Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

Started Oct 24, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 362
Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?
1

Ran into a little bit of extra Cash and  what seems like to me a decent deal on a 5DC

Basically I already have a Fujifilm Xpro1 so I'm kind of holding back seeing as how that has waaay better hi ISO performance and is already a slow(er) methodical shooter, not exactly a sports camera lol. They kind of have the same-ish limitations as far as i understand when it comes to af speed and would call for a similar shooting style from what i understand so I wouldn't be gaining anything extra special to my current kit I don't think. On the other hand I wanted to get into full farm photography where focal lengths are true etc and feel like this might be a decent footdoor the door. I can pick up the 5Dc and at least one good lens and run with that for a while before eventually stepping up to a mkIII or whatever else is good at the time, building my glass collection along the way. This is where i see the most potential in it, being able to grow a nice collection of full frame lenses before going to something more modern, which puts this at a nice entry point into full frame IMO. I could of course get an entry level crop sensor for cheaper and but the same full frame lenses before eventually upgrading, but i have a feeling i wont be very happy with that for some reason. I'm kind of torn so it's  coming down to whether or not this is a good deal or not.

Guy is offering 5Dc body, battery grip, and 3 batteries for $600.Which is also the same price as a new lens for my current camera. Have never shot full frame so very interested.

Sorry for all the errors it's hard to edit on these forumsfrom an iPad

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
minor salazar
minor salazar Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?
1

Let me get straight to the point.......yes.

5Dc and 200 2.8L

5Dc and 17-40L

5Dc and 200 2.8L

5Dc and sigma 85 1.4

GREAT natural light camera. Noise at higher ISO's is very "film" like. Doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles but if you want a great "camera" and not a "great computer" that takes good pictures the 5D although a little long in the tooth is a gem....$600.00 for camera, grip and batteries!? that is a steal in my book. I owned the MK II version and sold it and came back to the 5Dc. Only thing I miss is larger LCD screen on the back and the ability to change settings via the LCD screen. Micro adj. also a nice feature, although I never had to use it.

(unknown member) OP Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

That first image is breathtaking!

I also found another deal. 5dc body, 8000 actuations, 6 batteries and spare twin charger, and 28-135 usm lens for $850 ( offered him 8 to see how firm he was, I think he will come down). Oh and a 16gb cf card (I don't currently have any)

I don't have any ef lenses so I'm leaning towards that package deal. Was just going to snag a nifty 50 to use in the meantime otherwise ( probrably still will for low light shooting)

minor salazar
minor salazar Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

newone757 wrote:

That first image is breathtaking!

I also found another deal. 5dc body, 8000 actuations, 6 batteries and spare twin charger, and 28-135 usm lens for $850 ( offered him 8 to see how firm he was, I think he will come down). Oh and a 16gb cf card (I don't currently have any)

I don't have any ef lenses so I'm leaning towards that package deal. Was just going to snag a nifty 50 to use in the meantime otherwise ( probrably still will for low light shooting)

First deal is better. Why do you need 6 batteries? Twin charger....eh...28-135 there are better lenses that are cheaper. Get a good used lens over on FM.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

Except annoying dust, LCD, lacking of LV features (which are not showstopper), 5Dc still generates the best IQ maximized at 12mp.  Or the only FF camera that still can generates fantastic IQ below $800.  I also own 5D2. 5D is slightly sharper due ot its weak AA filter. In certain senarios it has speical milky creamy look.

5Dc is also a stellar in skin tone such as ...again it shows special creamy color renditions.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2888141#forum-post-36646276

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
(unknown member) OP Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

minor salazar wrote:

newone757 wrote:

That first image is breathtaking!

I also found another deal. 5dc body, 8000 actuations, 6 batteries and spare twin charger, and 28-135 usm lens for $850 ( offered him 8 to see how firm he was, I think he will come down). Oh and a 16gb cf card (I don't currently have any)

I don't have any ef lenses so I'm leaning towards that package deal. Was just going to snag a nifty 50 to use in the meantime otherwise ( probrably still will for low light shooting)

First deal is better. Why do you need 6 batteries? Twin charger....eh...28-135 there are better lenses that are cheaper. Get a good used lens over on FM.

How about the 135 2.0L with it. The guy with the grip MIGHT be able to sell me Greg body, grip, and 135 2.0L for around $1200 . I've heard good things about the lens and if he lets it go for that, seems like a steal no?

(unknown member) OP Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

Wow those skin tones are STUNNING! Fuji has excellent colors, especially skin tones, so if I can get that kind of performance out of both I'd be extremely happy

Collett
Collett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

newone757 wrote:

Ran into a little bit of extra Cash and  what seems like to me a decent deal on a 5DC

Basically I already have a Fujifilm Xpro1 so I'm kind of holding back seeing as how that has waaay better hi ISO performance and is already a slow(er) methodical shooter, not exactly a sports camera lol. They kind of have the same-ish limitations as far as i understand when it comes to af speed and would call for a similar shooting style from what i understand so I wouldn't be gaining anything extra special to my current kit I don't think. On the other hand I wanted to get into full farm photography where focal lengths are true etc and feel like this might be a decent footdoor the door. I can pick up the 5Dc and at least one good lens and run with that for a while before eventually stepping up to a mkIII or whatever else is good at the time, building my glass collection along the way. This is where i see the most potential in it, being able to grow a nice collection of full frame lenses before going to something more modern, which puts this at a nice entry point into full frame IMO. I could of course get an entry level crop sensor for cheaper and but the same full frame lenses before eventually upgrading, but i have a feeling i wont be very happy with that for some reason. I'm kind of torn so it's  coming down to whether or not this is a good deal or not.

Guy is offering 5Dc body, battery grip, and 3 batteries for $600.Which is also the same price as a new lens for my current camera. Have never shot full frame so very interested.

Sorry for all the errors it's hard to edit on these forumsfrom an iPad

How much can a used 5dII be had for these days? I have never owned the 5dc, but I would think the additional megapixels, ability to microadjust focus, and sensor cleaning would be well worth the extra $.

-- hide signature --

Jim

(unknown member) OP Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

Collett wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Ran into a little bit of extra Cash and  what seems like to me a decent deal on a 5DC

Basically I already have a Fujifilm Xpro1 so I'm kind of holding back seeing as how that has waaay better hi ISO performance and is already a slow(er) methodical shooter, not exactly a sports camera lol. They kind of have the same-ish limitations as far as i understand when it comes to af speed and would call for a similar shooting style from what i understand so I wouldn't be gaining anything extra special to my current kit I don't think. On the other hand I wanted to get into full farm photography where focal lengths are true etc and feel like this might be a decent footdoor the door. I can pick up the 5Dc and at least one good lens and run with that for a while before eventually stepping up to a mkIII or whatever else is good at the time, building my glass collection along the way. This is where i see the most potential in it, being able to grow a nice collection of full frame lenses before going to something more modern, which puts this at a nice entry point into full frame IMO. I could of course get an entry level crop sensor for cheaper and but the same full frame lenses before eventually upgrading, but i have a feeling i wont be very happy with that for some reason. I'm kind of torn so it's  coming down to whether or not this is a good deal or not.

Guy is offering 5Dc body, battery grip, and 3 batteries for $600.Which is also the same price as a new lens for my current camera. Have never shot full frame so very interested.

Sorry for all the errors it's hard to edit on these forumsfrom an iPad

How much can a used 5dII be had for these days? I have never owned the 5dc, but I would think the additional megapixels, ability to microadjust focus, and sensor cleaning would be well worth the extra $.

-- hide signature --

Jim

maybe around 1300-1400 From what I've been seeing. Most people are pricing around 1600 which is what they go for new now With rebates! I did find a guy out of state selling for $1000 but I won't be in that area until Nov 3rd. I asked but I doubt he would hold it and I'm sure it will fly at that price.

I don't think those extra features are worth an extra grand but if I could get it for around 1000 I'd be all for it.

Collett
Collett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

newone757 wrote:

Collett wrote:

newone757 wrote:

Ran into a little bit of extra Cash and  what seems like to me a decent deal on a 5DC

Basically I already have a Fujifilm Xpro1 so I'm kind of holding back seeing as how that has waaay better hi ISO performance and is already a slow(er) methodical shooter, not exactly a sports camera lol. They kind of have the same-ish limitations as far as i understand when it comes to af speed and would call for a similar shooting style from what i understand so I wouldn't be gaining anything extra special to my current kit I don't think. On the other hand I wanted to get into full farm photography where focal lengths are true etc and feel like this might be a decent footdoor the door. I can pick up the 5Dc and at least one good lens and run with that for a while before eventually stepping up to a mkIII or whatever else is good at the time, building my glass collection along the way. This is where i see the most potential in it, being able to grow a nice collection of full frame lenses before going to something more modern, which puts this at a nice entry point into full frame IMO. I could of course get an entry level crop sensor for cheaper and but the same full frame lenses before eventually upgrading, but i have a feeling i wont be very happy with that for some reason. I'm kind of torn so it's  coming down to whether or not this is a good deal or not.

Guy is offering 5Dc body, battery grip, and 3 batteries for $600.Which is also the same price as a new lens for my current camera. Have never shot full frame so very interested.

Sorry for all the errors it's hard to edit on these forumsfrom an iPad

How much can a used 5dII be had for these days? I have never owned the 5dc, but I would think the additional megapixels, ability to microadjust focus, and sensor cleaning would be well worth the extra $.

-- hide signature --

Jim

maybe around 1300-1400 From what I've been seeing. Most people are pricing around 1600 which is what they go for new now With rebates! I did find a guy out of state selling for $1000 but I won't be in that area until Nov 3rd. I asked but I doubt he would hold it and I'm sure it will fly at that price.

I don't think those extra features are worth an extra grand but if I could get it for around 1000 I'd be all for it.

I hear you.  $600 for a 5d gives you a lot of camera for the $ (provided it's in good condition, low shutter count, etc.).  At the $1000 price differential that seems to be a sound decsision, but $1600 for a NEW 5dII is a sweet deal as well

-- hide signature --

Jim

minor salazar
minor salazar Senior Member • Posts: 1,619
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

newone757 wrote:

minor salazar wrote:

newone757 wrote:

That first image is breathtaking!

I also found another deal. 5dc body, 8000 actuations, 6 batteries and spare twin charger, and 28-135 usm lens for $850 ( offered him 8 to see how firm he was, I think he will come down). Oh and a 16gb cf card (I don't currently have any)

I don't have any ef lenses so I'm leaning towards that package deal. Was just going to snag a nifty 50 to use in the meantime otherwise ( probrably still will for low light shooting)

First deal is better. Why do you need 6 batteries? Twin charger....eh...28-135 there are better lenses that are cheaper. Get a good used lens over on FM.

How about the 135 2.0L with it. The guy with the grip MIGHT be able to sell me Greg body, grip, and 135 2.0L for around $1200 . I've heard good things about the lens and if he lets it go for that, seems like a steal no?

Yes, you will LOVE the 135L. Freaking fantastic lens. Sharp, beautiful bokeh, small and compact, quick to focus.......All around great combo.

BTW, the 135L on FM is going anywhere from $750.00-$850.00

Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,117
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

What is a 5DC and while you're at it STOP useing the frikin ANNOYING term "pull the trigger"

Richard

 Richard's gear list:Richard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +6 more
(unknown member) OP Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?
1

Richard wrote:

What is a 5DC and while you're at it STOP useing the frikin ANNOYING term "pull the trigger"

Richard

You know exactly what it is. I added the C because if you've ever tried to search anything on the original 5D you'll mostly get mk II and III results. I searched 5d, original 5d, 5d mkI , etc and got next to nothing on the 5D. a byproduct of the amazing naming conventions of Canon. Sorry if you are offended.

by the way, I pulled the trigger, and I love it

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,350
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

Collett wrote:

How much can a used 5dII be had for these days? I have never owned the 5dc, but I would think the additional megapixels, ability to microadjust focus, and sensor cleaning would be well worth the extra $.

-- hide signature --

Jim

As an owner of both a 5D and 5D2, I would say it's surprising how little difference those features make. Maybe I've lucked out and have a "golden sample" of the original 5D, but I've never had dust issues and all my lenses focus spot on, even my Tamron brand. Unless you only print posters, the 12.8mp in this camera is enough for just about any typical shooting. I've made prints 20x30 inches off my 5D, and they hold up surprisingly well if you don't crop them.

To the OP, I would say for a mere $600 that is buying an awful lot of image quality.

Some of my 5D pics, sorry it's not gorgoeous landscapes or chicks in bikinis On FF it's amazing the great bokeh and backrground separation you can get withslow (f4) lenses.


 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +7 more
(unknown member) OP Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

Wow are those first few really F4? The separation is impressive. I do intend on using this a lot with my kids so those shot are very encouraging. The shot with the bath water, did you use a speed light to freeze the drops like that. I can't imagine the shutter speed could be set that fast indoors unless its crazy bright in that bathroom. Looks great though.

the body I have is in EXCELLENT condition in regards to dirt. Sensor is clean as a whistle and everything seems like its barely been used. Seller claimed it was hardly used before going into storage the last few years and I believe him. The only issue. I see are a little bit of corrosion/rust on the hotshoe- but my new 430ex worked fine on it. I imagine te rust and corrosion have something to do with us being in Hawaii lol. Still trying to learn it. The AF is waaaay faster than my xpro lol, particularly in low light. If people say its slow I can't imagine what they'd think of my xpro 1. The mkIII AF must be instantaneous off it is an improvement over this. I guess I'm easy to please

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,350
Re: Should I pull the trigger on a 5DC?

newone757 wrote:

Wow are those first few really F4? The separation is impressive. I do intend on using this a lot with my kids so those shot are very encouraging.

Yes, all at f4 with Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS version), and around 100-135mm. Great lens for portrait work IMO. Focuses very fast and accurate on the 5D, and wicked sharp wide open. Below is a 100% crop of what that lens can do.

The shot with the bath water, did you use a speed light to freeze the drops like that. I can't imagine the shutter speed could be set that fast indoors unless its crazy bright in that bathroom. Looks great though.

Yep, old 550 EX bounced off the ceiling and wall behind me.

the body I have is in EXCELLENT condition in regards to dirt. Sensor is clean as a whistle and everything seems like its barely been used. Seller claimed it was hardly used before going into storage the last few years and I believe him. The only issue. I see are a little bit of corrosion/rust on the hotshoe- but my new 430ex worked fine on it. I imagine te rust and corrosion have something to do with us being in Hawaii lol. Still trying to learn it. The AF is waaaay faster than my xpro lol, particularly in low light. If people say its slow I can't imagine what they'd think of my xpro 1. The mkIII AF must be instantaneous off it is an improvement over this. I guess I'm easy to please

The 5D and most pre-2007 Canons had a black painted hot show and the paint always wears off. Unless you never mount a flash, they get worn. You can buy replacement hot shoe plates on ebay for about $15, very easy to replace but it's nothing to worry about.

That 100% wide crop from image above, plus another (click 'view original'). Yes, this lens is good!



 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads