Defective viewfinder?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Questions
jamesbm
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Defective viewfinder?
Oct 16, 2012

Hi

I recently bought a FDA-EV1S viewfinder for my NEX 5N. It was supposedly "new" but had no seal on the box, didn't come sealed in the packaging (its plastic bag inside the box was already open), and there was no plastic protector on the screen.
There is also a glue like residue round the edge of the viewfinder screen that I cannot remove. This is particularly obvious in the corners.

Can any other FDA-EV1S users tell me: does this read like a customer return or is this normal..?

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
kapanak
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Defective viewfinder?
In reply to jamesbm, Oct 16, 2012

Return it ASAP.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581Gear list
Like?

That does not sound good at all. I read that sometimes the little plastic frame at the front of the viewfinder breaks and then you cannot put it back on - for me this sounds as if someone broke the viewfinder, glued the frame back to hide that it is broken and sent it back.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
jamesbm
Like?
In reply to Dirk W, Oct 16, 2012

Defective NEX FDA-EV1S

Thanks - the eye piece removes and reattaches fine - it is the ring of "glue" visible around the entire edge of the viewfinder screen that is alarming. Guess it is going back

kapanak
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

jamesbm wrote:

Defective NEX FDA-EV1S

Thanks - the eye piece removes and reattaches fine - it is the ring of "glue" visible around the entire edge of the viewfinder screen that is alarming. Guess it is going back

Just inspected my own EVF. Does not have that halo of haze.

There are two possible causes for that haze. One, something was glued externally, causing its gases to escape under the viewfinder lens. Two, something internally has either popped or been exposed to heat and released such gasses. It could just be water vapour, but it is definitely NOT normal. So get your refund, and if you can, buy from a legit dealer (B&H, Adorama, Sony's own site) even if it costs a little more. The price is down below $250 now, so definitely not as big a bite to buy it at full price from a reputable dealer.

jamesbm
Like?
In reply to kapanak, Oct 16, 2012

kapanak wrote:

jamesbm wrote:

There are two possible causes for that haze. One, something was glued externally, causing its gases to escape under the viewfinder lens. Two, something internally has either popped or been exposed to heat and released such gasses. It could just be water vapour, but it is definitely NOT normal. So get your refund, and if you can, buy from a legit dealer (B&H, Adorama, Sony's own site) even if it costs a little more. The price is down below $250 now, so definitely not as big a bite to buy it at full price from a reputable dealer.

This actually came from Amazon.. and it is going back tomorrow morning..
Is the price drop because of the imminent arrival of the NEX6?

Helen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,039
Like?

jamesbm wrote:

kapanak wrote:

jamesbm wrote:

Are you in the UK or US?  Was the EVF actually sold by Amazon itself or by an independent trader using Amazon?  I ask because in my experience Amazon (UK in my case) is one of the few retailers I've always been confident of NOT receiving a customer return from when I purchase an item new, and it would be very disturbing if that changed.

jamesbm
Like?
In reply to Helen, Oct 16, 2012

Are you in the UK or US?  Was the EVF actually sold by Amazon itself or by an independent trader using Amazon?  I ask because in my experience Amazon (UK in my case) is one of the few retailers I've always been confident of NOT receiving a customer return from when I purchase an item new, and it would be very disturbing if that changed.

Hi Helen,

The supplier was Amazon UK (not a marketplace seller). I have had other non-electronic items that were simmilarly defective previously, but Amazon customer care and returns policy has always been excellent. So fingers crossed..

Thanks

James

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads