what is the gp-1A about?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Questions
FuzzTheKingOfTrees
Contributing MemberPosts: 733
Like?
what is the gp-1A about?
Oct 16, 2012

With the D600 Nikon seems to have released a new GPS called the GP-1A, the old model was just GP-1.

Does this mean the old GP-1 doesn't work on the D600? Can anybody who has this combination confirm this? I have a GP-1 which I use on my D300 and I was expecting to be able to buy it on a D600 I will buy once the price has fallen to a sensible level in the UK (it's getting close but I think under £1500 is a sensible price).

My D300 uses the 10pin connector but the GP-1 also comes with a connector that fits into the shutter release on the smaller Nikons. This works fine on the D7000 so I was expecting it to work fine on the D600.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davidwheelerphd
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: what is the gp-1A about?
In reply to FuzzTheKingOfTrees, Oct 26, 2012

From the Nikon Web Page:  http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25488/D600.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

and the GP-1A GPS unit are compatible with the D600. GP-1 GPS unitBoth the 
Now, I am trying to find out the difference between the two. What is new about the GP-1A?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?
Save yourself $300
In reply to davidwheelerphd, Oct 26, 2012

The GP-1A looks pretty much like the GP-1 which I have.

Let me save you $300 - don't get it, it sucks. For $300 bucks you expect something that is sort of useful.

Cr@ppy things about the GP-1:

• needs good view of sky to get signal, slow lock
  • GPS coordinates are only recorded when the unit has a lock (i.e. anytime something blocks the sky, you have no GPS data and no location info) - e.g. it doesn't use the last known position when you enter a building
  • incredibly inconvenient - stiff cable which dwarfs the unit gets in the way of everything
  • mounting on the hot shoe means flash cannot be opened
  • while the unit has a cable to connect to a 10 pin socket, there is no way to connect a 10 pin remote to the unit - so people using 10 pin remotes are supposed to buy another remote?
  • no direction information - though the camera will display it (I believe some alternatives to, which would be good for logging direction shot taken)
  • they have actually raised the price on this??? I think it was around $200+

If you really want to throw away $300 - send it to me. Alternatively give it to charity.

Alternate solutions:

• take a picture with your smart phone at every location you want to log and copy the data from the smart phone picture using View NX - smart phones use assisted GPS and are far more accurate and many (like iPhones) will have a location inside buildings etc. Even if you were using a GP-1 mounted to your camera, you will most likely not have GPS data for most images for the reasons above and will have to copy.
  • run an application on your smart phone like gps4cam
  • try an alternative product like Aokatec (around $80)- in order to be worse than the Nikon GP-1, it would have to be so incredibly poor. If it mounts on the camera like it's supposed to, it's already doing better.
Mr Fartleberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
Re: Save yourself $300
In reply to inasir1971, Sep 9, 2013

inasir1971 wrote:

The GP-1A looks pretty much like the GP-1 which I have.

Let me save you $300 - don't get it, it sucks. For $300 bucks you expect something that is sort of useful.

Cr@ppy things about the GP-1:

• needs good view of sky to get signal, slow lock
  • GPS coordinates are only recorded when the unit has a lock (i.e. anytime something blocks the sky, you have no GPS data and no location info) - e.g. it doesn't use the last known position when you enter a building
  • incredibly inconvenient - stiff cable which dwarfs the unit gets in the way of everything
  • mounting on the hot shoe means flash cannot be opened
  • while the unit has a cable to connect to a 10 pin socket, there is no way to connect a 10 pin remote to the unit - so people using 10 pin remotes are supposed to buy another remote?
  • no direction information - though the camera will display it (I believe some alternatives to, which would be good for logging direction shot taken)
  • they have actually raised the price on this??? I think it was around $200+

If you really want to throw away $300 - send it to me. Alternatively give it to charity.

Alternate solutions:

• take a picture with your smart phone at every location you want to log and copy the data from the smart phone picture using View NX - smart phones use assisted GPS and are far more accurate and many (like iPhones) will have a location inside buildings etc. Even if you were using a GP-1 mounted to your camera, you will most likely not have GPS data for most images for the reasons above and will have to copy.
  • run an application on your smart phone like gps4cam
  • try an alternative product like Aokatec (around $80)- in order to be worse than the Nikon GP-1, it would have to be so incredibly poor. If it mounts on the camera like it's supposed to, it's already doing better.

All true. I despise that wallet sucker. I bought a Nikon 100AW for GPS fixes and transfer the co-ordinates. Lot more useful than the hot shoe warmer.

New materials? That's a bit scary. Like the battery latches on the old D200/MB-100? grip?

Oh and let's not forget the price gouge. Have a look at http://www.photoprice.ca and see.

Like the insulting D800 grip price ripoff, I'd never buy these sort of Nikon accessories ever again.

-- hide signature --

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus
plan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads