SX50 UV filter...what are the options?

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions
dc19
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
SX50 UV filter...what are the options?
Oct 15, 2012

I'm eager to get the SX50 but would like to know the ways of adding a UV filter. It looks like Canon sells FA-DC67A adapter which will take 67mm filters but I would like to go with a 58mm direct mount. Is it possible? I read in another thread that somebody bought a "AR" ring adapter from amazon.com but hasn't specified the name of the brand or a URL link to the product on amazon.com.

Please advise.

dc19
Like?
Re: SX50 UV filter...what are the options?
In reply to dc19, Oct 16, 2012

Anybody?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?

One option is to not use a UV filter.  I have tried both ways and find that it is best to go with a good petal type lens hood and a good lens cap.  Just my preference.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,510Gear list
Like?

dc19 wrote:

Anybody?

What do you need it for?  Digital sensors don't need UV filters in front of the lens.

dc19
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Oct 16, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

dc19 wrote:

Anybody?

What do you need it for?  Digital sensors don't need UV filters in front of the lens.

As a lens protector. I don't want any thumb impressions or any dust to scratch the lens.

Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?

I'm using the Canon FA-2DC67A filter adapter with a Hoya 67mm DMC Pro 1 Clear Protector. Have had no problems at all. The Hoya glass is so clean and clear that when I removed the adapter/filter combination to take some comparison shots with and without the filter, I almost put my finger through the filter because I couldn't see it! Seriously. It was still attached to the adapter, and when I went to pick up the adapter to put it back on the camera I tried to grasp it right through the filter. Of course then I got all concerned that my fingernail may have scratched the filter, but there was not even a smudge.

Bev

Bev's gear list:Bev's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,510Gear list
Like?

dc19 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

dc19 wrote:

Anybody?

As a lens protector. I don't want any thumb impressions or any dust to scratch the lens.

Take a previous suggestion and use a lens hood instead (or be more careful with your thumb!).  You run the risk of lens flare with a UV filter.

cheaspeake
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
In reply to Bev, Oct 16, 2012

On my SX 40 I use the Lensmate filter adapter 58mm and a B + W  UV haze filter (58mm).  It works great and protects the lens.

hannenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to cheaspeake, Oct 16, 2012

I use the same adapter on my SX40 as well.  I frequently use a polarizing filter.  It adds a nice bit of contrast to outdoor shots.

Personally I like to have some sort of protective filter.  I have had no issues with lens flare.

dc19
Like?
In reply to hannenberg, Oct 16, 2012

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Which one is better? Buying the FA-DC67A adapter and attaching a 67mm UV filter or getting a 58mm?. Will Lensmate filter adapter designed for SX40 work for SX50 too?. I wouldn't be taking out the 58mm or 67mm UV filter once I snap it in. It will stay permanently.

Please advise.

dc19
Like?
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?
In reply to dc19, Oct 17, 2012

dc19 wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Which one is better? Buying the FA-DC67A adapter and attaching a 67mm UV filter or getting a 58mm?

What propelled my decision to go with the adapter and filter on my SX50 was that Canon itself recommends 67mm filters for the SX50. I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I didn't want to buy a 58mm filter and find out that it causes vignetting or flare or something.

The downside is that the lens hood will not fit on the adapter. Of course it may not fit on a 58mm filter, either.

Bev

Bev's gear list:Bev's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Alexanderc
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Bev, Oct 18, 2012

Bev wrote:

dc19 wrote:

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Which one is better? Buying the FA-DC67A adapter and attaching a 67mm UV filter or getting a 58mm?

What propelled my decision to go with the adapter and filter on my SX50 was that Canon itself recommends 67mm filters for the SX50. I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I didn't want to buy a 58mm filter and find out that it causes vignetting or flare or something.

The downside is that the lens hood will not fit on the adapter. Of course it may not fit on a 58mm filter, either.

Bev

I am in a similar position. Just received the SX50HS and really want to use a filter for lens protection but I would also like to use a Canon lens hood  LH-DC60.

I really don't understand how a camera can be designed in a way that a filter AND lens hood can't be attached.

If this really doesn't work what do you guys suggest ist more important filter or hood?

Thanks guys

hannenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to Alexanderc, Oct 18, 2012

I have the SX40 and always use a filter.  I've never had problems for lack of a hood.  I think a UV filter makes sense for basic protection, but I often use a polarizing filter as well.   If love the extra clarity and contrast it adds to outdoor shots.

RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to dc19, Oct 18, 2012

As I've said in other threads, I used a 58mm Lensmate adapter on my SX40 with both UV and polarizing filters, but switched to the Canon 67mm adapter when, despite the manufacture's claims to the contrary, I discovered vignetting at 24mm when using the polarizer. No such problems with the 67mm filters, which are only about 5/8" wider (but more expensive).

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

Alexanderc
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 19, 2012

Just fitted the adapter ring and a UV filter - great BUT now the lens cap is too small and of course doesn't fit anymore.

Although the filter does give the lens some protection I hate the idea of not having a lens cap.

Any ideas very much welcomed.

thanks

Alexander

RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alexanderc, Oct 19, 2012

Alexanderc wrote:

Just fitted the adapter ring and a UV filter - great BUT now the lens cap is too small and of course doesn't fit anymore.

Although the filter does give the lens some protection I hate the idea of not having a lens cap.

Any ideas very much welcomed.

thanks

Alexander

Idea: Buy a 67mm lens cap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009PZX6/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

mingleby
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 26, 2012

I had exactly the same issues with my SX40 - vignetting at wide-angle when using the Lensmate adaptor with a Hoya C-PL filter.

I was not happy! I'm considering the Canon 67mm adaptor too, even though it looks a bit big and ugly hanging off the end of the lens...

Why the hell canon don't make the lens-barrel a 'standard' size and incorporate a 'standard' screw-thread is one of life's mysteries...

Mike.

Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,322
Like?
In reply to dc19, Oct 26, 2012

dc19 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

dc19 wrote:

Anybody?

What do you need it for? Digital sensors don't need UV filters in front of the lens.

I agree.  My S3 has had a UV filter on it from day one to protect it against dust and fingerprints and to help protect the lens in case of a fall.  I have the filter and a Lensmate adapter on it.  That poor camera has come face to face with tile floors and concrete at least 12 times in 6 years and is still taking great pictures.  I give a lot of the credit to the filter and adapter.

-- hide signature --

Monica/Canon S3

bdubd
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Oct 26, 2012

Seem's to me once I had the same concern with my Panny 150 . Did a lot of research & ended up with a Nikon clear filter/lens protector as I recall it worked well. I think in the reviews it had the best optical clarity/light transmission. I can't find it, I'm so well organized.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads