Sigma 10-20 on full frame?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions
theNeverKings Regular Member • Posts: 195
Sigma 10-20 on full frame?

Hi. Has anyone used the Sigma 10-20 zoom on a full frame camera? If so, any examples?

Cheers.

james_the_first Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Sigma 10-20 on full frame?

Hmm....

if you mean the DC 10-20 then I'm not sure if its EF-S (in which case it will not fit) or whether its EF designed to accommodate only APS-c  - thus producing a limited image circle

Does anyone know if sigma DC is EF or EF-S

j

OP theNeverKings Regular Member • Posts: 195

james_the_first wrote:

Hmm....

if you mean the DC 10-20 then I'm not sure if its EF-S (in which case it will not fit) or whether its EF designed to accommodate only APS-c  - thus producing a limited image circle

j

Hi.

I'm not sure about Canon's nomenclature (haven't used THAT word for a while!) since I use Nikon gear. The lens in question is for a APS-C format camera. I do seem to recall that some of the wide zooms can be used on full frame cameras over the longer end of the zoom range.

Cheers?

mgrum Contributing Member • Posts: 741

Canon is the only manufacturer to use the EF-S mount, all third party lenses, even those designed for APS-C sensors use the EF mount, meaning there is enough mirror clearance when mounted on full frame cameras, although the lens wont illuminate the whole of the sensor.

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,007
Wow...!

theNeverKings wrote:

james_the_first wrote:

Hmm....

j

Hi.

I'm not sure about Canon's nomenclature (haven't used THAT word for a while!) since I use Nikon gear. The lens in question is for a APS-C format camera. I do seem to recall that some of the wide zooms can be used on full frame cameras over the longer end of the zoom range.

Cheers?

...New record:

A Nikon user replying in Canon full-frame forum to a question about a Sigma APS-C lens.

...Talk about irrelevance...

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

qikpik Junior Member • Posts: 36

10-20 f/3.5 is useable till about 13mm (with some vignetting). Below this a rectangular black border will appear. Here's a sample picture with the 10-20mm f/3.5 on a 5D M II at ISO 200, 12mm, f/3.5, 1/13s.

Also, I see your post has 3 negative votes at this time. WHY?!!! It is a perfectly valid post and does not claim the D800 is way better than 5D Mark III or whatever crap that roils up fanboys!. Some folks here are just plain stupid!

Rodrigo Cunha Contributing Member • Posts: 701

I've tested my Sigma-SA mount version on the SA-9 film camera, and while it works the vignetting is just too big. But of course you can crop the photo, it's just not very practical. Get the 12-24 instead.

Thank you.

qikpik wrote:

10-20 f/3.5 is useable till about 13mm (with some vignetting). Below this a rectangular black border will appear. Here's a sample picture with the 10-20mm f/3.5 on a 5D M II at ISO 200, 12mm, f/3.5, 1/13s.

Thank you for taking the time to post the wonderful example. I do recall reading that the lens could be used over a limited range on "full frame" cameras. Unfortunately that was some time ago and I could not find the relevant site after a brief search.

I'm contemplating purchasing the D600 at some point in time, and whilst most of my lenses are FX, the Sigma 10-20 is the only wide lens I possess.

Also, I see your post has 3 negative votes at this time. WHY?!!!It is a perfectly valid post and does not claim the D800 is way better than 5D Mark III or whatever crap that roils up fanboys!. Some folks here are just plain stupid!

Yes, it's been very interesting to watch the pattern of negative votes on a variety of seemingly innocuous and valid questions/posts. An unfortunate insight into some human behaviour.

It  seemed logical to cross post in the other (Canon) full frame forum since Sigma make the lens in a Canon mount. And being a Nikon user, I do admit to being ignorant with regards to any mount differences between Canon bodies.

I find it difficult to comprehend the acrimony experienced by some people with regards to various brands of equipment (and not just cameras). We are very fortunate to have such a wide and wonderful array of gear to choose from. It's all good.

Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Cheers.

peteguy New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Thank you.

I have a D600 and am just now discovering it's use with the Sigma 10-20 DC after using it with a D300.  When set to Auto DX Crop in Image Area of the Shooting Menu on the D600, it is supposed to generate a DX sized image automatically if you use a DX lens, but when used with the 10-20 it creates a full FX image without any cropping.  As others have indicated, the vignetting begins when you get down to about 13mm.  Hope this helps.

theNeverKings wrote:

qikpik wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to post the wonderful example. I do recall reading that the lens could be used over a limited range on "full frame" cameras. Unfortunately that was some time ago and I could not find the relevant site after a brief search.

I'm contemplating purchasing the D600 at some point in time, and whilst most of my lenses are FX, the Sigma 10-20 is the only wide lens I possess.

ricleo Regular Member • Posts: 343
take a look at this link

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=909337&highlight=sigma+10-20+5d+1.4x

will work on a full frame as a 14-28mm lens when you attach a 1.4x convertor.

no vignetting issues, but you lose a stop of light.

ricleo's gear list:ricleo's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +9 more
Craig76 Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: Wow...!

He was trying to help answer the question and had some relevant information to contribute. Why have you got a problem with that?

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/cpilecky

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,883
true, but...

ricleo wrote:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=909337&highlight=sigma+10-20+5d+1.4x

will work on a full frame as a 14-28mm lens when you attach a 1.4x convertor.

no vignetting issues, but you lose a stop of light.

Not only do you lose light, you lose width too. And resolution.

So... without mounting the 1.4x TC you get sharper images, without vignetting. In the 14-20mm focal range.

With the 1.4x TC... you get a 14-28mm lens with less sharp images (due to the TC crop), a stop less aperture, and more barrel distortion.

Seems to me the TC is undesirable....

Craig76 Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: true, but...

I've been reading through the thread in that link and looking at the examples. Its rather counter intuitive but it does seem that you get a wider field of view and better image quality WITH the 1.4 TC.

To quote one of the posters in that thread "The TC's front element is closer to the rear element of the 10-20 than a sensor would be, so it seems to be collecting more of the image circle than even visible on the FF+noTC example above, and magnifying it up to FF."

I recently bought the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 and love it. I plan to move up to FF in a year or two and this discovery makes me even happier that I bought that lens!

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/cpilecky

Question Answered. Cheers.

Hi.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. You've confirmed what I had read elsewhere.

Thanks again.

kyjy Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: Sigma 10-20 on full frame? - YES

I tried it out some years back.  The DC lenses all fit on full frame bodies - they don't protrude further like EF-S lenses.  The only issue is vignetting and image circle.  If I remember, the image circle was smaller than the frame from 14mm down.  At 17mm the worst vignetting was gone.

The image below is pretty bad, I was never going to publish it, but kept it around as a reference.  It was taken with a film body, so I don't have the exif, but I think it was 14 or 15mm.  The lens was the 10-20mm f/4-5.6.

ShammyD New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks for the great answer. I'm switching from Canon Rebel to Mark III, and I can't afford all new lenses. It will be great I'd i can continue to use the Sigma 10-20mm for a while longer, because I really like it. Your was the only answer that really fit my question completely.

ShammyD's gear list:ShammyD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Sony a7 II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +8 more
Towandan New Member • Posts: 1

Hi, I just got the 5D mark 3. I own a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
This lens obviously make a vignette on the photo when shooting at 10 mm (can get rid of it when shooting at 15mm) cause it's not compatible with full frame sensors. Anyway, I read on some posts that the EF S lenses can break the mirror of full frame cameras. Does this Sigma lens work like an EF S lens? Will it break my 5D camera's mirror or will it just give a vignette but not break it? So, are these mounts compatible or not?
Thanks in advance!

The1willy Forum Member • Posts: 92

I know it's not a fantastic shot but this was taken with a 5D + sigma 10-20 (f4-5.6) (at 14mm according to EXIF)

I used a cheap Kenko 1.4 tc. Evidently I've processed it a bit, but it should give you an idea.

And another, this time unprocessed (hence all the dust spots and terrible blown highlights :-O)

But again, shows that it works - with the kenko 1.4 TC

If you don't use a tc, you can still use the lens... but you get a black border.

I hope this helps

The1willy's gear list:The1willy's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads