roger bourland
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D 580ex trigger
In reply to PJC Imagery, Oct 20, 2012

On first try I'm happy with the YN-622c with 7D and 580ex-2

This was shot using High Speed Sync f4 1/1000 at iso100

roger bourland's gear list:roger bourland's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
roger bourland
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Oct 20, 2012

did not try the 550ex yet I know it will not work with ettl hoping that I do not have any problems with manual I will give an update assp

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Oct 21, 2012

Hi, I’m not a 622 user, but I thought it was the other way around. With a 550Ex & 622 combo you should get ETTL & M flash – the only thing missing is remote M flash power fraction setting, from the camera, (you can still adjust M fractions, whole stops, on the 550 itself). Of course I could very easily be wrong about that. Nice pic. Cheers

roger bourland
Like?

Well did some more testing today, and the yn-622c will work in manual mode with the 550ex, but kind of strange the 550ex needs to be set in master mode. I could only get about 90 feet away at this time but not a single misfire so far I will add more when I have more data planning to use both 580ex-2 and 550 ex in M mode and see how they work together. Thanks, Roger.

roger bourland
Like?

Note that you can not adjust power levels from the camera on the 550ex, but you can adjust the f-stop from the camera.

roger bourland
Like?
In reply to PJC Imagery, Oct 21, 2012

A few more test's today and manual mode the 550ex will work just fine with the yn-622c and the 580 ex2. Hope to get to a park tomorrow to see how much distance I can get with the yn-622c.

PJC Imagery
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Oct 22, 2012

roger bourland wrote:

A few more test's today and manual mode the 550ex will work just fine with the yn-622c and the 580 ex2. Hope to get to a park tomorrow to see how much distance I can get with the yn-622c.

Thanks Roger,

I like the HSS shot, you got good exposure on the subject and background.  I thought the same as the other poster, that the triggers worked with ettl on cameta but not manual.  Which is it?

roger bourland
Like?
In reply to PJC Imagery, Oct 22, 2012

with the 508ex-2 they will work manual or ettl, with 550ex they will only shoot manual

SeedyBee
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Oct 29, 2012

roger bourland wrote:

with the 508ex-2 they will work manual or ettl, with 550ex they will only shoot manual

I suspect that you are using a "mixed" mode of triggering and this is confusing the situation (and Scratchedisk and PJC Imagery). The flashes should be in non-wireless, standalone mode, and settings should not be made on the flashes, at least in Remote Control mode.

The 550EX (and the 580EX I) cannot be controlled by the 7D's flash control menus, and is therefore limited to those functions which can be controlled by the camera buttons. The camera + YN622 can control the YN622 + 550EX in ETTL with FEC; they cannot set Manual levels.

There can be a significant propagation delay when the flashes are used in this mixed Master/Manual wireless mode, and cause syncing issues.

The on-camera YN622 is the sole Master for the camera.

You may find by "The Other YN-622C User Guide" helpful:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

-- hide signature --

Clive

Solophotog
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
In reply to 40d_dane, Oct 31, 2012

40d_dane wrote:

Silverwind wrote:

I have used Phottix Stratos II (not the multi-5-n-1) and love them

Same here... bought ST-E3-RT + two 600EX-RT. Gave up on the radio system because of a fatal design flaw (acknowledged by Canon Support). Got Phottix Stratos II's since I shoot with manual flash control. It simply works. The Stratos is like a Ferrari while the Canon radio system is like a Citron 2CV. However the Stratos II is manual control only and no HSS ! If you need either go for the Phottix Odin system... which unfortunately is significantly more expensive.

Hi

What's the fatal design flaw in the new radio system?

Jay in Toronto

roger bourland
Like?
In reply to SeedyBee, Nov 11, 2012

I have tested the yn622 with the 550ex and I can not get them to work in ettl, only in manual

roger bourland
Like?
In reply to SeedyBee, Nov 11, 2012

This is how I had to attach my yn-622c to my cowboy softbox

Austin_Luker
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
In reply to kamen45, Nov 11, 2012

kamen45 wrote:

get PHOTTIX ODIN trigger

The best! I have it.

Best regards!

The best? I don't think so, I have been using Pocket Wizard TT1's and TT5's since there release and find these to be the "BEST" wireless triggers on the market! Little pricey but you get what you pay for

-- hide signature --

AustinLuker.com
7D-5DMKII-1DMKIV

SeedyBee
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Nov 24, 2012

roger bourland wrote:

I have tested the yn622 with the 550ex and I can not get them to work in ettl, only in manual

If you place a YN-622C on the camera, and put the 550 on another 622 and lay them on a table, does it now work in ETTL? What about after doing a factory re-set of the flash?

Observations: The 622 works -only- in ETTL with FEC and ratio settings available. Manual is not available. This is when using the camera's flash control menus. You should not be touching any setting on the flash, other than to turn off Wireless mode.

Your softbox mounting system is ingenious, but blocks the LCD on the flash. One potential problem - the 622 is mounted on a shoe which looks as though it could short out one or more of the 4 extra pins. I would not consider usingthat shoe for the 622.

The 550 can in fact be used in manual and simply triggered by the 622. Change mode from ETTL to Manual on-flash, and set a power level. You will not be able to control it remotely. In fact, you will need to re-set that flash to ETTL if you want the camera to work with it in ETTL mode.

-- hide signature --

Clive

roger bourland
Like?
In reply to SeedyBee, Nov 25, 2012

No the 550ex will only work in manual mode with yn622c while the 580ex2 will work in both manual or ettl the 550ex can not be control  from the camera with the yn622 in either mode manual or ettl however I can control the 580ex2 directly from the 7d when using the yn622.

SeedyBee
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Nov 26, 2012

roger bourland wrote:

No the 550ex will only work in manual mode with yn622c while the 580ex2 will work in both manual or ettl the 550ex can not be control from the camera with the yn622 in either mode manual or ettl however I can control the 580ex2 directly from the 7d when using the yn622.

I am sorry to say that you are not correct. Using the YN-622s, the 580EX can be controlled from the camera in E-TTL mode, and not in Manual mode.

Re-set the 580EX, leave it in ETTL mode, and try again. Make sure that the flash is seated correctly. Have you read my user guide? It was approved by the YN-622 design engineer.

I hope that you find out what is causing your problem! For yourself and for other readers.

-- hide signature --

Clive

SeedyBee
Like?
In reply to SeedyBee, Nov 26, 2012

Hi again, Roger.

I can think of only three configurations that would produce what you report.

1. 7D + 622 in Remote mode. Camera menu set to ETT: mode.
622 + 580EX set on-flash to Wireless OFF, and Manual mode.

The canera menu setting is unable to over-ride the flash's setting, because the 580EX cannot [rocess the required data flows through its hot-foot pins. (As a slave its wireless sensor has a path for the commands direct to its processor.)

Result - Flash's ETTL cannot be engaged, and flash works only in Manual as set on the flash.

2. 7D + 622 in Mix mode (Channel indicator stays lit). Camera menu forced to ETTL.
622 + 580EX set to Wireless Off, and Manual mode.

Mix mode means that on-flash settings over-ride menu settings. Although the menu says ETTL, the Mix Mode setting over-rides it.

Result - Flash works only in Manual as set on the flash.

3. Flash is connected by PC-sync cable and adapter hot-foot.

Result - flash will react to 1st curtain sync, 2nd curtain sync or pre-shutter sync, and fire as a dumb flash.

If the 7D, 622s and 580EX are correctly set for ETTL, the 580EX will handle ETTL correctly, including any FEC set by camera button, flash control menu or Quick Panel.

The 580EX is incapable of handling most of the menu items, including Manual gtoup settings. That came in 2007 with the 40D, 1D III, 580EX II and 430EX II. It's all Canon, not Yongnuo.

Best wishes

-- hide signature --

Clive

roger bourland
Like?

I think you misunderstood the 580ex-2 can be controlled in either mode manual or ettl the 550ex can only be triggered in manual mode.

roger bourland
Like?

I will test it again I must be missing something

SeedyBee
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Nov 26, 2012

Hi, Roger.

You are right about the 580EX II. You are wrong about the 580EX it handles ETTL, FEC and ratios from the external flash control menus. It cannot accept manual level settings from the menus.

see: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

-- hide signature --

Clive

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads