SX50 w/ Canon 500D attached...

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions
LORFORBES
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 w/ Canon 500D attached...
In reply to LTZ470, Oct 23, 2012

Great shots LTZ.  I see you still prefer the Pana FZ200. Have you ever looked at the latest version of the  Finepix SX1?  And your opinion if you have?  Thanks in advance.

LORFORBES's gear list:LORFORBES's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,366
Like?
In reply to LORFORBES, Oct 23, 2012

If you are referring to the Fuji X-S1 then yes I have actually taken some photos with one in London...great feeling camera with good UI...lens is smooth as silk but it suffers from lens droop...also the sensor is faulty and requires replacing by Fuji...so I opted to stay away from it...very nice cam though...albeit large in size compared to FZ200...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
In reply to Condor, Oct 23, 2012

Condor wrote:

Sorry, I thought your SX50 vs FZ200 + TC were handheld shots.  My mistake, I still have to learn a lot of English. I believed that off tripod was the contrary as on tripod.

In my case, I just shot handheld, specially with my superzoom.  I had shot very few tripod real life images in my life, but with my LX3 for group shots cases.

Now somebody is saying that this Lock feature only works on the EVF and not for the final image the sensor gets.  Could somebody clarify it? Thanks in advance.

Ed

We received very good material about how this Lock feature works and its undeniable benefit when taking full zoom shots (especially 2400mm 2x digital TC).

Like this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zEOAN_MKmHY

Where the Lock demo starts at 0:59 and it is activated at 1:10.

And Rich new samples and comments...

Rich Calsada wrote:

There is no doubt in my experience and I'm sure yours at such an extreme telephoto range 1200 to 2400mm handheld its a struggle keeping the subject still in the viewfinder.

So lets see if running through the sequence of taking a shot helps.

OK, I get the subject framed, now trying to get a focus lock by depressing the shutter halfway is not working to well. Maybe 4 or 5 tries of deep breathing or repositioning the feet gets me steady enough and  the image steady enough to get a lock.

Invoking the focus lock before the half shutter press  has the same steadying effect. Now is this an additional IS that works in conjunction with the regular IS, I can't answer but it definitely works.

Here's some more images at extreme zoom ranges handheld with focus lock used.

Full zoom with 1.5 TC  1928mm

1200mm full zoom

65mm  see the fishermen at end of pier?

here they are! full zoom with 2x tc   2440mm

the fishermen were really jumping around before focus lock.

See rest of set here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52977519@N00/sets/72157631833077728/

From the Brooklyn Promenade

another full zoom with 2x tc. I swear you can almost make out people on observation deck.

Observation deck is just above brown and below gray on Empire State building.

Here's wide angle view taken from Brooklyn promenade.

So, ...   Conclusion...

Any real independent and objective comparative hanheld full zoom sample of SX50 (1200mm or 2400 with inner TC) ... Must be done with Lock activated.

Ed

LTZ470
Like?

1020mm EFL ...Fluid Ball Tripod...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Condor
Like?

Beautiful images with the FZ200, the best P&S superzoom all around camera.

A friend of mine, who owns a FZ150 asks if it exists some wide converter for it. He is the kind of person that uses its superzoom as an all around camera. What about FZ200's case?

And jumping to non superzoom cameras, I was evaluating updating my present LX3 to LX7. But checking official Pana site, it seems that it does not exist a native wide converter for it, as the amazing DMW-LW46 that I use 95% of the time with my LX3? Is it true?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

The FZ200 takes really nice photos.  The big problem I have with the above TC lens setup and tripod is, what if you decide to take a wide angle shot of the lake or whatever..then another bird lands and you want to take a long zoom shot.. oh and then some insect lands nearby and you want to take a macro..

Photography should be fun.  Fiddling with TC lens and tripod limits this freedom too much.  If you have a set agenda as to what you are going to photograph with no ad hoc shooting, then fine.  I dont operate like that.

Even with its slower lens, I'd rather have the SX50 than the FZ200.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Condor
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Oct 23, 2012

MarioV wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

The FZ200 takes really nice photos.  The big problem I have with the above TC lens setup and tripod is, what if you decide to take a wide angle shot of the lake or whatever..then another bird lands and you want to take a long zoom shot.. oh and then some insect lands nearby and you want to take a macro..

Photography should be fun.  Fiddling with TC lens and tripod limits this freedom too much.  If you have a set agenda as to what you are going to photograph with no ad hoc shooting, then fine.  I dont operate like that.

Even with its slower lens, I'd rather have the SX50 than the FZ200.

That's my case too. I just take handheld shots in the present, and I just had enough with TCs, they just don't work on normal people’s real life situations (local travels, weekends, abroad, hiking, opportunity shots, etc.).

So, it seems that for my real superzoom needs (5% of my real life shots), SX50 is the best option, especially with the Lock feature activated (which is a different camera than when it is not).

For the other 95% of my real life shots (family, landscapes, tourism, etc.) I was thinking in LX7, but unfortunately it seems that it does not have a native wide converter lens...as my wonderful LX3 had.

So, probably it’s time to go for the GH3 + Panny 7-14mm for those 95% and use the SX50 for the 5% of my real superzoom needs (until some real long prime m43 lens appears; 400mm, 500mm ..., which seems very improbably).

Ed

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Oct 23, 2012

Yes, I agree to a certain extent Mario, but I use two FZ200's one with a Canon 500D attached and then another with the TC-E17ED attached...

The FZ200 with the Canon 500D has produced some excellent results...

http://acwilli.smugmug.com/Nature/Close-Ups/FZ200-Close-Ups/25197797_SV4gvV#!i=2067503941&k=8Pq3gpN

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?

Condor wrote:

A friend of mine, who owns a FZ150 asks if it exists some wide converter for it. He is the kind of person that uses its superzoom as an all around camera. What about FZ200's case?

And jumping to non superzoom cameras, I was evaluating updating my present LX3 to LX7. But checking official Pana site, it seems that it does not exist a native wide converter for it, as the amazing DMW-LW46 that I use 95% of the time with my LX3? Is it true?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

No Ed nothing available...it would have to be attached directly to the lens itself on the FZ150...I do have the DMW-LW55 for my FZ50's so I might try it but the distortion is probably severe...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Condor wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Ed

No Ed nothing available...it would have to be attached directly to the lens itself on the FZ150...I do have the DMW-LW55 for my FZ50's so I might try it but the distortion is probably severe...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Doesn't distort but no gain is achieved by using it as vignettes and you must zoom out to avoid vignetting then the gain is lost...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Condor
Like?

Thanks,

Wide shots (wider than 24mm) are so beautiful and elegant, especially in wide (19:6) mode, which is almost the only one I use in my non-superzoom photos , since I just have flat TV sets now.

And what a petty that new LX7 does not have a native wide lens converter. My LX3 is just another better camera with its DMW-LW46 attached.

Ed

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Condor wrote:

Do you think that coming GH3 + 100-300mm (600mm equiv) could register more and/or better details of distant subjects than SX50 SuperFine and Locked...? Since it is obvious that FZ200, even with the Nikon TC, can't, of let's say a wildlife subject 100 mt. away.

And I'll show you why I really need the best P&S or m43 superzoom... These are the kind of shots that I presently obtain with my SX30 in my real life superzoom user situations. And as you can see, I need to get more and better details somehow... but not using TC.

By the way, I would never use a P&S superzoom for 24mm shots, not even 100mm shots... It sounds ridiculous to me. I just use those focal lengths to initially aim a subject... but I almost always end up using the maximum zoom available for the final shot (Extra Zoom included)... except when the camera just can't follow a subject, keep it in frame, (as the above BIF) oblying me to zoom back to where at least get the subject inside the frame.

Ed

Ed those are not even good for IDing bird. I would suggest to get a telescope or move closer or fly with the bird.

This 100% crop came from SX40. You can imagine how high is this Red-tailed Hawk flying...

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
LTZ470
Like?
Re: SX50 Question?
In reply to CSPoole, Oct 23, 2012

CSPoole wrote:

Hi LTR420

In your Smugmug photos, the Panny is set to Fine. While the SX50  is set to 3-13 quality.

Just wondering?

Your Link:

http://acwilli.smugmug.com/Other/SX50-vs-FZ200-w-TC-E17ED/25917119_HfWWxB#!i=2148447232&k=Jt8kZGK

Thanks

CSPoole

I took some with SX50 set at Fine L...and they weren't any larger in file size and any better detailed from the shots I got...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,777Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Yes, I agree to a certain extent Mario, but I use two FZ200's one with a Canon 500D attached and then another with the TC-E17ED attached...

Oh, well thats not inconvenient at all is it.  Not as inconvenient as THREE FZ200's.. 1 for Wide, 1 for Tele and 1 for Macro.  

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Condor
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Oct 24, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

Ed those are not even good for IDing bird. I would suggest to get a telescope or move closer or fly with the bird.

Hi,

That's why I need a camera that provides more and better details of distant wildlife subjcects than my present SX30, and so far in the P&S superzoom cameras world, SX50 is the one that does it At least based on LTZ470 comparative samples it provides more and better details than FZ200 even if you take the money, time and patient to add a prime TC to it and even the fact that SX50 samples were not taken in SuperFine mode.  Not mentioning that I just take photos handheld... So, I would like to see hanheld full zoom comparative samples of SX50 using the Lock feature vs FZ200 + Nikon TC ... that would be something.

When I get it, I would be able to compare there outputs side-by-side.

Unfortunatelly, when I was going to order my new SX50... the mini iPad was announced at $ 329 (16GB Wi-Fi), and since I use my iPad hundreds times more than my superzoom camera.... well...

Regards,

Ed

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Oct 24, 2012

MarioV wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Oh, well thats not inconvenient at all is it.  Not as inconvenient as THREE FZ200's.. 1 for Wide, 1 for Tele and 1 for Macro.  

Lol...maybe for you but I shoot off tripod 99% of the time, so I have that as well...I like to hike and bike with two cameras and tripod...but for landscapes I carry a third camera the Nex-7 and 16mm f/2.8...best landscape camera for it's size...just fantastic...carried the Canon SX50 and the FZ200 around together with a tripod and no problems at all...great hike...I used to carry a Canon 7D and 100-400 so two FZ200's are no problem...

24.57 MB of detail...it's unbelievable what the 24MP sensor can gather...

http://acwilli.smugmug.com/Other/acwilli/21380898_BjFmfg#!i=2160098370&k=ZSGj6Bb&lb=1&s=O

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to Condor, Oct 24, 2012

Condor wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Hi,

That's why I need a camera that provides more and better details of distant wildlife subjcects than my present SX30, and so far in the P&S superzoom cameras world, SX50 is the one that does it At least based on LTZ470 comparative samples it provides more and better details than FZ200 even if you take the money, time and patient to add a prime TC to it and even the fact that SX50 samples were not taken in SuperFine mode.  Not mentioning that I just take photos handheld... So, I would like to see hanheld full zoom comparative samples of SX50 using the Lock feature vs FZ200 + Nikon TC ... that would be something.

When I get it, I would be able to compare there outputs side-by-side.

Unfortunatelly, when I was going to order my new SX50... the mini iPad was announced at $ 329 (16GB Wi-Fi), and since I use my iPad hundreds times more than my superzoom camera.... well...

Regards,

Ed

Talking about birds and stabilization..

http://gizmodo.com/5098255/hackmodo-use-a-chickens-head-as-a-camera-stabilizer

Condor
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Oct 24, 2012

Steen Bay wrote:

Talking about birds and stabilization..

http://gizmodo.com/5098255/hackmodo-use-a-chickens-head-as-a-camera-stabilizer

Interesting indeed, I didn’t know it.

I suppose that new SX50's Lock feature (Ultra IS), does something similar.

Ed

Rich Calsada
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Oct 24, 2012

Steen Bay wrote:

Condor wrote:

About the Lock feature, maybe it is so new (well, in fact it is) that people do not really know or understand that at 1200mm they are almost obliged to use it... as they were obliged to acitivate IS with the previous superzoom units.  And it is as simple to use as IS, or maybe simpler, since it has a specific button for it. Another forum member (Rich) already showed the difference between no-Locked and Locked distant shots and his result is below... that's why I considered important to alert you to use it in your independent and objective comparative shots against FZ200 + Nikon TC ... as I said, that was all...

no-Locked to the left, Locked to the right

Would be nice if it did, but I don't find it likely that pressing the 'lock' button should improve the already excellent IS. The feature is called 'Framing assist - lock', and think that's all it does, gives a more steady EVF/LCD image when framing.

I'll have to disagree, in the above images the lettering is framed (centered) pretty much the same, but the locked image is much clearer. My main disagreement however is if it was just framing in EVF/LCD and the above is what I was seeing in lcd/evf the resulting image should be the same.

Back when I joined DPreview in 2007. The liveview feature on  DSLR's were just coming out, while those with point and shoot cams already had the wysiwyg feature. That is exactly what the resulting image is here not just and aid for viewing before the actual shot.

Here's two more images first without lock and Virgil is pretty much where I wanted him framed, but a blur, and second is with lock, although I had lock on Virgil he drifted slowly to left but image focus remained sharp. Kind of what I would expect from a more robust IS in affect.

not locked

To try and simulate what your looking at without lock vs with lock I uploaded a video and included helicopter and Virgil images in addition to video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52977519@N00/sets/72157631845654889/

Also I would think that with the use of an add on optical TC like the Nikon, all bets are off, for any effective IS if you were trying to handhold. My experience with Japanese build tolerances for electronics was that they were really tightly matched to task at hand and any additional "stress" would cause a not very good outcome.

Rich Calsada's gear list:Rich Calsada's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Kodak EasyShare Z990 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +2 more
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to Rich Calsada, Oct 24, 2012

Rich Calsada wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Condor wrote:

About the Lock feature, maybe it is so new (well, in fact it is) that people do not really know or understand that at 1200mm they are almost obliged to use it... as they were obliged to acitivate IS with the previous superzoom units.  And it is as simple to use as IS, or maybe simpler, since it has a specific button for it. Another forum member (Rich) already showed the difference between no-Locked and Locked distant shots and his result is below... that's why I considered important to alert you to use it in your independent and objective comparative shots against FZ200 + Nikon TC ... as I said, that was all...

no-Locked to the left, Locked to the right

Would be nice if it did, but I don't find it likely that pressing the 'lock' button should improve the already excellent IS. The feature is called 'Framing assist - lock', and think that's all it does, gives a more steady EVF/LCD image when framing.

I'll have to disagree, in the above images the lettering is framed (centered) pretty much the same, but the locked image is much clearer. My main disagreement however is if it was just framing in EVF/LCD and the above is what I was seeing in lcd/evf the resulting image should be the same.

Back when I joined DPreview in 2007. The liveview feature on  DSLR's were just coming out, while those with point and shoot cams already had the wysiwyg feature. That is exactly what the resulting image is here not just and aid for viewing before the actual shot.

Here's two more images first without lock and Virgil is pretty much where I wanted him framed, but a blur, and second is with lock, although I had lock on Virgil he drifted slowly to left but image focus remained sharp. Kind of what I would expect from a more robust IS in affect.

not locked

To try and simulate what your looking at without lock vs with lock I uploaded a video and included helicopter and Virgil images in addition to video.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52977519@N00/sets/72157631845654889/

Also I would think that with the use of an add on optical TC like the Nikon, all bets are off, for any effective IS if you were trying to handhold. My experience with Japanese build tolerances for electronics was that they were really tightly matched to task at hand and any additional "stress" would cause a not very good outcome.

Hope that you're right, that the SX50 really has an improved IS, but I find it kind of hard to believe that it's possible to achieve much better stabilization than the 4+ stops the SX40 already has, and if it was, why should it then be necessary to press the 'lock' button to get the improved stabilization? Why doesn't it work automatically when IS is enabled in the menu?

Your 'lock' vs. 'no-lock' images look convincing, but the sharpness can vary wildly from shot to shot when using long FLs and slow shutter speeds, and I still find it most likely that it's a coincidence that the 'lock' images are sharpest.

How does the 'lock' function work then? Don't know, but a guess could be that it's a software thing that works by cropping the LCD/EVF image a bit (compared to the image on the sensor), in order to make more 'room' for correction. Maybe something similar to how 'Powered IS' works when shooting video with the SX40?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads