Retina MacBook Pro 13'' vs 15'' for Aperture?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions
Stakka Matt
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Retina MacBook Pro 13'' vs 15'' for Aperture?
Oct 24, 2012

Hi All,

I run Aperture on my 2009 13'' MBP (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB RAM only). Mainly Fuji X100 jpegs. It's very slow. I travel a lot but I edit mainly at home on my 23'' Cinema Display. My laptop is my only computer with all work etc on it too.

So I've wanted a lighter, and much faster, laptop for some time. Like many I was hoping for the Retina MBP 13'' announced yesterday, but as we now know this has integrated graphics only and maxes out at 8GB RAM.

Question: Do you think the Retina MBP 13'' (assuming max RAM and best processor) will run Aperture "fast", or do I need to go with the rMBP 15'' to get a real boost in performance?? I'd prefer the 13'' due to its low weight.

Second question: If the rMBP 13'' will be fast enough, won't the 13'' MBA be almost as fast??

Many thanks for any experience or thoughts on this,

Cheers /Matt

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,872
Like?
Re: Retina MacBook Pro 13'' vs 15'' for Aperture?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Oct 24, 2012

If the computer you have now is the one I think it is, MacTracker says that it can take 8 GB of RAM.  Upgrading the RAM to 8 GB might be a cheap way to get a speed boost.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?

Looking at the top options, the 13" is dual core with intel GPU where the 25" is quad core with 650m GPU.

Until someone runs some specific aperture based tests comparing the two it's impossible to say how much faster the 15" will be, but rest assured there will be a very significant difference at times.

For CPU & GPU limited tasks the 15" will win hands down, it's got at least a 50% boost and could be much more (Educated guesstimates at the moment)

Even on single threaded tasks the 15" should be able to run faster even though the base clock (2.7) is slower (than 2.9) because the turboboost on the 15" (3.7) is faster than the 13" (3.6)

But... either machine will be faster than your 2009 machine. I went from a 2009 2.2 to a 2012 2.7 and while my benchmarks were only four times faster, some key tasks I run every few minutes (Software compiling) are upwards of 17x faster on the new machine than the old.

Info:

If the leaks are to be believed the geekbench scores of the 13" put it at a little more than half the speed of the 15" which makes sense as this is a multi-threaded test using all available cores.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/10/geekbench_again_leaks_13_inch_retina_macbook_pro_scores_now_with_8gb_memory

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/chart?q=model%3A%22MacBookPro10%2C2%22+platform%3A%22Mac+OS+X%22+architecture%3Ax86+bits%3A32+

vs

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/chart?q=model%3A%22MacBook+Pro+%28Retina%29%22+platform%3A%22Mac+OS+X%22+architecture%3Ax86+bits%3A32+

Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,260
Like?

Stakka Matt wrote:

Hi All,

I run Aperture on my 2009 13'' MBP (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB RAM only). Mainly Fuji X100 jpegs. It's very slow. I travel a lot but I edit mainly at home on my 23'' Cinema Display. My laptop is my only computer with all work etc on it too.

So I've wanted a lighter, and much faster, laptop for some time. Like many I was hoping for the Retina MBP 13'' announced yesterday, but as we now know this has integrated graphics only and maxes out at 8GB RAM.

Question: Do you think the Retina MBP 13'' (assuming max RAM and best processor) will run Aperture "fast", or do I need to go with the rMBP 15'' to get a real boost in performance?? I'd prefer the 13'' due to its low weight.

Second question: If the rMBP 13'' will be fast enough, won't the 13'' MBA be almost as fast??

Many thanks for any experience or thoughts on this,

Cheers /Matt

Have you considered a non retina 2012 MBP 13", adding 16GB of ram yourself and swapping the HD for an SSD. I have done same with a 2011 13" i7 mbp and it is lightning fast with aperture.

Stakka Matt
Like?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Oct 26, 2012

Many thanks for these points - all very valid. It's too bad we have to chose between Pro-level performance and small size. Question is still whether the 13'' rMBP will be fast enough for Aperture with 10,000-photo libraries and mainly large jpegs. It probably will, but I'll wait for some real-world tests.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,884
Like?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Oct 26, 2012

Stakka Matt wrote:

Many thanks for these points - all very valid. It's too bad we have to chose between Pro-level performance and small size. Question is still whether the 13'' rMBP will be fast enough for Aperture with 10,000-photo libraries and mainly large jpegs. It probably will, but I'll wait for some real-world tests.

It will be fast enough, I've run Aperture on a 2009 13" MBP (with a 9400M) and it ran perfectly fine 95% of time. Very occasionally on a 24" monitor I could notice a bit of a lag. Now, with my 2012 13" MBP things are much faster CPU-wise but also noticeably in the graphic department.

But what really gave Aperture an extra boost was to get a 500 GB SSD and put my library on it.

Of course, quad-core will be usefull during importing and exporting when raw CPU power counts but for most other tasks, the CPU and GPU power of the 2012 Ivy Bridge + HD4000 computers is absolutely fine in Aperture.

Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, Oct 28, 2012

noirdesir wrote:

Stakka Matt wrote:

It will be fast enough, I've run Aperture on a 2009 13" MBP (with a 9400M) and it ran perfectly fine 95% of time. Very occasionally on a 24" monitor I could notice a bit of a lag. Now, with my 2012 13" MBP things are much faster CPU-wise but also noticeably in the graphic department.

But what really gave Aperture an extra boost was to get a 500 GB SSD and put my library on it.

Of course, quad-core will be usefull during importing and exporting when raw CPU power counts but for most other tasks, the CPU and GPU power of the 2012 Ivy Bridge + HD4000 computers is absolutely fine in Aperture.

I came to the same conclusion. A 13" Core i7 MBP with SSD and 16GB RAM is a pocket rocket. I took a small Aperture library containing 25 heavily adjusted Canon 1DIII & 1DsIII RAW files to an Apple Store and tested speed of JPEG export. For reference, my 2008 8-core Mac Pro with 8GB RAM, an SSD boot drive, a 3-drive RAID 0 archive, and an ATI 4870 graphics upgrade, took 2:00.

13" MBP (2.5GHz dual-Core i5) - 2:00

13" MBP (2.9GHz dual-Core i7) - 1:30

15" MBP (2.7GHz quad-Core i7) - 1:00

15" rMBP (2.3GHz quad-Core i7) - 1:18

Finding that a 13" MBP could out-gun my 8-core Mac Pro was a real revelation. And, sexy as the 13" rMBP is, I like the disaster-resistance of having both SSD and HD built-in, with the HD cloning and Time Machine-ing the boot partition and backing up the data partition.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Stakka Matt
Like?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Nov 12, 2012

Some feedback. Thanks for all input which, together with some discussions on the photography section of Macrumors forums, helped settle this for me and I invested in the rMBP 13'' with the 2.9GHz i7 core. Again I edit photos on a calibrated matte Cinema Display 23''. Main selling point was portability as I travel a lot and I only want one computer.

I can confirm that I can run anything I want including Aperture and it's very, very fast in real life usage. I don't play games (on this machine) and I don't edit video. I can stream music through iTunes to remote speakers, surf the web, download and edit photos into Aperture, open Keynote slideshows etc at the same time with no issues, in fact with its SSD it seems lightning fast to me coming from my old one.

Jeffrey K Edwards
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Nov 16, 2012

Thanks for the follow up, much appreciated!

I will be ordering shortly with the same specs and this is very reassuring.

Jeffrey K Edwards's gear list:Jeffrey K Edwards's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
ChiFlow
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Jeffrey K Edwards, Jun 12, 2013

I'm in the process of making the same decision - shoot in raw and use Aperture.

I had a macbook pro 15 2011 model which was stolen.  Really keen to get the retina macbook pro 13.  My concern is the graphics card in the 13 inch.  I have been using a 2007 iMac - so have been using a slower older tech - while making up my mind.

Are you happy with your decision to go 13 inch?  And was it the retina display you got?

tradesmith45
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Jun 12, 2013

There's more to this. We don't just run Aperture, we spend more or less time in different parts of it, use plug-ins or external editors. So our usage profile has an impact on our performance needs.

Take a look at these 2 tests:

http://www.barefeats.com/aper313.html

http://www.barefeats.com/mbp12ma.html

For GPU dependent Aperture tasks, 13" MBPs & MBAs are slugs.  A quad core will be 1/5-1/4 faster for CPU intensive tasks.  Maybe the smaller boxes, 13" MBP, MBA & Minis, can't handle the added heat from a hi power GPU so they don't have 'em.  But it could also just be market differentiation - don't know.

BUT as has been pointed out, there are things you can do w/ what you've got.  In addition to HD changes (replacing what you've got or adding a fast external, & adding RAM, split your library into smaller segments.  Turn off face recognition.  For a long session in Aperture, turn everything else off to free memory.

I'm on a 2008 15" MBP w/ 6GB & an external Raid HD.  It doesn't scream but its getting me by for now.  Exporting a slideshow to burn to DVD takes forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrever!

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
tradesmith45
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stakka Matt, Jun 12, 2013

Stakka Matt wrote:

Aren't the 13" rMBPs limited to 8GB RAM & can't be expanded?

tradesmith45's gear list:tradesmith45's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Tom_N
Like?
In reply to tradesmith45, Jun 13, 2013

tradesmith45 wrote:

Aren't the 13" rMBPs limited to 8GB RAM & can't be expanded?

Yes.  On the 15" rMBP, RAM is also soldered-in, but you can order twice as much of it.

Tom_N
Like?
In reply to Jeffrey K Edwards, Jun 13, 2013

Jeffrey K Edwards wrote:

I will be ordering shortly with the same specs and this is very reassuring.

Now that Apple has updated the Airs, I wonder when the rMBPs will get the same treatment:  Intel Haswell CPUs (for extended battery life), PCI-E flash (for a speed boost), and 802.11ac (for a WiFi speed boost once enough places adopt it).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads