could care less" is a truncated version of "As if I could care less", which does not contradict the meaning.

-- hide signature --

Warning: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye!

Gregg Helleren
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
In reply to Gregg Helleren, Oct 25, 2012

Although not idioms, here are a few of my favourite contradictory phrases from the news:

"The manager clearly misunderstood the problem."

"The contractor has given an exact estimate."

"We have obtained original copies of the invoices".

-- hide signature --

Warning: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye!

alan900
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Trousers
In reply to Gregg Helleren, Oct 25, 2012

You're right. It used to be 'I couldn't care less' - which without any evidence whatsoever I think of as the original English expression - whereas it's recently become shortened and rendered contradictory by more modern (American?) usage.

Another put-down I used to really like was 'all mouth and trousers', to mean someone who's a bit full of himself, which dates (I like to think) from the Fifties, or maybe the Forties, when trousers were really big. Recently it has become 'all mouth and no trousers'. Which is just bollocks.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,838Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Beetham, Oct 25, 2012

Greg Beetham wrote:

I often see people say ‘I could care less’ about something or other and wonder what is meant by that. The statement indicates that it IS possible to care less by a further unknown amount.

That gave me a good laugh and I have often felt the same way about that expression. You're right. It should be "I couldn't care less".

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
BMWX5
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142Gear list
Like?
In reply to BMWX5, Nov 1, 2012

DP admin, just give us a teaser that the review is coming...

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,761Gear list
Like?
In reply to BMWX5, Nov 1, 2012

BMWX5 wrote:

DP admin, just give us a teaser that the review is coming...

grow up, man. A99 hardly started shipping this week. D600 has been shipping for two months and hasn't been reviewed yet.

BMWX5
Senior MemberPosts: 4,142Gear list
Like?
In reply to BMWX5, Nov 13, 2012

BMWX5 wrote:

Many other professional photography websites already had published their own review. I can't wait DP...Platinum award!

Now that the D600 review is out, I have a feeling, A99 is next. The final score should beat D600 easily  since the cons of D600 is not an issue in Sony A99.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,451
Like?
Overlooking a "small" detail.
In reply to BMWX5, Nov 13, 2012

BMWX5 wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

Many other professional photography websites already had published their own review. I can't wait DP...Platinum award!

Now that the D600 review is out, I have a feeling, A99 is next. The final score should beat D600 easily since the cons of D600 is not an issue in Sony A99.

You're assuming it won't have negatives that the D600 does not suffer (or less) from....

Not to mention the elephant in the room that is called price, since ratings are always in the context of a certain price. If all had been equal, the price alone would make it score lower. Luckily (for the A99?) we're talking ceteris non paribus here.

Michaels7
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
How so?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Nov 13, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

Now that the D600 review is out, I have a feeling, A99 is next. The final score should beat D600 easily since the cons of D600 is not an issue in Sony A99.

You're assuming it won't have negatives that the D600 does not suffer (or less) from....

Not to mention the elephant in the room that is called price, since ratings are always in the context of a certain price. If all had been equal, the price alone would make it score lower. Luckily (for the A99?) we're talking ceteris non paribus here.

When Sony's price target is the 5D III and D800. 5D cost more with a similar size sensor. Sony has more bells and whistles than the D600 with the same sensor. If price comes up as too expensive, imo Dpreview fails.

Michaels7's gear list:Michaels7's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,451
Like?
Re: How so?
In reply to Michaels7, Nov 13, 2012

Michaels7 wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

When Sony's price target is the 5D III and D800. 5D cost more with a similar size sensor. Sony has more bells and whistles than the D600 with the same sensor. If price comes up as too expensive, imo Dpreview fails.

Like I said, all else is not equal, so the A99 can score points vs the D600, but it will also lose in certain areas compared to the D800 and 5DmkIII, no doubt.

Michaels7
Like?
Re: How so?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Nov 14, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

Michaels7 wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

BMWX5 wrote:

Like I said, all else is not equal, so the A99 can score points vs the D600, but it will also lose in certain areas compared to the D800 and 5DmkIII, no doubt.

Yeah I got that. I was asking from a pricing position. The other things I've already concluded will get pluses over the others and minuses compared to the others.

J Birn
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
Silver coming soon...
In reply to BMWX5, Nov 14, 2012

I think the a99 review is just around the corner.

I know Sony SLT cameras have been winning a lot of Gold awards.People on this forum are getting used to them, after a55 won the Gold, a57 won the Gold, and a65 won the Gold. These Gold awards have been for performance that is not only excellent, but clearly exceeds other cameras in their price class. Compare the shooting speeds of Canon or Nikon cameras in the price class of those cameras, and you can see the clear leadership position.

The a99 is an amazing camera in many ways. I love mine. But it isn't yet in the category-killer zone where it greatly out-paces all competing offerings in a similar price range. It's just another camera that could be the right choice for some users, and that usually turns into a Silver review. I see this just like giving something a 4-star review on Amazon, when you have a great product overall with just a few things that might be better for a camera in its price range, that has Silver written all over it.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

Michaels7
Like?
Maybe and maybe not.
In reply to BMWX5, Nov 14, 2012

BMWX5 wrote:

I don't really take Dpreview serious. It's cool reading the stats etc. But I find the user's experience a bit more reliable. The review doesn't define, well at least to me, define the camera's stats etc. I do my own review.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads