Canadian Warrranty --- A99 -- reduced!!!

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions
Ross Drummond
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Canadian Warrranty --- A99 -- reduced!!!
Oct 20, 2012

I wonder why the warranty on the A99 is  only one year when all of the other SLTs in Canada have had a two year warranty?

-- hide signature --

Ross
SN 9903081 Konica Minolta 7D
'Charter Member of the Konica Minolta 7D Adoption Society'
SN 1400255 Sony A700
SN 1660180 Sony SLT-A55V
SN 0331003 Sony SLT-A77V

Ross Drummond's gear list:Ross Drummond's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +8 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MAStough
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: Canadian Warrranty --- A99 -- reduced!!!
In reply to Ross Drummond, Oct 22, 2012

Check with your dealer.  I'm form the US living in Germany and have found that for Apple products (e.g., iPhone), if you purchase it in Germany, you have, by default, a two year warranty.  Italy is currently engaging legal action against Apple for not following its two year warranty period as well.  (This according to Apple's USA warranty of 90 days service, 1 year product, unless you buy AppleCare).

So, my point is, if Canadian law requires 2 years, maybe Sony just doesn't know this ??

-- hide signature --

M.A.Stough

MAStough's gear list:MAStough's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gil Knutson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,239Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ross Drummond, Oct 23, 2012

Hmmmm... my first reaction is that it is really is not reliable.... but on second thought, there are probably other factors involved.

I paid for warranty on my A700, and have been covered for 4 years this November.... and never a problem with the beast.  However, as I said, I paid the price to have it covered.  I am not sure what an extra year would cost.... or if it is worth it.

Not every  manufacturer is of a Canadian mind set.  We have a Canadian company in the Audiophile world, that is truly Canadian through and through... Bryston.  They offer a 20 year warranty, and often cover amplifiers or preamps that are 25 years old anyways... as though they are still in warranty.  They overbuild.  Not sure how that would equate to a camera.  Still, it is uniquely Canadian.  Sony, really, has never had that sense of confidence about their products where they would offer more than a one year warrenty.  But, to be fair, off hand, I can't name any other that has, either.  Bryston has few of their equipment break down, because they test them adequately before they head out the door. 

And, they don't have the moving parts that a camera has, either.

-- hide signature --

Gil
Sardis, BC
Canada

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,823
Like?
In reply to Gil Knutson, Oct 23, 2012

SLR's have always had 2 years in Canada  they will even cover a US camera for 2 years if it's brought here like mine were.

Ross Drummond
Like?
In reply to Glenn, Oct 23, 2012

Not according to the warranty card shown on sony.ca for the A99. That had been my assumption too as all of my previous Sony purchases had a two year warranty.  Seems tey've change starting with the A99.  A new A77 still carries a two year warranty.

-- hide signature --

Ross
SN 1400255 Sony A700
SN 1660180 Sony SLT-A55V
SN 0331003 Sony SLT-A77V

Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +8 more
Danny Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?

This is sad news. I purchased my A900 in Canada because of the two y r warranty, and I'm lucky I did, as it needed a major repair after 14 months of professional use. I returned the camera to Sony Service in Toronto, where it was promptly repaired and returned to me . Canadians have benefited from this warranty for a long time.

jydurocher
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?

Move to Quebec!

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/webforms/SujetsConsommation/Vehicules/AchatVoitureNeuve/Garantie_en.aspx

a warranty must: "lasts a reasonable length of time, based on the price paid, the contract and the conditions governing its use"

Simply put, in Small Claims Court, a one year warranty on the A-99 would be declared invalid if a lower end, lower price camera from the same manufaturer offered a longer warranty.

So a prosumer camera like the A-99, used by a pro, should last 2 years. Unless Sony specify that the camera can only be used for non-commercial purposes, a nice selling point...

So in fact, your A-99 if used for non-pro use maybe covered for years, this is the reason why 'supplemental warranty' are not available in La Belle Province for most consumer goods.

By the way, this is one of the main reason why 'pro' as in photogs living 110% from their trade are Canon and Nikon users. Not for the build of the product, better IQ, larger lens selection, but knowing that if you are a pro, they will take care you anywhere around the world. Same will apply to the broadcast side at Sony. All for one good reason, if you watch a football game and you see Sony on the side of the TV camera, will you buy a Samsung video camera or fork a little more for a Sony? Same for Canon and Nikon. And Canon was able to beat Nikon only because of it's service to pros!

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?

During A99 demo event I was told from now on Sony camera will match US price as well as US warranty. So there won't be cross boarder shopping advantage on pricing, no more "free" additional warranty either.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Ross Drummond
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Oct 24, 2012

Well given the recent exchange rates we should expect the price to be equal or better than the US price but I'm not too enthuiastic about matching a warranty by cutting a year off the warranty I received on the Konica Minolta 7D, the Sony A700, A55 and the A77.  While I have been lucky enough never to have had to make a warranty claim, one of the reasons to feel confident was that the standard Sony camera warranty was a year longer than that of Nikon or Canon.

-- hide signature --

Ross
SN 1400255 Sony A700
SN 1660180 Sony SLT-A55V
SN 0331003 Sony SLT-A77V

Ross Drummond
Like?
In reply to jydurocher, Oct 24, 2012

J'aime le Quebec mais I'd rather live in Ontario.  I found those legal points interesting but having practised law in Ontario for the past 31 years I don't think those provisions would likely apply here.  Merci beaucoup.

-- hide signature --

Ross
SN 1400255 Sony A700
SN 1660180 Sony SLT-A55V
SN 0331003 Sony SLT-A77V

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,932
Like?
In reply to jydurocher, Oct 24, 2012

jydurocher wrote:

Move to Quebec!

http://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/webforms/SujetsConsommation/Vehicules/AchatVoitureNeuve/Garantie_en.aspx

One of the best reasons to buy from lozeau!
A few years ago I did a price match with Henry's but completely missed the fact that this did not encompass the 2 yr warranty in the process. Needless to say, I won't be making that mistake again.

jydurocher
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
In reply to Ross Drummond, Oct 24, 2012

Ross Drummond wrote:

J'aime le Quebec mais I'd rather live in Ontario.  I found those legal points interesting but having practised law in Ontario for the past 31 years I don't think those provisions would likely apply here.  Merci beaucoup.

-- hide signature --

Ross
SN 1400255 Sony A700
SN 1660180 Sony SLT-A55V
SN 0331003 Sony SLT-A77V

It would make for an interesting case if a non resident of Quebec, buying a product in Quebec, would have a Small Claim Court judgement in QC and have it executed in Ontario... Something to keep a lawyer at work for the next 31 years... A least...

Au plaisir

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,823
Like?
In reply to Ross Drummond, Oct 24, 2012

I actually called Sony as I was curious about this. and the sales person confirmed that they did drop the warranty to one year on the A99.  Extra warranty I'm told is $150.00

I didn't ask about the other models.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads