Auto ISO after firmware on NEX 7

Started Oct 23, 2012 | Discussions
dannylaw
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Auto ISO after firmware on NEX 7
Oct 23, 2012

Does anyone know if the auto ISO in Intelligent, Apeture, Shutter, and Program is still limited to 1600?  Is the Auto ISO on the NEX 6 the same, or is it higher?

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ka-spot
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Re: Auto ISO after firmware on NEX 7
In reply to dannylaw, Oct 23, 2012

on my NEX 7 in A mode is 1600, so I assume that is still 1600 in all modes. just try in your room at f8 and you'll see its 1600

ka-spot's gear list:ka-spot's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?

dannylaw wrote:

Does anyone know if the auto ISO in Intelligent, Apeture, Shutter, and Program is still limited to 1600?  Is the Auto ISO on the NEX 6 the same, or is it higher?

The feature changes of the upgrade are comprehensively listed. Broadening the auto-iso range is not something Sony would do without mentioning it in the release notes.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
dannylaw
Like?

Thanks for the info.  Do we know if the NEX 6 is limited to 1600 auto ISO in the modes mentioned above?

dannylaw
Like?
In reply to dannylaw, Oct 24, 2012

Can anyone that has the NEX 6 check to see wht is the max auto ISO? Thanks

Daniel

DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Oct 24, 2012

tesilab wrote:

dannylaw wrote:

The feature changes of the upgrade are comprehensively listed. Broadening the auto-iso range is not something Sony would do without mentioning it in the release notes.

It is still 1600. If you use AEB with AUTO-ISO, it actually selects different ISOs for the shots. 1600 is the highest it uses to keep exposure of the bright shots acceptable.

-- hide signature --

I'm a peaceful person looking for clarity and harmony and willing to help. If you believe my post had the intention to harm you in some way, you are probably wrong. =;-) Please verify first before assuming something bad happened to you. I can be a bit too brief at times. =;-)

dansenor1
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?

I'm actually reading the user's manual and  nex6's auto iso goes up to 3200

kinglau711
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

It's 3200 ISO on mine.

DuncanDovovan
Like?
In reply to kinglau711, Oct 24, 2012

kinglau711 wrote:

It's 3200 ISO on mine.

"mine" as in "my NEX-6"?

I just tested in A mode on the NEX-7 and it shoots at ISO1600 max in auto.

-- hide signature --

I'm a peaceful person looking for clarity and harmony and willing to help. If you believe my post had the intention to harm you in some way, you are probably wrong. =;-) Please verify first before assuming something bad happened to you. I can be a bit too brief at times. =;-)

kinglau711
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to DuncanDovovan, Oct 24, 2012

DuncanDovovan wrote:

kinglau711 wrote:

It's 3200 ISO on mine.

"mine" as in "my NEX-6"?

Yes, but not better than the ergonomic of the NEX-7 in my opinion.

dannylaw
Like?
In reply to kinglau711, Oct 24, 2012

That seems odd, NEX 7 auto ISO is 1600 and NEX 6 auto ISO is 3200. That's a stop higher, do we know why?  More importantly, what happens if you shot in Apeture priority and the scene (indoor) calls for ISO between 1600-3200? I did test out the NEX 7 about six months ago and could not commit.  However not having it now, I cannot remember what it would do in such situations.  Did it slow the shutter below the built in benchmarks or did it just under expose the frame, please help.  I'm asking because I placed an order on the NEX 6 on release, but the firmware update has me thinking second thoughts.  I'm an original NEX 5 shooter so either is a good upgrade for me, but I'm a family shooter, and indoor-well I just want the best of the two anyway. Thanks

Daniel

tesilab
Like?

dannylaw wrote:

That seems odd, NEX 7 auto ISO is 1600 and NEX 6 auto ISO is 3200. That's a stop higher, do we know why?  More importantly, what happens if you shot in Apeture priority and the scene (indoor) calls for ISO between 1600-3200? I did test out the NEX 7 about six months ago and could not commit.  However not having it now, I cannot remember what it would do in such situations.  Did it slow the shutter below the built in benchmarks or did it just under expose the frame, please help.  I'm asking because I placed an order on the NEX 6 on release, but the firmware update has me thinking second thoughts.  I'm an original NEX 5 shooter so either is a good upgrade for me, but I'm a family shooter, and indoor-well I just want the best of the two anyway. Thanks

Daniel

Sure we know why. The NEX-7 has a higher megapixel count. Pixel peeping at 3200 on the NEX-7 makes people unhappy. Not so with all the other NEXes of the last two generations, whose 100% crops look fantastic.

While the high iso damage is actual minimal *for the same size output*, 100% crop comparisons suffer. That is why Sony limited it 1600. Safer than having customers complaining about the crops.  If they would just trust us to set our on maximum iso (and min shutter speed--please!), they could just default it to 1600.

Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
dannylaw
Like?
In reply to tesilab, Oct 28, 2012

Still trying to figure this out. From the forum input NEX 7 auto ISO maximum is 1600, and NEX 6 auto ISO maximum is 3200.  So my question is what happens when you compose a shot is a PASM mode and the exposure requires something more than ISO 1600. Obviously, things give a little, such as the Apeture opening into its highest setting, or the shutter slowing down to a lowest limit (don't remember, but maybe lens specific) but what does it do after that, if anything?

For example, lets say the lens minimum f stop is 3.5 and the metering requires ISO 3200. Will the camera keep reducing the shutter until you reach 1600? Is there a lower limit setting on shutter speed?  Alternately, in Shutter mode same situation, whaah happens, because the Apeture will not go any wider?

please help if you know the answers.

Daniel

tesilab
Like?
In reply to dannylaw, Oct 29, 2012
Once the minimum shutter speed (lens dependent) is reached, the camerquill simply underexpose.
This isn't very different from, and probably better than increasing the ISO. 
Shoot raw, and you can get another couple of stops that way, if you need too.
DuncanDovovan
Like?
In reply to dannylaw, Oct 29, 2012

dannylaw wrote:

Still trying to figure this out. From the forum input NEX 7 auto ISO maximum is 1600, and NEX 6 auto ISO maximum is 3200. So my question is what happens when you compose a shot is a PASM mode and the exposure requires something more than ISO 1600. Obviously, things give a little, such as the Apeture opening into its highest setting, or the shutter slowing down to a lowest limit (don't remember, but maybe lens specific) but what does it do after that, if anything?

For example, lets say the lens minimum f stop is 3.5 and the metering requires ISO 3200. Will the camera keep reducing the shutter until you reach 1600? Is there a lower limit setting on shutter speed? Alternately, in Shutter mode same situation, whaah happens, because the Apeture will not go any wider?

Daniel

Yes.

In A mode, the strategy with AUTO-ISO is to maintain acceptable shutter speeds by adjusting ISO first up to the point where 1600 has been reached. After that, the camera has to reduce the shutter speed to get a proper exposure.

There is no minimum shutter speed. Would it have one, you would have under exposed pictures at a certain point.

So either you are in A mode and check the shutter it selects with every shot or you go to M mode and select a shutter and minimum aperture and then use ISO to correctly expose.

-- hide signature --

tesilab
Like?
In reply to DuncanDovovan, Oct 29, 2012

Oops, I made an error in my post above. There is an applicable minimum shutter speed based on the lens for some situations, that isn't applicable to this case.

In aperture priority, with insufficient light, the shutter will be set to as low as 5 seconds, but aparently no lower.

k0mit
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to dannylaw, Nov 3, 2012

dannylaw wrote:

Still trying to figure this out. From the forum input NEX 7 auto ISO maximum is 1600, and NEX 6 auto ISO maximum is 3200. So my question is what happens when you compose a shot is a PASM mode and the exposure requires something more than ISO 1600. Obviously, things give a little, such as the Apeture opening into its highest setting, or the shutter slowing down to a lowest limit (don't remember, but maybe lens specific) but what does it do after that, if anything?

For example, lets say the lens minimum f stop is 3.5 and the metering requires ISO 3200. Will the camera keep reducing the shutter until you reach 1600? Is there a lower limit setting on shutter speed? Alternately, in Shutter mode same situation, whaah happens, because the Apeture will not go any wider?

Daniel

Daniel, the camera's first priority is "exposure", so it will continue to lower the shutter speed in an attempt to properly expose the image. Sony has to give us some credit for taking the time to notice when this shutter speed gets low and do something about it. Either, brace the camera or put it on a tripod, or manually increase the ISO to something that will allow a fast enough shutter speed to prevent movement blur in your image. Another option would be to go to Manual, Shutter Priority, Program, or iAuto.

-- hide signature --

Mike

k0mit's gear list:k0mit's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
In reply to dansenor1, Nov 3, 2012

dansenor1 wrote:

I'm actually reading the user's manual and nex6's auto iso goes up to 3200

Just confirming (just tested) that it goes till 3200 on my Nex-6

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads