Joby UltraFit Sling Strap - impressions

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions
Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 837
Like?
Joby UltraFit Sling Strap - impressions
Oct 19, 2012

Just got this yesterday & thought I'd post my impressions.

I've been using a black rapid sling for a couple of years. While it's nice there are some short comings, not the least of which is the fixed length (w/o adjusting). Saw the Joby strap, went to the web site - I liked the design so I ordered it when it became available.

It arrived yesterday & I took the time to play around with it. First impression is that it's everything a BR sling should be, someone took the time to look at the slings on the market and think "how can we make it better".

The single biggest improvement is it does not have a fixed length. All the other slings I've used (a couple besides BR) are fixed length, that is to say you adjust where you want the camera to ride & that's it. The joby strap is instantly adjustable - just grab the ring & push the camera back down & you can instantly shorten it to whatever length you choose. To bring the camera up it's the normal just raise the camera to eye level (it lengthens). You can also lock the length in any position using a simple flip.

Don't know about you folks but for me this was a huge deal. Often standing or seating in my travels. The fixed length sling worked fine while standing......but seating? I'd usually put the camera in my lap.......but.....the extra length allowed the camera to flop around a bit = a PITA. This Joby strap allows you to instantly change the length to suit your needs (& lock it there if need be) - this is great.

Another pet peeve w/ the BR was the padding. The web pad was not integral to the strap = it would twist under the pad, a PITA. Also the padding (even on the smallest one) is rather bulky. The joby strap pad is much thinner & integral to the strap. It is also wider so it distributes the load nicely.

The build quality is excellent, much better than I expected, especially the strap. Instead of being the normal web type strap it's much nicer......like car seatbelts. I suspect this is due to the sliding action (webbing wouldn't work). The rings, and camera mount are all good quality & nicely made. It uses the tripod mount. It's stainless thread & flip up D ring, fairly heavy plastic with rubber around the thread to keep it from coming loose.

The only negative I can come up with is the tripod mount is integral to the strap. Seem to be no way to add clips so you can move it from one camera to another. With the BR I use two pieces in cameras & clip the strap from one to another. It's not all that hard to unscrew it.......just being picky.

You can see videos of the strap here -

http://joby.com/camera-straps

(note I am in no way affiliated with the company - just passing along some info on what I view as  better mousetrap)

profilor
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Re: Joby UltraFit Sling Strap - impressions
In reply to Bailey151, Oct 23, 2012

Nice summary thanks for this, it confirms my first impressions when I saw the stap at the Photokina. Now I just need to wait until it becomes available over here...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
festaman
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, Oct 29, 2012

Thanks man great info. Anymore up to date info? I am thinking about buying it this week.

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, Oct 30, 2012

Awesome. I just ordered on.

I actually like the tripod-mount connection. I have a wrist-strap that i currently use, and am excited to jut be able to leave that on the camera and use the Joby strap for longer excursions.

Appreciate the excellent review!

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
JOBYian
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to profilor, Nov 2, 2012

Hi profilor, thanks for the interest. You can email info@daymen.de who is our Germany distributor to see when they start coming in stock in Germany through our retailers.

JOBYian
Like?
In reply to festaman, Nov 2, 2012

Hi festaman, if you have any questions about our camera straps, let me know, and I'll try to answer them the best that I can.

DOUSMAN
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to paulski66, Mar 7, 2013

I just bought the Joby Sling Strap for men. Although I like it a lot for the quick adjustment feature I have 2 minor beefs with it. Just for reference I use the sling on my 5D2 with a 70-200 f2.8 IS and a battery grip, so it's bulky and heavy

1. The tripod connector is too bulky that when I have my camera in portrait position, the tripod mount is hitting my palm, making it difficult for me to control some button settings from the battery grip. A lower profile connector or strap clip attachment would be better. Not an issue without the grip.

2. Because the camera and lens is heavy, the sling shoulder pad seem to slide up to my neck because of the weight. an underarm connector or a "U" shaped shoulder pad would probably be helpful here

Other than that I love it!

Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 779Gear list
Like?
In reply to DOUSMAN, Mar 26, 2013

I'm thinking of buying the Joby Ultrafit Sling Strap. I'm a big guy, and I'm curious as to whether you think the stap can be lenghthened enough to accomodate a large man's chest (I wear 3X shirts, if that helps).

Thanks in advance.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +22 more
JOBYian
Like?
In reply to Neurad1, Apr 21, 2013

Neurad1 wrote:

I'm thinking of buying the Joby Ultrafit Sling Strap. I'm a big guy, and I'm curious as to whether you think the stap can be lenghthened enough to accomodate a large man's chest (I wear 3X shirts, if that helps).

Hi Neurad1, the strap might not be long enough for you. The strap is really designed to be secured up against your body, and if you're pretty wide, it might not work as well. We are testing out some XL versions though which should be out in a few months.

m43er
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
In reply to JOBYian, Apr 21, 2013

I wish there is an option to connect the strap to 2 points on the camera - side and bottom - instead of both points at the bottom.

It makes the camera more steady instead of twirling.

-- hide signature --

I like cat photos.

djdan00
Like?
In reply to m43er, 11 months ago

I know there is a difference between the Joby strap for men and the strap for women.

But as there is a deal on in local shop for the women strap and its half price, would it be comfortable for a man to use? Or is it that different it would be uncomfortable.

Thanks

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, 11 months ago

I like the continual padding and adjustability feature of this strap, and would be more interested if there was a version to attach to the camera lug opposite the grip, like the OpTech Utility Sling strap.   To me, a camera hangs more naturally from this point, lens facing inward on front of my hip/leg, and I can easily grab the grip when I'm ready to shoot.  However, because of it's design, the OpTech strap is a bit too long for me to clinch it up high enough to keep my leg from hitting the body/lens and making it bounce.  (I am a size small, 5'11" male)   Oh well, the quest for the perfect sling strap continues...

HomoSapiensWannaBe's gear list:HomoSapiensWannaBe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +25 more
rvandersyde
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 10 months ago

I've had one of the Joby UltraFit Sling Straps for a while, its great, but a bit of a pain when it comes to using my tripod. Has anyone tried the new accessory Joby has created that allows you to use both the Joby Ultrafit Sling Strap and a traditional Tripod mount at the same time? I'd be very keen to know peoples thoughts.

david smith
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
In reply to HomoSapiensWannaBe, 10 months ago

I've just got my sling strap, but I also bought the ultraplate, this allows you to use a tripod quick plate with the sling still attached. Very impressed. Both made by Joby.

-- hide signature --

David Smith

dwestenk
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to JOBYian, 10 months ago

JOBYian wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

Hi Neurad1, the strap might not be long enough for you. The strap is really designed to be secured up against your body, and if you're pretty wide, it might not work as well. We are testing out some XL versions though which should be out in a few months.

I am 6'5" and wear XL Tall shirts. I think the sling is not long enough. I don't understand how it is supposed to be "secured up against your body," when it is essentially a loop that is held on your body at the point of your shoulder.

My other issues are (1) difficult to use with a tripod, (2) very difficult to use with a flip-up screen body held at the waist, due to the connector/strap making it difficult to flip the screen (a connection at one of the side lugs would be better, IMHO), and (3) expensive (especially now that I can't return it for an Op/Tech).

Allan martin
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
In reply to dwestenk, 10 months ago

Hey, it's being a while im on duty searching for a good slingstrap.

For those who have already bought the joby and for those that are thinking about buying it, arent you guys worried about it being attached exclusively to the tripod mount? Ive heard many stories about cameras breaking from excessive tension on the tripod mount.

Optech for example uses the regular loops on the sides of the camera for their slingstrap.

Any thoughts on that?

papaya
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, 10 months ago

THANKS so much. I have been looking at the Blackrapid series which I think it is great but in their videos I find the fixed length is an issue where Joby does not have. I do NOT Like how my camera swings around especially I'm tall. Your post just saved me 60-80$. I made an account only so I can leave my thought here

Scrondar
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to papaya, 8 months ago

papaya wrote:

THANKS so much. I have been looking at the Blackrapid series which I think it is great but in their videos I find the fixed length is an issue where Joby does not have. I do NOT Like how my camera swings around especially I'm tall. Your post just saved me 60-80$. I made an account only so I can leave my thought here

I have the BR strap, and while I like it, I don't love it. I had to buy their under-arm stabilizing accessory strap to keep the padded portion of the main strap on my shoulder when wearing any shirt that is the slightest bit slick (I hike in synthetic Tees that are much more "slippery" than cotton), otherwise it would slide when I brought my camera (D7000) up to shoot. The Joby offering looks like a winner, but as others have noted here, it too seems to have its shortcomings. What I like most about it is that you and secure your camera behind you, so it's not swinging off your hip. This alone may get me to try it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads