2 great alternatives to Olympus Sport Case for RX100

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
2 great alternatives to Olympus Sport Case for RX100
Oct 19, 2012

I had no luck getting the Olympus Horizontal Sport case to work, so I returned it, but I still hoped to find a horizontal form-fitting neoprene case (since I started using a neck strap I've found vertical cases akward). I was perusing the Op/Tech site and they had only a few options that they linked with the RX100, but I decided to delve further, and my delving paid off, with two different but really good options.

My favorite is this one, the Soft Pouch-Snapeez, $9.95 on Amazon. It fits the camera like a glove and closes with a magnet. The back has a belt loop which is so tight it can be used as a horizontal battery pocket, especially if I sew one side shut.

Snapeez closed around RX100

Back view, belt loop

The other one is the Soft Pouch Digital Series--D-Micro, $15.70 on Amazon. This one requires a bit more effort (by design) to get the camera into it--Op/Tech suggests turning it inside out, but I didn't need to. It has an internal "leash" strap and hook that attaches to the camera's strap, and allows the case to stay attached while off the camera. This one has no belt loop. It has two snaps on the underside of the pouch. If I keep it I'd sew velcro to the label and the bottom, as the snaps require more effort than the magnet of the Snapeez.

The part with the label has snaps that close under the pouch. Camera case "leash" on right.

D-Micro, top view with camera

D-Micro bottom view

The caption of the 5th image above disappeared, but that is the side view of the Snapeez, showing the elastic which makes it adjustable.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tonyswash
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
Re: 2 great alternatives to Olympus Sport Case for RX100
In reply to Liz Z., Oct 19, 2012

I use a BlackRapid RS-7 camera strap for my D800 and I got a Black Rapid Joey 3 large pocket to clip onto it and it holds my RX100 perfectly. The combination of having both cameras on the same strap is fantastic as they really compliment each other.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to tonyswash, Oct 19, 2012

tonyswash wrote:

I use a BlackRapid RS-7 camera strap for my D800 and I got a Black Rapid Joey 3 large pocket to clip onto it and it holds my RX100 perfectly. The combination of having both cameras on the same strap is fantastic as they really compliment each other.

The Black Rapid seems like an interesting system!  I had looked at one of their horizontal cases on line (Snapr 10) but it seemed too narrow for the RX100.

-- hide signature --

Liz

aburman
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

Liz Z. wrote:

tonyswash wrote:

The Black Rapid seems like an interesting system!  I had looked at one of their horizontal cases on line (Snapr 10) but it seemed too narrow for the RX100.

-- hide signature --

Liz

The RX 100 fits perfectly in the Snapr 10. I have it. Great system.

Alex

aburman's gear list:aburman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
John TF
Contributing MemberPosts: 945
Like?

Liz Z. wrote:

I had no luck getting the Olympus Horizontal Sport case to work, so I returned it, but I still hoped to find a horizontal form-fitting neoprene case (since I started using a neck strap I've found vertical cases akward). I was perusing the Op/Tech site and they had only a few options that they linked with the RX100, but I decided to delve further, and my delving paid off, with two different but really good options.

My favorite is this one, the Soft Pouch-Snapeez, $9.95 on Amazon. It fits the camera like a glove and closes with a magnet. The back has a belt loop which is so tight it can be used as a horizontal battery pocket, especially if I sew one side shut.

Thanks, Liz. I'll try it out.

Need to take care on Amazon - there are several sizes of this pouch. I think this is the one Liz is referring to:

OP/TECH USA 7301264 Snappeez-Large, Wide Body Horizontal Neoprene Pouch for Camera (4.5 x 2.5 x .75 - 1.25 Inch) (Black)

-- hide signature --

John TF

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to John TF, Oct 19, 2012

John TF wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

Thanks, Liz. I'll try it out.

Need to take care on Amazon - there are several sizes of this pouch. I think this is the one Liz is referring to:

OP/TECH USA 7301264 Snappeez-Large, Wide Body Horizontal Neoprene Pouch for Camera (4.5 x 2.5 x .75 - 1.25 Inch) (Black)

-- hide signature --

John TF

Yes, that's it. And even though it says the maximum width is 1.25" it requires no effort to get the RX100 into it.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to aburman, Oct 19, 2012

aburman wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

tonyswash wrote:

-- hide signature --

Liz

Alex

Thanks Alex...Interesting that their posted measurements are off, then. The Black Rapid site says that the Snapr 10 has a width of one inch where the RX100 body is 1.5" or so; it might make sense to let them know that it accomodates a camera that is thicker than one inch. I called Op/Tech and told them the two cases above should be listed for the RX100 in their "Product Finder," which they were pleased to know, but it remains to be seen if they make changes to their website!

Do you find that hanging from the tripod port the camera bangs against your hip as you walk? That's what happened to me when I tried to use a neck strap with a previous camera that had only one attachment point on one side of its body.

-- hide signature --

Liz

JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?

Liz Z. wrote:

Back view, belt loop

The other one is the Soft Pouch Digital Series--D-Micro, $15.70 on Amazon. This one requires a bit more effort (by design) to get the camera into it--Op/Tech suggests turning it inside out, but I didn't need to. It has an internal "leash" strap and hook that attaches to the camera's strap, and allows the case to stay attached while off the camera. This one has no belt loop. It has two snaps on the underside of the pouch. If I keep it I'd sew velcro to the label and the bottom, as the snaps require more effort than the magnet of the Snapeez.

The part with the label has snaps that close under the pouch. Camera case "leash" on right.

D-Micro, top view with camera

D-Micro bottom view

The caption of the 5th image above disappeared, but that is the side view of the Snapeez, showing the elastic which makes it adjustable.

-- hide signature --

Liz

I would recommend using a zipped case. I used to use cases like this or even put my camera in my shirt pocket. Until I got l dust on my sensor (Canon S95) Dirt can work its way through the lens sleeves after a while and sensor cleaning on a fixed lens camera is expensive. You don't want that to happen to your RX100.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Liz Z.
Like?

Liz Z. wrote:

Alex

Do you find that hanging from the tripod port the camera bangs against your hip as you walk? That's what happened to me when I tried to use a neck strap with a previous camera that had only one attachment point on one side of its body.

Never mind, I just saw the instructional video--I was picturing the camera on the strap minus the case!

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to JCB123, Oct 19, 2012

I normally keep my camera in my purse, in its case, so I am hoping that this will work--it's worked for previous cameras, anyway. The problem is, with a neck strap a zipped case has to either stay partially open so that the straps can protrude, or I'd have to have a much bigger one to accomodate them.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.
Like?

Tried without success to edit my post above, so here's what I meant to say:

I just saw the instructional video again--I was picturing the camera on the strap minus the case. Does it bang in that situation, or do you always have it in its case?

-- hide signature --

---

Liz

JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to Liz Z., Oct 22, 2012

Liz Z. wrote:

I normally keep my camera in my purse, in its case, so I am hoping that this will work--it's worked for previous cameras, anyway. The problem is, with a neck strap a zipped case has to either stay partially open so that the straps can protrude, or I'd have to have a much bigger one to accomodate them.

-- hide signature --

Liz

I guess that should work too. Being a bloke I don't carry a handbag/purse so the zipped case (with the wrist strap tucked inside) is the solution I have adopted for carrying my camera.

So

Girls - do what Liz does (just make sure your face powder doesn't escape into your bag)

Guys - do what I do or something similar. Just don't rely on a 'gappy' case to keep pocket lint away from your camera.

If you notice dust on the lens barrels when they extend then you know you are at risk. Brush, or blow it off before you power the camera off and make some change to how you carry your camera. Uncased in a shirt pocket is not a good idea - learn from my mistake. Dust on the lens barrels will eventually find its way inside and onto your sensor.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,014Gear list
Like?
In reply to Liz Z., Dec 11, 2012

Thanks Liz - ordered a snap-ezz

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Liz Z.
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, Dec 12, 2012

DFPanno wrote:

Thanks Liz - ordered a snap-ezz

That's become my favorite, use-all-the-time case!

-- hide signature --

Liz

langdonauger
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
My Op/Tech doesn't fit
In reply to Liz Z., Dec 24, 2012

I just got the "snappeez wide body horizontal large" for a xmas gift from Amazon based on this thread, and there is no way it will fit inside. It doesn't have that Op/Tech logo, and says "made in China" inside. Wifey was pretty excited to give it to me, but oh well.

Liz Z.
Like?
Re: My Op/Tech doesn't fit
In reply to langdonauger, Dec 24, 2012

langdonauger wrote:

I just got the "snappeez wide body horizontal large" for a xmas gift from Amazon based on this thread, and there is no way it will fit inside. It doesn't have that Op/Tech logo, and says "made in China" inside. Wifey was pretty excited to give it to me, but oh well.

That's a shame! It sounds as if you got some knock-off. But if you ordered the Op/Tech one from Amazon and they sent you another, you do have very right to return it at their expense, based on their sending you a substitute item.

You can see from the photos that the camera really does fit into the right one!

-- hide signature --

Liz

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads