A99 Still life tests up at Imaging Resource!!

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
A99 Still life tests up at Imaging Resource!!
Oct 19, 2012

Woooo!  Been waiting so long for these!  Unfortunately high ISO noise doesn't compare to my 5D MIII  but I'm getting one anyway.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a99/sony-a99A7.HTM

Bill

Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 Still life tests up at Imaging Resource!!
In reply to billorg, Oct 19, 2012

billorg wrote:

Woooo!  Been waiting so long for these!  Unfortunately high ISO noise doesn't compare to my 5D MIII  but I'm getting one anyway.

Bill

Ouch! I compared the ISO 6400 shots of A99 and 5DM3 at both NR0 and NR1. The A99 is inferior compared to the 5DM3. I wouldn't have expected the differences to be so big and even in favor of the 5DM3. You'd think that the Sony sensor more than compensates for the SLT mirror light loss.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Addictif
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?
In reply to mick232, Oct 19, 2012

I keep saying it ... for pure photographic work and pure IQ ... SLTs  will not match Nikon and Canon offers at its full potential. The quest for the perfect hybrid ends up on a camera that's "almost excellent" at stills & video ... it's almost excellent ... but not quite there yet

-- hide signature --

Pedro Sombreireiro.
Shooting with: A77, 16-50 F2.8, 35 f1.8, 50 F1.8 & 85 F2.8

philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?

mick232 wrote:

billorg wrote:

Bill

Ouch! I compared the ISO 6400 shots of A99 and 5DM3 at both NR0 and NR1. The A99 is inferior compared to the 5DM3. I wouldn't have expected the differences to be so big and even in favor of the 5DM3. You'd think that the Sony sensor more than compensates for the SLT mirror light loss.

I would also read this thread

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3286221

The A99 is obviously going to struggle with a minimum of 1/3 stop of SLT light loss, so I expect that, but I can at least see If you look at the EXIF, the 5D3 at ISO6400 gives 1/800th f/8, the A99 1/1000th f/8, that's 25%

The D600 is even more disadvantaged there, 1/1250th @ ISO6400!

I think more info will come to light as the RAWs are dug into further, but I see no reason just yet to think the bottom line difference should ultimately end up being 1/3 stop difference with the A99 when apples to apples comparisons are done, unless Sony have totally messed up, since it does share the same sensor as the D600..

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,447
Like?
In reply to Addictif, Oct 19, 2012

Don't quite agree when  you end up with several stops more DR than the Canon and better colour separation than both. Only about half a stop more noise in RAW. Sure, if you shoot jpegs, there's much more to be desired.

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,756Gear list
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Oct 19, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

Don't quite agree when  you end up with several stops more DR than the Canon and better colour separation than both. Only about half a stop more noise in RAW. Sure, if you shoot jpegs, there's much more to be desired.

The difference isn't that great even with jpeg at ISO6400.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
In reply to philbot, Oct 19, 2012

philbot wrote:

The A99 is obviously going to struggle with a minimum of 1/3 stop of SLT light loss, so I expect that, but I can at least see If you look at the EXIF, the 5D3 at ISO6400 gives 1/800th f/8, the A99 1/1000th f/8, that's 25%

The D600 is even more disadvantaged there, 1/1250th @ ISO6400!

I think more info will come to light as the RAWs are dug into further, but I see no reason just yet to think the bottom line difference should ultimately end up being 1/3 stop difference with the A99 when apples to apples comparisons are done, unless Sony have totally messed up, since it does share the same sensor as the D600..

It almost appears as something is wrong with the tests. The 3DM3 at ISO12800 (1/1600) clearly beats the A99 at ISO6400 (1/1000).

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +21 more
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 827Gear list
Like?

You have to choose NR2 with the JPEGs from the A99, NR0 is noise reduction turned off and NR1 is low. But anyhow, the 5DMarkIII performs better.

If you apply Nik Dfine and some sharpening in PS on both the A99 and 5DMarkIII at ISO1600, the output is the same. The noise is very even on both camera's and easy to remove.

At ISO6400 the noise is fine grained with the 5DMarkIII, so Nik Define does a better job here instead of the blotchiness of the A99.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,004
Like?

I am afraid those lab tests are irrelevant in the real world.  We will have to wait for real-life samples posted by future users, and to look at the noise patterns.  I have looked at full res samples from the 5DIII and D600, and I am now waiting for those taken with the a99.  I expect them to be inferior due to the SLT technology, lower I/s(I) (i.e., signal-to-noise ratio) will ultimately lead higher noise when the signal is amplified to match non-SLT cameras.  Adding an extra piece of glass in the light path between subject and sensor is not the ultimate solution to enhance I/s(I).

Some may not like the idea of flipping mirrors, but the truth is that it still remains a very solid solution even for high-end cameras (see what Canikon does).  When CDAF will be fast enough, the mirror will eventually disappear, and SLT will be long forgotten as an intermediate solution.  Mirrorless is most likely the future, it is still not quite there yet but we are getting closer for sure.

-- hide signature --

All harsh, impolite and/or unreasonable replies will be simply ignored.
Measurebators are out of my world, photography is not about babbling behind a computer... but rather being out of your home, shoot and share photographs with other people. Shoot and Share...Thanks.

billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
In reply to moimoi, Oct 19, 2012

I disagree - if looking at only noise, this still life shot has guided me accurately through many camera purchases over the years.  Usability wise, that's a whole different story, my A77 is WAY more fun to shoot with than my 5D MIII and I get more in-focus shots as well.  But for low noise at high ISO, the still life shot can't be beat.  I always look at the gray area to the left of the black cup, above the green leaf and also the cup itself to check the noise.  It has always matched my real-world results.

Bill

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,862Gear list
Like?
The A99 definitely out performed

the A77. Surprisingly it is very closed to the Nikon D4 and better then the Nikon D600. I will buy one.

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
Wrathoftheolives
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
In reply to billorg, Oct 20, 2012

In terms of noise and based on the images, it looks like the 5D3 does beat the a99. However, I actually like the noise of a99. It's tightly packed and not blotchy. I dunno. I might be in denial, but I like the noise.

The shadow details seems a hair better in the a99. It is most evident in the reflection in the base of the bottle.

In any case, the real world difference will be negligible.

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 827Gear list
Like?

Here some more crops at ISO1600 and 6400 and JPEG default noise reduction,

My conclusion, 5DMarkIII has the best JPEG engine. A99 comes second and D800 last. All the D600 images look a litte softer than the others.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
sensibill
Senior MemberPosts: 4,342Gear list
Like?

I agree... Some people just dislike lab tests and feel they're too artificial or detached from 'real world' shooting (which is likely to be quite different for everyone) and some like being able to utilize a reasonably standardized method of comparing cameras. Barring the opportunity to shoot extensively with the cameras you are thinking of owning and comparing the pics at home, the latter is really the only method many of us have that comes close to a basis for comparison.

In many 'real world' cases, a 550D will not exhibit the pattern noise many Canon owners are well aware of, but for me it was an issue. It's stress 'lab' tests that can bring out the full potential and weaknesses of a camera and can be an essential part of the shopping process to those seeking to be as informed as possible.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony SLT-A57
GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Re: A99 vs D600, raw 6400 iso

I adjusted the tonal curve, default curve is in lr with to much contrast for high iso's with lower dr.

A99 has a more steep curve in the shadows and a smoother curve in the highlights.

a99 - d600

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads