Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Two new apps arrived for NEX-5R/6: Bracket Pro and Photo Retouch mini-review
Oct 22, 2012

Hi, hope you enjoyed my previous thread of MFNR walkthrough:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3282943

I just check the homepage of 5R camera app and here are two new apps:

Bracket Pro and Photo Retouch

Plus, the remote app and Direct uploads app have a new version to install.

So at present we have 6 apps, 4 free and 2 sells for $4.99

Here is the Photo Retouch function, NEX really need this in-camera Retouch functions. especially for those want to add soft-skin effect or adjust the level of photos.

So for all the functions it has Framing, Brightness Control, Saturation Control, Contrast Control, Horizontal Adjustment, Resize and Soft Skin Effect.

The Framing tool includes Auto Portrait Framing, which automatically detects a face and adjusts framing for the most pleasing composition.

Soft Skin Effect allows you to choose exactly which faces in the image to soften.

Also you can adjust brightness , contrast and saturation

So when you finish editing, you can save to another file without damage the original photo.

It's a really nice Retouch tool, have basic functions, runs smooth, quick and Sony can update this app in future to provide more adjustments.

The Photo Retouch is free and Bracket Pro will cost $4.99 and gives you more freedom to create bracket exposures

Av Bracket

I'm still learning the functions, but the illustration is well presented.

Tv Bracket

Focus Brackting:

And finally Flash bracketing

Previously, I do think Sony have a lousy software team, they made lots of low level bugs and ignore user request for bug fix. But those 6 apps really change my mind. at least 4 out of 6(except direct upload and filter+) is well developed and put the NEX 5R to a whole new level.   So I want to say: Bravo to Sony App develop team and really expect the Time-lapse and Motion-Picture apps.

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +17 more
NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dquangt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042
Like?
hold up, in camera focus stacking?
In reply to privater, Oct 22, 2012

that's pretty new for a camera, isn't it? is anyone else doing this?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
privater
Like?
Re: hold up, in camera focus stacking?
In reply to dquangt, Oct 22, 2012

dquangt wrote:

I think Nikon Samsung made Android P&S, and Nokia made a phone with decent relatively large sensor. But Sony's approach is more like build a new platform with app store all by himself.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?

dquangt wrote:

I don't see where it is stacking - it's just bracketing. It would be awesome if it could stack, but that's specialized processing, so I'd be surprised to see it. I'd kind of like stacking in other modes as well, but each type of stack might need different elements selected. Exposure bracketing implies HDR, which is different...

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?

dquangt wrote:

I'd love to have this.

It's a shame it's so basic though, why not allow the user to choose how many images are taken (I am assuming the purpose of this is for focus stacking rather than just to overcome focusing errors)? Hopefully this is just a starting point and more features will be added in time, possibility in response to users' requests.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
CARREGAL70
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Oct 22, 2012

Do any of these apps work with 5N?

CARREGAL70's gear list:CARREGAL70's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
privater
Like?

GaryW wrote:

dquangt wrote:

I don't see where it is stacking - it's just bracketing. It would be awesome if it could stack, but that's specialized processing, so I'd be surprised to see it. I'd kind of like stacking in other modes as well, but each type of stack might need different elements selected. Exposure bracketing implies HDR, which is different...

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

I'm afraid it's not stacking, but I believe such function can be added in future.

DuncanDovovan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
Re: Two new apps arrived for NEX-5R/6: Bracket Pro and Photo Retouch mini-review

Now we know what the future is.

I do not think they will work on the older FWs any longer. This is the way to go for Sony.

Guess we will have to wait for a NEX-7w for wireless...

-- hide signature --

I'm a peaceful person looking for clarity and harmony and willing to help. If you believe my post had the intention to harm you in some way, you are probably wrong. =;-) Please verify first before assuming something bad happened to you. I can be a bit too brief at times. =;-)

alisaad619
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?
In reply to CARREGAL70, Oct 22, 2012

No

only on 5R and 6 ,and the future Nex models

dquangt
Like?

Why would you bracket with three focus points then? I don't get the purpose of this particular function.

u we
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

dquangt wrote:

Why would you bracket with three focus points then? I don't get the purpose of this particular function.

see title and read on here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

HTH, Uwe

u we's gear list:u we's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,117
Like?

dquangt wrote:

It is done, so you can use the bracketed pictures to stack in PP.

It is like the exposure bracketing for HDR, you can do stacking in camera but hten  you can do it in camera, but you can only do it with JPG pictures, now you can bracket with RAW pictures and stack in PP for even beter quality pictures.

In camera focus stacking would be a great feature...

Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
In reply to nevercat, Oct 22, 2012

I think the multi frame NR is stacking effectively, so perhaps they will not shy away from that.  stacking of focus bracketed shots would be awesome.

I have a new unopened 5N box sitting next to me that i'm going to return for a 5r or 6, just because i suspected that the aps are going to bring in a new generation of customizaation that is going to be downright nice.  Kudos to Sony in leading the way.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Pentax K5D

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
dquangt
Like?
In reply to u we, Oct 22, 2012

u we wrote:

dquangt wrote:

see title and read on here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

HTH, Uwe

yes, that's what i originally thought and stated in my post and the reply was that it was not for focus stacking. however, i misunderstood and its not for "in camera" focus stacking, but for focus stacking in post.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,671
Like?

These seem kind of gimmicky and pointless. The one is pp for your camera, which is for the amateur, and the second still only gives you three shots. You can see how these differ from firmware updates. They aren't increasing any specs, like going from 3 shot bracketing to 5. It's more like letting you play angry birds with a new holiday level added.

Schwaeble
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
Re: Two new apps arrived for NEX-5R/6: Bracket Pro and Photo Retouch mini-review

Focus bracket is quite tempting.

odobo
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?

are the bracketing files save in raw or jpeg?

I would assume sony's software team will release the next app for ios or android, so the stacking could be done on the tablet or the phone instead of on the camera. If they allow all these extra touch up functions on the camera they might get complain about battery life very soon

losangeles
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
In reply to odobo, Oct 22, 2012

I wish there was an app that makes the WiFi actually work. The app to transfer images to Android and iPhones is pretty much the worst functioning app I have ever used.

privater
Like?
In reply to losangeles, Oct 22, 2012

losangeles wrote:

I wish there was an app that makes the WiFi actually work. The app to transfer images to Android and iPhones is pretty much the worst functioning app I have ever used.

How is that? I used transfer pic to cellphone dozens of times with Nexus Galaxy and iPhone 5 they both work w/o any problem. The only problem I see is Live view w/ camera is about 80% success rate. When it's not functioning, I have to kill the app on phone and restart the app again.

The remote app just got update yesterday, I haven't test the new version yet.

losangeles
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?

privater wrote:

losangeles wrote:

How is that? I used transfer pic to cellphone dozens of times with Nexus Galaxy and iPhone 5 they both work w/o any problem. The only problem I see is Live view w/ camera is about 80% success rate. When it's not functioning, I have to kill the app on phone and restart the app again.

The remote app just got update yesterday, I haven't test the new version yet.

Thanks for that information! The most likely explanation is that I was just unlucky. Will try again later today!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads