Tip on retouch facial blown areas

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions
Dave Jaseck
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,156Gear list
Like?
Tip on retouch facial blown areas
Oct 18, 2012

Thought I would revisit a technique that Scott Kelby suggested in his book, "The Adobe Photoshop CS3 book for Digital Photographers", which give a ton of particle and useful techniques.  This is retouch technique correct for the blown areas (from flash or lighting) on faces, i.e. forheads, noses, chins.  It is something I use all the time for this and for other applications.  Simply add a blank layer over background, select the clone tool set at approx 40% opacity and blend mode at "darken" (you can conversely set it at lighten for the opposite effect).  Make a  selection with the tonallity you would like around the blown area you want to retouch, and clown in the area.  You can keep as much of the correction you would like by also adjusting the opacity of the what was the blank layer. Thought this might be a useful tip for those new to Photoshop.  Here is an example, the original and the retouched version of a project I am doing of digitizing some older photographs of my late wife.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/davidjaseck
http://www.pbase.com/davidjaseck/image/112520927/small.jpg
Be careful how you interpret the world: It is like that.

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,730Gear list
Like?
Re: Tip on retouch facial blown areas
In reply to Dave Jaseck, Oct 18, 2012

Great tip, Dave.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RayGuselli
Forum ProPosts: 13,459Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, Oct 18, 2012

Hi Dave...

an excellent tip and well executed. One to keep for future use and much appreciated.

I took the liberty because I know you will not mind of painting the beautiful photo of your dear wife and used the original because of its beautiful warmth.

If you do prefer I remove it I will do so of course but I thought she looked especially nice in the image and took the liberty.......

I hope you don't mind and that you like.

Best wishes

Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,730Gear list
Like?
In reply to RayGuselli, Oct 18, 2012

RayGuselli wrote:

Hi Dave...

an excellent tip and well executed. One to keep for future use and much appreciated.

I took the liberty because I know you will not mind of painting the beautiful photo of your dear wife and used the original because of its beautiful warmth.

If you do prefer I remove it I will do so of course but I thought she looked especially nice in the image and took the liberty.......

I hope you don't mind and that you like.

Best wishes

Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

That is a great smudge, Ray! Nice hair detail as well. Great skintones.

Dave Jaseck
Like?
It's beautiful Ray....
In reply to RayGuselli, Oct 18, 2012

Of course I don't mine, I am thrilled with your version.  I still don't know how I got that lucky to have this magnificent woman share her life with me.

-- hide signature --

DianeR
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,295
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, Oct 18, 2012

Oh, lovely work, Ray! She was a lovely looking lady and was fortunate in having a very talented photographer husband to capture her!

-- hide signature --

DianeR www.pbase.com/ramseyd

mikes
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,014
Like?
Different color clothing
In reply to Dave Jaseck, Oct 18, 2012

And in oil too....

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

mikes
Like?
We'll try again....
In reply to mikes, Oct 18, 2012
-- hide signature --

mikes
Like?
I give up
In reply to mikes, Oct 18, 2012

maybe this will work

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2275445.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1350599562&Signature=oieBe5H9MLoFcAQpMngCMrkKU8Y%3d

-- hide signature --

Dave Jaseck
Like?
Mike...
In reply to mikes, Oct 19, 2012

Good color switch.  I like it, thanks...Dave

-- hide signature --

mikes
Like?
Re: Mike...
In reply to Dave Jaseck, Oct 19, 2012

Thanks, I guess you are able to see the painting! For some reason, pics wont display on my browser? Just started today.  Damn I hate this new Dpreview.

-- hide signature --

rambler35
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?

mikes wrote:

Thanks, I guess you are able to see the painting! For some reason, pics wont display on my browser? Just started today.  Damn I hate this new Dpreview.

Well, at least I can view it on your Dpreview web gallery Mikes.

Very nice painting it is too.  What software, tools, techniques do you use?

-- hide signature --

-- Richard --

mikes
Like?
In reply to rambler35, Oct 19, 2012

Hi Rambler. I use strictly Corel Software for most of what I do here. This painting, like most of my paintings, was done in Corel Painter. For all final adjustments I use Corel PP.

Question, can you see my painting embedded within the post, or did you have to go to the galleries to see the painting? Dpreview has screwed up the gallery linking and we have no way to advise them, they simply never respond.

-- hide signature --

rambler35
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Re. Viewing your painting

mikes wrote:

Hi Rambler. I use strictly Corel Software for most of what I do here. This painting, like most of my paintings, was done in Corel Painter. For all final adjustments I use Corel PP.

Question, can you see my painting embedded within the post, or did you have to go to the galleries to see the painting? Dpreview has screwed up the gallery linking and we have no way to advise them, they simply never respond.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the info Mikes.  For me, your image doesn't appear within your post ........ I have to go to your gallery to see it.

-- hide signature --

-- Richard --

Dave Jaseck
Like?
Re: Re. Viewing your painting
In reply to rambler35, Oct 19, 2012

The new format make it quite easy to embed an image in the post or reply.  Simply choose one of the the 3 choices on the menu when you are making a reply or starting a thread.  At the Top right you make a selection, your image can be either posted somewhere on the web i.e. pbase or from you computer hard drive or someplace on dpreview.

-- hide signature --

mikes
Like?
Re: Re. Viewing your painting
In reply to Dave Jaseck, Oct 19, 2012

That is the way I have always done it. For some reason now they won't post. This issue just started yesterday. It has something to with the link to the dpreview gallery won't display the image. More specifically, my gallery and my link to my gallery. Yet I can view my gallery as usual, as others can as well. I have taken all security and privacy levels so anyone can view and copy original files.

-- hide signature --

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,357
Like?
In reply to Dave Jaseck, Oct 20, 2012

Dave Jaseck wrote:

Thought I would revisit a technique that Scott Kelby suggested in his book, "The Adobe Photoshop CS3 book for Digital Photographers", which give a ton of particle and useful techniques.  This is retouch technique correct for the blown areas (from flash or lighting) on faces, i.e. forheads, noses, chins.  It is something I use all the time for this and for other applications.  Simply add a blank layer over background, select the clone tool set at approx 40% opacity and blend mode at "darken" (you can conversely set it at lighten for the opposite effect).  Make a  selection with the tonallity you would like around the blown area you want to retouch, and clown in the area.  You can keep as much of the correction you would like by also adjusting the opacity of the what was the blank layer. Thought this might be a useful tip for those new to Photoshop.  Here is an example, the original and the retouched version of a project I am doing of digitizing some older photographs of my late wife.

-- hide signature --

Dave. I use a similar method to yours and thought I'd give yours a try but am having trouble. Which Layer do you have active when doing the Cloning at 40% using Darken. If using the new blank Layer, nothing happens. If using the original layer you just get a dark sort of patch on the blown area.What is the new blank layer above doing?

Jules

Dave Jaseck
Like?
Jules....
In reply to JulesJ, Oct 20, 2012

Blank layer in in normal blend mode, clone tool set at 40% (more or less), with blend mode darken or lighten whichever you are trying to do, make sure that" sample all layers or current and below" is checked.  My guess is that they are unchecked which would give you no effect.

-- hide signature --

Patsy Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472
Like?
In reply to Dave Jaseck, Oct 20, 2012

A beautiful Lady Dave, thanks for the tip and for the play. I put my own interpretation on it hope you dont mind.

Regards Patsym

Dave Jaseck
Like?
Patsy...very nice...
In reply to Patsy Murphy, Oct 20, 2012

I certainly don't mind.  Beautifully done.  Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads