Lightroom Lens Profiles for Olympus Lenses

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions
saisrujan
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Lightroom Lens Profiles for Olympus Lenses
Oct 15, 2012

Hello!

I've been a forum member since 2009 but haven'e been participating much. I've moved from a D90 setup to Olympus - sold all my gear and got myself an OM-D E-M5 with the kit 12-50 and 75-300. The results are great and I attribute my decision to a lot of 'passive' research on this forum. Thank you all for that.

The only thing that's bothering me now is the distortion at the wide-end of the 12-50, when shot in RAW. LR doesn't have the lens profile. I've installed the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, but it didn't have any matching profiles. I've looked around on the internet, but didn't find any.

The reason I'm looking for help from the community is because the distortion, sometimes, is complicated and I'm not happy with my manual corrections, the results always look a little off. And without good straight-line references, it becomes even more difficult.

Have any of you developed a lens profile for the two lenses above? I'd really appreciate it if you can share them.

Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,663Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom Lens Profiles for Olympus Lenses
In reply to saisrujan, Oct 15, 2012

One option is to correct the lens distortion in Olympus Viewer.  It has auto correction and recognizes this lens.  Save the image and then edit in your selected program.  Adobe does not treat Olympus images as well as Viewer does, but it is much more versatile.  Viewer came with the OMD and the newest version is available for download if you were not aware of this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
saisrujan
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, Oct 15, 2012

19andrew47 wrote:

One option is to correct the lens distortion in Olympus Viewer.  It has auto correction and recognizes this lens.  Save the image and then edit in your selected program.  Adobe does not treat Olympus images as well as Viewer does, but it is much more versatile.  Viewer came with the OMD and the newest version is available for download if you were not aware of this.

Never tried the viewer. I will give that a shot. Still, the workflow's a lot easier if I can get this done in LR. So, let's see.

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,048Gear list
Like?

saisrujan wrote:

Hello!

I've been a forum member since 2009 but haven'e been participating much. I've moved from a D90 setup to Olympus - sold all my gear and got myself an OM-D E-M5 with the kit 12-50 and 75-300. The results are great and I attribute my decision to a lot of 'passive' research on this forum. Thank you all for that.

The only thing that's bothering me now is the distortion at the wide-end of the 12-50, when shot in RAW. LR doesn't have the lens profile. I've installed the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader, but it didn't have any matching profiles. I've looked around on the internet, but didn't find any.

The reason I'm looking for help from the community is because the distortion, sometimes, is complicated and I'm not happy with my manual corrections, the results always look a little off. And without good straight-line references, it becomes even more difficult.

Have any of you developed a lens profile for the two lenses above? I'd really appreciate it if you can share them.

LR doesn't need lens profiles to correct distortion for MFT lenses. The correction instructions are embedded in the RAW files themselves. I don't have the 12-50, but LR automatically corrects the distortion on all my other MFT lenses without problem.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
OldDigiman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?

All m4/3 raw files have lens data embedded in the files.  LR reads the data an applies corrections, there are no "external" profiles such as with the usual DSLR lenses.  However, per Eric Chan of Adobe, the correction applied by LR is on the conservative side.  You can use the Adobe Lens Profile software to create a external profile that will modify the baked-in corrections.  Alternatively, you could tweak the correction for a given focal length and save it as a preset in LR.

-- hide signature --

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,532Gear list
Like?
In reply to saisrujan, Oct 16, 2012

saisrujan wrote:

19andrew47 wrote:

Never tried the viewer. I will give that a shot. Still, the workflow's a lot easier if I can get this done in LR. So, let's see.

I'm curious as to what sort of subject you're addressing, as I find LR pretty good in this area (though some extreme cases call for extreme measures).   Though, it took some patient practice initially to make it relatively quick work as I do now.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Oct 16, 2012

New to my OMD I was a little confused at first that LR4 had no lens corrections for oly lenses but as I couldn´t see any distorsion or CA or light falloff I simply thought my lenses were superb in those respects and didn't need correction, but now I know better...No, to be honest, I guessed there was some "invisible" correction in LR and now I know that this is the fact. Is this true for all m43 lenses?

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to MatsP, Oct 16, 2012

MatsP wrote:

New to my OMD I was a little confused at first that LR4 had no lens corrections for oly lenses but as I couldn´t see any distorsion or CA or light falloff I simply thought my lenses were superb in those respects and didn't need correction, but now I know better...No, to be honest, I guessed there was some "invisible" correction in LR and now I know that this is the fact. Is this true for all m43 lenses?

Hej Mats och välkommen till forumet!

Distortion is generally auto-corrected for all MFT lenses although a few of them (at longer FLs) have so little distortion that hardly any correction is needed. Lateral CA is auto-corrected only for Panasonic lenses when used on a Panasonic body. Longitudinal CA is not auto-corrected. Vignetting is not auto-corrected either except as a by-product of distortion correction (which in the case of barrel distortion moves the extreme corners out of the frame). However, some MFT cameras (e.g., the E-M5 and the GX1) have an option for so-called shading compensation, which, if enabled, corrects the RAW files for vignetting (at the expense of increased noise towards the edges). While the correction for distortion and lateral CA take the form of an instruction to the RAW converter embedded in the RAW file, the shading compensation option changes the RAW data values themselves.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?
In reply to MatsP, Oct 16, 2012

MatsP wrote:

It is the case for all micro 4/3 lenses. Only Panasonic cameras provide CA correction data, but the lack of CA correction by Olympus cameras is a moot point if using Lightroom 4 - it applies CA correction automatically to any lens on any camera as long as you enable the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" option on the "Color" tab in the "Lens Corrections" section.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Oct 16, 2012

I've been tinkering with Lightroom. It seems to me that it corrects distortion whether I click the "Turn on lens corrections" button or not. That's annoying because for most images it is IMHO unnecessary to correct for distortion and it actually makes corner resolution worse.

On the other hand, if I turn off lens correction entirely, I also turn off chromatic aberration removal, which is a much more useful tool.

I came to these conclusions by editing the same images in Aftershot Pro, where obvious distortion is corrected if and only if I click the "Enable correction" button.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Ulric
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Oct 16, 2012

Oh, and one other thing: surely not all m43 lenses do the automagic correction trick, right? I'm thinking of the completely manual Voigtländer lenses, for example.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
John Bean (UK)
Like?

Yes. The geometric corrections are always applied from data embedded in the file, it is not a user-selectable option. Other things like CA may also be, depending on the camera. Everything else that is done by LR itself (like CA on a non-Panasonic camera, for example) can be turned on or off as required.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John Bean (UK)
Like?

Ulric wrote:

Oh, and one other thing: surely not all m43 lenses do the automagic correction trick, right? I'm thinking of the completely manual Voigtländer lenses, for example.

The CV lenses are completely unknown to the camera, just like any "legacy" lens on an adapter.

They may have been designed to fit a micro 4/3 camera without adapters but they are not native system lenses in the sense they do not conform to the micro 4/3 standard for communication with the body.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

Ulric
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Oct 16, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Yes. The geometric corrections are always applied from data embedded in the file, it is not a user-selectable option. Other things like CA may also be, depending on the camera. Everything else that is done by LR itself (like CA on a non-Panasonic camera, for example) can be turned on or off as required.

So there is no way to get the uncorrected image in Lightroom? Interesting.

Michele Cocci
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

Anders W wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Distortion is generally auto-corrected for all MFT lenses although a few of them (at longer FLs) have so little distortion that hardly any correction is needed. Lateral CA is auto-corrected only for Panasonic lenses when used on a Panasonic body. Longitudinal CA is not auto-corrected. Vignetting is not auto-corrected either except as a by-product of distortion correction (which in the case of barrel distortion moves the extreme corners out of the frame). However, some MFT cameras (e.g., the E-M5 and the GX1) have an option for so-called shading compensation, which, if enabled, corrects the RAW files for vignetting (at the expense of increased noise towards the edges). While the correction for distortion and lateral CA take the form of an instruction to the RAW converter embedded in the RAW file, the shading compensation option changes the RAW data values themselves.

Hi Anders, some time ago you wrote: "The OM-D has an option for shading compensation which corrects for vignetting but this will apply to OOC jpegs only".

So, what's the truth? E-M5 "shading compensation" applies to OOC JPGs only, or it changes RAW data?

I enabled this option, but if it affects RAW file too, i'll disable it.

cosmoxl
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?
a profile will help!
In reply to saisrujan, Oct 16, 2012

contrary to what many are saying, profiles made with the adobe lens profile creator or downloaded with their lens profile downloader will help you!

for example, check out this thread with quick tests I did with the micro 9-18 lens.  the profile available with the adobe lens profile downloader does a great job of fully correcting for distortion and vignetting.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42067580

cosmoxl's gear list:cosmoxl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Anders W
Like?
In reply to Michele Cocci, Oct 16, 2012

Michele Cocci wrote:

Anders W wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Hi Anders, some time ago you wrote: "The OM-D has an option for shading compensation which corrects for vignetting but this will apply to OOC jpegs only".

Did I? Can't remember that. What I might have said is that I had been told by other people here that the shading compensation option on earlier Oly bodies affected OOC jpegs only. Since I have no personal experience with these models, I can't tell for sure whether that's correct or not.

So, what's the truth? E-M5 "shading compensation" applies to OOC JPGs only, or it changes RAW data?

With respect to the E-M5 it is definitely the case that the shading compensation affects the RAWs, not only the OOC jpegs. I tested how it worked shortly after I bought the camera and reported my observations in the thread to which I link below.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3255277

As you can see, there were some problems getting this feature to work with Pany lenses, at least with the firmware I had at that point (1.1.). Don't know if anything has changed in this regard in FW 1.5.

I enabled this option, but if it affects RAW file too, i'll disable it.

Yes, for a variety of reasons, spelled out in the thread I link to, I decided against using it too.

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,392Gear list
Like?
Yes it's automatic, but it's not perfect.

The correction data for the Olympus 12-50 is not perfect. At the wide end the lens shows more barrel distortion than the correction data tell the RAW converter to correct for, so some additional (like +5) additional barrel distortion correction needs to be dialed in. (I use CS6 with ACR, not LR)

The correction is typically good enough but when you have a straight vertical line near the edge of the image you can see that some barrel distortion is left. So for most pictures I do not apply extra correction but occasionally it is too visible to leave it without correction.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Anders W
Like?
Re: Yes it's automatic, but it's not perfect.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Oct 16, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

The correction data for the Olympus 12-50 is not perfect. At the wide end the lens shows more barrel distortion than the correction data tell the RAW converter to correct for, so some additional (like +5) additional barrel distortion correction needs to be dialed in. (I use CS6 with ACR, not LR)

The correction is typically good enough but when you have a straight vertical line near the edge of the image you can see that some barrel distortion is left. So for most pictures I do not apply extra correction but occasionally it is too visible to leave it without correction.

OK. I now see when I check the Lenstip review that the 12-50 leaves as much as 2.25 % barrel distortion after correction, which is certainly enough to be noticeable in cases like the one you describe. Can't remember seeing such a high figure after correction for any MFT lens. As a rule, they are corrected to a value of about 1 % or less. But in this particular case, it might be a good idea to add an LR profile in order to reach that neighborhood.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?

Ulric wrote:

John Bean (UK) wrote:

So there is no way to get the uncorrected image in Lightroom? Interesting.

I think that there is a plugin named "recover edges" that would do that, but I'm not 100% sure of that; it is able to recover the whole 4:3 format, even if you had chosen 3:2 or 16:9 at the time of shooting and I seem to remember that it will also deliver the uncorrected picture. It is an Adobe plugin and can be downloaded here :

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomplugins/

there is another plugin available there which seems to correct vignetting or something  restituting a "flat view " (?)

Here are instruction on how to install it

-- hide signature --

--
rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads