File Size: Conversion of RAW to TIFF (D90 to D600)

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions
Dangardner2
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
File Size: Conversion of RAW to TIFF (D90 to D600)
Oct 21, 2012

Hi All,

I recently updated my camera from D90 to D600.  I shoot in RAW make some changes in NX2 and convert to TIFF for some final editing in Photoshop. I didn't change this process during the camera upgrade but I noticed the file sizes of the D600 and D90 in RAW were 20mb for D600 to 10mb for D90 which makes sense.  Now when I convert it to 16 bit TIFF in NX2 the file size is 5mb for the D600 and 70mb for D90.  Am I missing something or should the D600 converted TIFF files be larger than the DX format.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Crossan
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
Re: File Size: Conversion of RAW to TIFF (D90 to D600)
In reply to Dangardner2, Oct 21, 2012

Dangardner2 wrote:

Hi All,

I recently updated my camera from D90 to D600.  I shoot in RAW make some changes in NX2 and convert to TIFF for some final editing in Photoshop. I didn't change this process during the camera upgrade but I noticed the file sizes of the D600 and D90 in RAW were 20mb for D600 to 10mb for D90 which makes sense.  Now when I convert it to 16 bit TIFF in NX2 the file size is 5mb for the D600 and 70mb for D90.  Am I missing something or should the D600 converted TIFF files be larger than the DX format.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan - I am following the same process and my 16 bit TIFFs come out at around 140MB.  Check all your settings in the conversion pop up box!

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Crossan's gear list:Bruce Crossan's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dangardner2
Like?
In reply to Bruce Crossan, Oct 23, 2012

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.  I checked my settings within NX2 and tried an older D90 file again with the same result (5mb D600 file and 70mb D90 File).  Camera setting?  Just not sure why the NEF files appear to be the correct mb's that you would expect.

Dan

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dangardner2, Oct 23, 2012

There's maybe only 3 reasons for such a small file:

1. The file is actually JPEG (most probable) due to error in settings or in software. Also TIFF file may have JPEG compression inside. But this inconsistent with 16 bit/channel because no JPEG 16-bit.

2. The file is actually not 16-bit/channel but 4...16 bit total. It is very old and odd format but maybe so.

3. Error in writing file so only JPEG-compressed header preview is actually written. Due to new D600 NEF file format do not supported.

Anyway check settings again.

Dangardner2
Like?
In reply to Dangardner2, Oct 24, 2012

So, I think the culprit is Nikon Transfer; there are several articles indicating it doesn't support D600 Raw files yet.  There are work arounds like changing exif data, but I will probably manually transfer until it's resolved.  If interested I will re-post if this fixes the issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads