Luminous Landscape Fuji X-E1 Review

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions
rockjon
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
Luminous Landscape Fuji X-E1 Review
Oct 21, 2012

It's not a super through review as a many components in the Fuji X-E1 are similar to those in Fuji X-Pro 1. However, the review is mostly positive on the camera.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/fuji_x_e1_review.shtml

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
simon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351
Like?
Re: Luminous Landscape Fuji X-E1 Review
In reply to rockjon, Oct 21, 2012

Thanks for the link rockjon.

Nothing too surprising in the review and it was generally a good one as expected.

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Starred
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
In reply to simon, Oct 21, 2012

Thanks, looks good!

Milkman
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

He got most everything right.  I was a little surprised that he didn't mention the poor RAW support especially since he highlights that he uses RAW except for family shots.  The rest of the deficiencies were not surprising.   I don't have a problem with where the shutter release, but I would like to get to video mode much easier.

-- hide signature --

---Chris
www.mielkephoto.com

ispress
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
In reply to Starred, Oct 21, 2012

Can any current XP1 owners comment on the focus-point adjustment issue he describes?

The other design shortcoming is a harder fix and relates to the placement of the AF button, at the back bottom left of the camera.  One of the pleasures of working with an EVF is the ability to focus pretty much anywhere in the field of view.  The catch is that to change the focus-point, one has to press the AF button. With the camera to one’s face, this is hard to do.  I kept shoving my left thumb up my nose.  In a perfect world, the ‘move the focus point’ function could be activated by pressing a button somewhere on the front of the camera with the left hand, while scrolling the focus-point with the four-way controller with the right. All while the camera remains at eye level.

ispress's gear list:ispress's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
chris24net
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
In reply to ispress, Oct 21, 2012

I have the XE-1 and I'm a left eye shooter and it's no issue.  He's obviously right eye so I can't speak to that.

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,447Gear list
Like?

ispress wrote:

Can any current XP1 owners comment on the focus-point adjustment issue he describes?

The other design shortcoming is a harder fix and relates to the placement of the AF button, at the back bottom left of the camera.  One of the pleasures of working with an EVF is the ability to focus pretty much anywhere in the field of view.  The catch is that to change the focus-point, one has to press the AF button. With the camera to one’s face, this is hard to do.  I kept shoving my left thumb up my nose.  In a perfect world, the ‘move the focus point’ function could be activated by pressing a button somewhere on the front of the camera with the left hand, while scrolling the focus-point with the four-way controller with the right. All while the camera remains at eye level.

He's right, but whether its an issue for you is another matter. I tend to lock focus and recompose and always use center point focus for that, so its a non-issue for me. The only time I'd be likely to move the focus point would be if I was shooting macros or using a tripod and in either case I'd probably be  using the rear screen to compose rather than the OVF/EVF. And I frankly end up moving the focus point SOOOOO rarely that I don't even give this a second thought. But if you're the kind of shooter who likes to move the focus point around the frame a lot, its a real consideration - the AF button is not well located for this.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?

ispress wrote:

Focus and recompose. Faster, simpler.  Unless you're shooting with a tripod in which case use the rear display.   My guess is they were doing studio shots with a tripod and noticed this. I never use a tripod and have no use for moving a little box around a focus screen while trying to hold the camera steady, fiddling with controls and hoping the subject does not change in the process.

The only time I could see what they point out as a shortcoming would be tripod mounted landscape photography in bright sunlight where the rear display may be a problem. Landscape photographers know the drill and I don't think the comment was even worth publishing.

threeOh
Like?
In reply to Milkman, Oct 21, 2012

Milkman wrote:

He got most everything right.  I was a little surprised that he didn't mention the poor RAW support especially since he highlights that he uses RAW except for family shots.  The rest of the deficiencies were not surprising.   I don't have a problem with where the shutter release, but I would like to get to video mode much easier.

-- hide signature --

---Chris
www.mielkephoto.com

He may not have pointed it out as good RAW support does exist. SilkyPix or RPP. If he starts getting into Adobe or Aperture specific comments, then he may as well say Nikon's have poor RAW support as their own software or NIK do a much better job at rendering than Adobe or Apple.

This is an issue of people not willing to change their workflow. In spite of the fact, over the years, they've changed it countless times on their own.  The bundled browser is the worst I've seen in a long time. However, the standalone raw converter/editor Fuji includes is quite nice and very responsive on my Mac. I now use Photo Mechanic as a browser and point it to the standalone raw app for edits. Works like a charm, I get better end results and don't have to moan and groan about poor raw support from my former software package.

The complaints about raw support are promoted by a vocal group who places software choice above IQ. For those interested in maximizing IQ, they've been using other apps for a while.  I can see pros wanting a well accepted app that's available on any machine they work on while at developers or clients. That is a small group. What I hear from the pros is SilkyPix or RPP, which I assume is what most of them use as IQ is more important than convenience.

JimMc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,878Gear list
Like?
In reply to threeOh, Oct 21, 2012

Does using Lightroom have the problem when processing images from the Fuji cameras?

JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
alexzn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670
Like?

The workflow is a sticky thing, and is a bigger issue than you think.  If you use any pro-grade software (Lightroom, Aperture), you have invested hundreds of dollars into software and maybe even books about it, and many, many hours trying to master it and figure out what works for you.  You really don't want to throw that investment out of the window.  I invested in Lightroom early on and while I have gone through several camera and systems brands in the last 5-7 years, Lightroom stayed on.  Its actually "annying" enough when they change the names and range of some development controls.

A truly professional grade system needs to have good RAW support from the major software manufacturers.  Pro users don't have time to learn new software and they are loosing money while they are learning.

david6785
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?

I  have to say his review is spot on, i just got the xe1 imported and one feature i wish wish they would include is letting you customize the 4 directional buttons for focus point switching only. It would make the xe1 a hundred times better for me. How fast you can set your shot up is crucial especially with not having blazing autofocus.

framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
In reply to JimMc, Oct 21, 2012

JimMc wrote:

Does using Lightroom have the problem when processing images from the Fuji cameras?

Lightroom and ACR use the same 'engine'.

That having been said, there are varying interpretations of the 'problem'.

Many have found the LR/ACR RAW conversions to be acceptable except for some images  that have high frequency detail. This has been my experience. PixelPeeprs will not agree. Many image makers will. 

Oh, the OOC Jpegs are pretty darn good.  The DPR Review of the X-pro1 discusses image quality in complex and wonderful detail. What the DPR guys have written there is congruent with my experience:

DPR X-PRO1 Image Quality Tests

and yup, I entertain fond hope that Adobe will improve the X-Trans RAW conversion algorithim.

-Framus

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1
Hugo Meinedo
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

threeOh wrote:

Focus and recompose. Faster, simpler.  Unless you're shooting with a tripod

or unless you're shooting with shallow DOF where the "focus and recompose" most of the time throws your subject out-of-focus...

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,985Gear list
Like?

ispress wrote:

It can be awkward so I don't do it much - I usually focus and recompose.

He's wrong though on one thing - in a perfect world the camera would focus where I am looking in the frame!

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,985Gear list
Like?
In reply to david6785, Oct 21, 2012

david6785 wrote:

I  have to say his review is spot on, i just got the xe1 imported and one feature i wish wish they would include is letting you customize the 4 directional buttons for focus point switching only. It would make the xe1 a hundred times better for me. How fast you can set your shot up is crucial especially with not having blazing autofocus.

Agree 100%

rockjon
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to david6785, Oct 22, 2012

Do you have to hold down the AF button while using the four directional buttons to change the autofocus point or does it work more like a toggle where you push down the AF button once and release then select the AF points using the directional buttons?

wilburpan
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
In reply to rockjon, Oct 22, 2012

rockjon wrote:

Do you have to hold down the AF button while using the four directional buttons to change the autofocus point or does it work more like a toggle where you push down the AF button once and release then select the AF points using the directional buttons?

You push the AF button once and then use the arrow buttons to move the AF point to where you want it.

I've gotten into the habit of envisioning my shot, pushing the AF button and setting the AF point to where I think the subject will be before raising the camera up to my eye. After that, it's a relatively trivial thing to fine tune the AF point if needed. And I don't think it's that hard to toggle the AF button with the camera up to my face.  It just takes practice.

I also think it's interesting that a review from Luminous Landscape would not make an issue of the dreaded watercolor effect on tree leaves in this or their X-Pro 1 review. Maybe it's not as major of a problem as the conventional wisdom on this forum might indicate. 

threeOh
Like?
In reply to Hugo Meinedo, Oct 22, 2012

Hugo Meinedo wrote:

threeOh wrote:

Focus and recompose. Faster, simpler.  Unless you're shooting with a tripod

or unless you're shooting with shallow DOF where the "focus and recompose" most of the time throws your subject out-of-focus...

Thanks, good point.

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
In reply to wilburpan, Oct 22, 2012

wilburpan wrote:

I also think it's interesting that a review from Luminous Landscape would not make an issue of the dreaded watercolor effect on tree leaves in this or their X-Pro 1 review. Maybe it's not as major of a problem as the conventional wisdom on this forum might indicate. 

Maybe because the problem you mention is not inherent in the camera or its processing, nor in the bundled software, but exists in other, non-proprietry software?

In that case, it's not a problem that would come up in a review of a /camera/.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads