New DSLR with one demand and wishes...

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions
bimbobo
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
New DSLR with one demand and wishes...
Oct 21, 2012

I would like in the near future to move from my lovely Pana FZ150 to a DSLR camera.

The cam I look for should be either Canon or Nikon, no Sony, Samsung or others.

I have seen Canons and Nikons and like them most.

The demand I have is that I would avoid Chromatic Aberration and purple fringes as much as possible. I would say that I do not expect to shoot at more than 3200 ISO.

Nature, indoors/family pics and my son playing football.

I expect to use a lens 18-200 as replace for the normal 18-55 or something like that.

Any recommendation?

-- hide signature --

Ignorant photograph beginner

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photosen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,160Gear list
Like?
Re: New DSLR with one demand and wishes...
In reply to bimbobo, Oct 21, 2012

The demand I have is that I would avoid Chromatic Aberration and purple fringes as much as possible. I would say that I do not expect to shoot at more than 3200 ISO.

This is a function of the lens, not the camera; the good news is that with a DSLR you can choose the lens you like most. Some lenses control chromatic aberrations better than others. Reviews on photozone.de and other such sites will tell you how each lens fares on each technical parameter, including that one.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to photosen, Oct 21, 2012

photosen wrote:

This is a function of the lens, not the camera; the good news is that with a DSLR you can choose the lens you like most. Some lenses control chromatic aberrations better than others. Reviews on photozone.de and other such sites will tell you how each lens fares on each technical parameter, including that one.

Photosen is correct. C/A & purple fringeing is controled by the lens.the ability to conrol ISO "noise" is a function of the cameras sensor, & some do it better than others. If you are determined to stick with Canon Or Nikon, you need to go to some camera test sites. Again as Photosen suggested "Photozone" is a good place to start. The good news is that there are no bad cameras out there now, certainly not in the popular makes like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax Panasonic, Olympus etc, some do some things better like video, whereas others may excell with better focus systems, ISO control, or have a better burst rate [frames per second] Canon & Nikon have probably got a superior range of lenses to choose from, although 3rd party manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron & Tokina make lenses to fit most makes bodies. Buy or borrow a couple of books on digital photography before you commit yourself to an expensive purchase, then go out & try different ones, & try the menu system & controls to see if they suit your eye. Some can be more difficult to navigate than others. Ask for help if you need it & have fun choosing. You really shouldn't have a problem getting what you want, even if you buy used. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?

bimbobo wrote:

I would like in the near future to move from my lovely Pana FZ150 to a DSLR camera.

The cam I look for should be either Canon or Nikon, no Sony, Samsung or others.

I have seen Canons and Nikons and like them most.

Nature, indoors/family pics and my son playing football.

I expect to use a lens 18-200 as replace for the normal 18-55 or something like that.

Any recommendation?

-- hide signature --

Canon and Nikon both make good camera's but I'd take the lens(es) as a starting point. Once you figured what to buy then choose a body and make. Personally I'd chop the 18-200 range in two making it two lenses. For indoor use with a "slow" lens mind getting a flash too since the popup is only good for filling imo.

Since I don't know the budget it's hard to give propper advice.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
ErikkaSmith
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?

Yeah, I'll also "chop" (lol its so funny, the word suggest to chop the lens and you can use one end or the other for different focal lengths :D) it into 2 lenses because although you have the convenience of a zoom, image quality suffers (distortion, etc).

Here's my input on Nikon 18-200mm. Like what the people said, the lens makes the CAs not the body so...

Nikon's 18-200mm has moderate CAs at either ends of the lens. It's not that visible unless you zoom really really in in areas that are high in contrast or very bright. It's not too bad though because some Nikon DSLRs have an auto correct option that removes CAs well, if not, Photoshop can do it for you.

ErikkaSmith's gear list:ErikkaSmith's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3100 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
Philip Kendall
Contributing MemberPosts: 789Gear list
Like?

bimbobo wrote:

If you want this...

don't do that. I know others have already said this, but it's worth reinforcing - if you're primary concern is CA, start looking at primes and/or moderate range zoom lenses; superzoom lenses like the 18-200 will always have more CA due to the fact that extra compromises have to be made in their design.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
ErikkaSmith
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
In reply to Philip Kendall, Oct 22, 2012

Philip Kendall wrote:

if you're primary concern is CA, start looking at primes

just not the Nikon's 35mm f/1.8G

ErikkaSmith's gear list:ErikkaSmith's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3100 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +2 more
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,483Gear list
Like?
17-55 and 200 f/2.8
In reply to bimbobo, Oct 22, 2012

What you'd need is a high-quality lens that has little chromatic aberration.  Avoid superzooms and cheap lenses.  You want a lens that maintains image quality at its maximum aperture.  Consider the Canon 200 f/2.8 and Canon 70-200 f/2.8, in addition to the 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S lens.

Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?
In reply to ErikkaSmith, Oct 22, 2012

ErikkaSmith wrote:

Yeah, I'll also "chop" (lol its so funny, the word suggest to chop the lens and you can use one end or the other for different focal lengths :D)

English is not my native language and I think it shows sometimes

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
bimbobo
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
In reply to Limburger, Oct 22, 2012

Thanks to all for replying..

I would prefer the combination of the body and the 18-200/250 lens.

I take picture outdoor when my son is playing football or my dog.. chasing cats and birds in the gardenĀ 

I was looking at the Canon T3i, as it seems more "clean" than the new T4, or the Nikon D5100/5200..

I have to decide where and how much to spend.. Maybe the T3 will get a lot cheaper after in 2013...

-- hide signature --

gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to bimbobo, Oct 22, 2012

Your demand is met by any good camera that can shoot in raw.  Just use Lightroom or DXO Optics Pro (if your body/lens is supported) to remove any chromatic aberration.   My vote is for the D5100 and 18-200.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads