New Body or new Lens?

Started Oct 22, 2012 | Questions
The Battery
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
New Body or new Lens?
Oct 22, 2012

Ok, hear me out on this one, I've been saving up for a little while now and have enough to either get the D600 or the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.  I was thinking about getting the 70-200 but i know i'd use the 24-70 a lot more.  (whatever i get first, i'll start saving toward the other and then the 70-200).

Normally I'd say get the lens since its almost always better to have better glass then a better body (I currently own the D7k which is still a fantastic camera).  But i could really use a second body for shooting weddings (i'm currently borrowing a D50 which just isnt out working anymore).

I currently own 2 FX lenses, the 50mm and 85mm 1.8 primes, and 3 DX lenses, the 18-200, 35mm, and a 10-20mm.  So having the 24-70 2.8 would be extremely useful and would tip the scales towards FX lenses (i'll probably get rid of the 35mm).

If i get the 24-70 i'll probably have to rent a D7k.  So that's about $70-$100 every time I rent it.  That's not too bad, but eats into profits and I really dont like the idea of renting when i could own...

I know if i get the 24-70 i'd use it all the time.  The only time i'd use the 50 or 85 would be if i really need the extra ambient or seperation.

So, i guess what this boils down to is which will yield me better images?  In which case, going with the 24-70 seems to be the clear choice and i'll just have to loose $100 (rounding up) per event to rent a second D7k untill i can afford the D600.

Every time i delve into this i reach a different conclusion and could use some outside input
Thanks in advance.

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon D50 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: New Body or new Lens?
In reply to The Battery, Oct 22, 2012

I don't understand how you can shift to an FX format when, presumably, your existing lenses are for use on your DX system.  You'd need different focal lengths to get the same fields of view on FX.

Likewise if you get a 24-70 f2.8 instead of a D600 then presumably you like 24-70 on DX, which is quite different to 24-70 on FX.

So I have no idea why you're considering an FX body at all.  Your lenses seem to clearly indicate you're better off on DX unless you plan to replace all your existing lenses.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,438Gear list
Like?

Buy the 24-70...save some money, get the D600 down the line when prices drop or sales start to appear, or used. I think you're going to find many who find the step up to FX isn't what they thought it was going to be. I'd also look into what the tamron 70-200 offers when it appears. Just seems counter-productive to have to rent a body each time you'll be doing some work.

-- hide signature --

Herby

Wojciech Sawicki
Contributing MemberPosts: 622
Like?

Lenses are nearly always a far better investment than bodies - especially when you're considering pretty much the exact same camera (except with an FX sensor in it), for 2x the price.

Bodywise, you're already set for a good couple of years. you're going to love the 24-70. It works great on a DX body, being the equivalent of a 35-105 f2.8... Not particularily wide but not so long ago nearly all zooms started at 35

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,021Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Battery, Oct 23, 2012

I'd sell the D7000 and all your lenses if you're serious about shooting weddings and making it as easy as possible on yourself.   The D600 and the Tamron 24-70VC or the Nikon 24-120VR if you can't go the freight on the Nikon 24-70.  Any lens is going to give you better background separation and low light performance on the D600, to say nothing of better color and focusing, especially in low light. Pretty critical stuff there. Don't forget an SB-700 while you're at it.

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Oct 23, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I'd sell the D7000 and all your lenses if you're serious about shooting weddings and making it as easy as possible on yourself.   The D600 and the Tamron 24-70VC or the Nikon 24-120VR if you can't go the freight on the Nikon 24-70.  Any lens is going to give you better background separation and low light performance on the D600, to say nothing of better color and focusing, especially in low light. Pretty critical stuff there. Don't forget an SB-700 while you're at it.

Why would anyone even consider the SB-700 when looking at professional wedding photography? The SB-910 is more powerful and not THAT much more considering the gear you guys are talking about. Gives you the option to bouce effectively where the 700 just won't cut it.

Personally I'd go the 70-200VR if you're going to do wedding work. I haven't used it but I have used a 70-300VR (and 18-70dx) on a couple of occasions shooting weddings for friends. Depends on the wedding but you can't always get close enough for a wide lens, and while I couldn't care less about subject isolation with DoF (a personal quirk but I think it's the most overused photographic technique in history! Might be okay for studio portraits, but for events and weddings, I want to see the background!). Even with flash you're limited by the light if you can't get within a few meters. Not every couple cares or understands enough about the photos to want you to get in close on every shot.

FX may be fasionable at the moment, DX image quality is fine and the extra reach with the crop factor can be an advantage.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

echris
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Oct 23, 2012

I think you should rent the 70-200 because its so amazing you won't be able live without it. The bokeh is wonderful for subject isolation. It'll make an immediate difference in your photos, where I bet the fx body will only lighten your wallet.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,021Gear list
Like?

The voice of inexperience :^)

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,438Gear list
Like?

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Why would anyone even consider the SB-700 when looking at professional wedding photography? The SB-910 is more powerful and not THAT much more considering the gear you guys are talking about. Gives you the option to bouce effectively where the 700 just won't cut it.

Personally I'd go the 70-200VR if you're going to do wedding work. I haven't used it but I have used a 70-300VR (and 18-70dx) on a couple of occasions shooting weddings for friends. Depends on the wedding but you can't always get close enough for a wide lens, and while I couldn't care less about subject isolation with DoF (a personal quirk but I think it's the most overused photographic technique in history! Might be okay for studio portraits, but for events and weddings, I want to see the background!). Even with flash you're limited by the light if you can't get within a few meters. Not every couple cares or understands enough about the photos to want you to get in close on every shot.

FX may be fasionable at the moment, DX image quality is fine and the extra reach with the crop factor can be an advantage.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Even the photographer interviewed in the thread you started on use of flash only recommended the 70-200 for weddings for a second photographer, not for the main one, and that was for a person using a full frame camera. If he's going to be using the D7000 I think the 24-70 would be covering most of the range he'd be needing. The SB700 is also going to be a strong enough flash for the type of lighting he'd be using it for, it's certainly no lightweight, and many who have the 910 aren't using it at full power for much of their shooting as it is. I wouldn't want one on my camera just for the size considerations. Possibly used as a off camera light source, but for what he's doing right now the SB700 would work just fine.

-- hide signature --

Herby

knightmelodic
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
In reply to herbymel, Oct 23, 2012

What do you want to do? Why FX? I know lots of pros who shoot with DX. And that 24-70 is a beast. If you have to rent a body why not the D300s?

-- hide signature --

Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.
Nikon D7000 w/grip, SB-600, Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, Nikor 24-70 f/2.8, Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR II , Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Nikon TC-20E III 2x

knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
Sammy Yousef
Like?
In reply to herbymel, Oct 23, 2012

herbymel wrote:

Even the photographer interviewed in the thread you started on use of flash only recommended the 70-200 for weddings for a second photographer, not for the main one, and that was for a person using a full frame camera. If he's going to be using the D7000 I think the 24-70 would be covering most of the range he'd be needing. The SB700 is also going to be a strong enough flash for the type of lighting he'd be using it for, it's certainly no lightweight, and many who have the 910 aren't using it at full power for much of their shooting as it is. I wouldn't want one on my camera just for the size considerations. Possibly used as a off camera light source, but for what he's doing right now the SB700 would work just fine.

He didn't recommend it only for the second shooter. He recommended it for the second shooter because he has the luxury of working with a second shooter.

And if you're going to take him as an authority he says you should definitely go for the most powerful flash you can get hold of for exactly the reasons I stated - you can bounce it:
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/which-flashgun/

"So I would recommend to anyone, even if this is your first foray into buying a speedlight, to get the top-of-the-range that the specific manufacturer offers"

The difference in price - between $100-$200 makes it a very easy choice.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

Sammy Yousef
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Oct 23, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

The voice of inexperience :^)

Why? Because you don't agree with me?

My experience with top end gear is limited. My experience with weddijng photography is a handful of weddings. But my experience in pushing the gear i have and realising it's limits is quite comprehensive.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

The Battery
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

First, thanks to all for the input!  But, we're getting a little off topic.  I'll try to address as much as i can...
Reasons to shift towards FX:
-I love my 85mm, but 127 (DX) is a little tight.  I find that I am just slightly out of comfortable talking distance to fit more then one person in the frame.  It works fine, but i think a true 85 would be better.
-I currently have the 35mm to approximate the 50mm, so i could get rid of the 35...
-I've used the 24-70 alot and i love it on my camera but i think an actual 24-70 (not 36-105) would be extremely useful for protaits and group shots, especially in small churches.
-If i get the 24-70 (and get rid of the 35mm) i'd have just as many DX lenses as i do FX.  I plan on getting the 70-200 as well (i've also used that extensively and love it for ceremony shots while they're at the alter).
-I was under the impression that the D600 was a much better camera then the D7000, not just an FX version.
Either way i'm keeping my D7000.  I need a second body.  So, i think getting a full frame as my primary would make sense and give me more options.  I suppose i could save a little longer and go for somthing like the D800, but i think that might be a little exessive...
As for flash (we're really getting off topic here) i have the SB700 and i think its fine.  I only use it for fill and i've got other flashes off camera (bouncing, kicking, screaming, etc...) so i'm fine with its power.  I use cheap manual flashes off camera.
As for 3rd party lenses, i've decided that i'm going Nikon or nothing.  I've used the sigma 70-200 and dont think its nearly as good as Nikon's...  I know others feel different.
I'm still leaning toward the 24-70 over the body.  I'd rent another D7k since i already own one an know it.  I would rent the D600 before i rented the D300s...
Thanks again for the input!

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads