Disappointed in Beach Camera - 24-70 II topic

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions
Johnwill
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: I am going to presume that you are an adult in age at least
In reply to Rick Knepper, Oct 17, 2012

Rick Knepper wrote:

Most adults do not presume to give unsolicited life advice to other adults. But, it's one of the worst characteristics of this forum. Seems to draw the most immature folks on the 'net.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

If you don't want such advice then maybe you should not post such open ended blah blah blah posts as you did originally. If you are so sensitive, stay off the forums. You are lucky his advice was so gentle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,938Gear list
Like?
Re: At least it is cheaper at Amazon than on Beach Camera's own website
In reply to meland, Oct 17, 2012

meland wrote:

bellevilleguy wrote:

I've notice a few retailers trying to gouge people for this lens!!

Retailers are businesses not charities.  I don't know what you do for a living Derek but whatever it is I doubt you would give a discount unnecessarily, or voluntarily put yourself forward for less salary?

He's referring to the one's who are marking the lens up over MSRP.  While I don't have a problem with them trying to take advantage of the supply situation, I see no reason to pay those surcharges, either.  The lens is overpriced as it is at $2299.  To pay $2699 or $2999 for it is insane.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?
Re: FYI - Just found the 24-70 II on eBay from Adorama...

Enjoy your new lens.

I got mine yesterday.  Only had a chance to do some preliminary testing, but so far so good.  Appears to be sharp accross the frame at f/2.8 at all focal lenghts.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
In reply to billythek, Oct 17, 2012

billythek wrote:

The lens is overpriced as it is at $2299.  To pay $2699 or $2999 for it is insane.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Canon has gotten people accustomed to high prices recently. People are screaming 'firesale' when the 5D3 goes for less than $3000. Pretty soon, any 'L' lens under $2000 would be considered a steal.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Ken Sarno
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: Disappointed in Beach Camera - 24-70 II topic

Over the past weekend I replied "Thank You" to the original post in the following thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50059333

It listed a link to Beach Camera's web site, and gave a promo code of "Beachtoberfest30" for $30 off.

I immediately followed that link and ordered a 24-70 ii that is now in Fed Ex's hands somewhere in indiana and will arrive on the west coast tomorrow Thursday.

The price I paid Beach Camera was 2299 - 30 = 2269. I paid $15.00 for expedited shipping, bringing the total to about $2284.

On this thread: when I responded "Me Too" (NT) to the poster who said he bought one for $2299 on Beach Camera's ebay store over the weekend, perhaps I should have been more clear...I was only responding to the 'Beach Camera' part of his post, not the ebay part. I did in fact purchase a 24-70 f2.8l ii brand new for slightly less than $2299 on Saturday October 13 from Beach Camera's web site. They shipped it on Monday 10/15.

The link in the original post (the one about the "Beachtoberfest" promo code) still seems to be good and still leads to the same page where the lens is in stock...only now the price shown is $2899.

This is a screen-grab taken a few minutes ago from my Beach Camera account page. The image is quite small but legible...you may have to zoom it. Note that the promo code is acknowledged in red.

Beach Camera is definitely messing with the price; but they were also definitely selling this lens for $2299 on this past Saturday.

-- hide signature --

Ken S.

Ken Sarno's gear list:Ken Sarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
bellevilleguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Like?
In reply to meland, Oct 17, 2012

meland wrote:

bellevilleguy wrote:

Retailers are businesses not charities.  I don't know what you do for a living Derek but whatever it is I doubt you would give a discount unnecessarily, or voluntarily put yourself forward for less salary?

My statement has nothing to do with wanting any discounts??  I have a problem with those jacking the price up and over Canon's MRSP by large amounts because the supply is low.  I have seen some stores wanting as much as $500 over the know MRSP prices..  That is just wrong..  Unfortunately there are those that will pay it and they take advantage of it!

Derek

-- hide signature --
bellevilleguy
Like?

billythek wrote:

meland wrote:

bellevilleguy wrote:

He's referring to the one's who are marking the lens up over MSRP.  While I don't have a problem with them trying to take advantage of the supply situation, I see no reason to pay those surcharges, either.  The lens is overpriced as it is at $2299.  To pay $2699 or $2999 for it is insane.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Thanks Bill...  That is exactly what I was referring too!!  Could not have said it any better!

Derek

-- hide signature --
bellevilleguy
Like?

billythek wrote:

bellevilleguy wrote:

I've notice a few retailers trying to gouge people for this lens!!  My advice is too wait for the market to be flooded with them and every retailer has stock....  Then the price will fall....

You may have to wait awhile - the demand is very high for this lens.  I don't think there will be a lot of surplus stock until after Christmas.  That said, I don't think anyone should even think about paying more than $2299 for this lens, unless they are under a hard deadline.  Just watch the forum and act quickly when some store has it in stock.

The shock of paying that much for a lens will wear off, eventually, I hope.
- Bill

It certainly is an awful price for that lens....  After having a crappy first version, I think I will pass on this one!  LOL!  My wording about waiting for the market to be flooded probably isn't the best, as I can remember the previous version never really that that status!  It seem it was always sold out...

Derek

-- hide signature --
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,538Gear list
Like?
In reply to DerStig, Oct 18, 2012

DerStig wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

DerStig wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

I received the following alert from Amazon after 7 months of waiting: Your Amazon Alerts Availability Alert
We're happy to let you know that the item you requested is now available to order from Amazon.com.
Camera & PhotoCanon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens
Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Beach Camera.Price: $2,699.00

I believe in free enterprise and I know there is nothing inherently wrong with this pricing but still doesn't stop me from being disappointed. I mean, $2299 is still the going street price right? I've been out of town the past week and I am not fully up on my DPR & Canon Rumors reading.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

It is just a lens, I don't see what the big deal is. Do you have to have it right away? Just wait 1-2 more months and don't be like a lot of impulse buyers out there who make companies like beach camera rich. An average customer that a wedding photographer deals with (and I mean 99% of them), won't be able to tell the difference between this zoom lens shot at a FL vs. the old one or vs. one of the prime lenses. And this is relevant only if you actually get paid for photography. I'm sure you have some other lens that you can use in the meantime.

Most adults do not presume to give unsolicited life advice to other adults. But, it's one of the worst characteristics of this forum. Seems to draw the most immature folks on the 'net.

-- hide signature --

I'm sorry, I know my comment is one that'd annoy a lot of photographers, but you do know I'm right. Your eyes might be able to tell the difference between a $3,000 zoom lens and a $1,500 one, but the people who attend the events that you shoot will most likely not be as picky. All I'm saying is, the difference between the old version and the new version is not so drastic that you'd get ripped off by paying a 30-40% premium on an already over-priced lens. And even if you have to have the greatest lens, Canon offers a wide range of primes that will cover the FL for the same price. You can buy a 24L II and a 50L and be done with it and sell them in 2 months time and grab the 24-70 II when the price goes back to normal.

You seem very confused. About me, about the lens, about the contents of this thread and about the events that have transpired since the thread started. I am happy as a lark now.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3X Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Rick Knepper
Like?
In reply to Johnwill, Oct 18, 2012

Johnwill wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

-- hide signature --

If you don't want such advice then maybe you should not post such open ended blah blah blah posts as you did originally. If you are so sensitive, stay off the forums. You are lucky his advice was so gentle.

Like most people, I don't want unsolicited advice especially from morons. (Not talking about DerStig here Johnwill). Your posting history, with your infrequent posts and one line insults and passive/agressive behaviour, suggests that you are a bit of a troll.

Besides, I hunted down the cause of your anger.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42657316

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3X Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Techblast
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: In stock at Newegg
In reply to Techblast, Oct 21, 2012

Ordered my copy from Newegg on Monday at 1pm for $2299 received on Thursday afternoon. I just checked again and they show out of stock.

Rick Knepper
Like?
Re: FYI - Just found the 24-70 II on eBay from Adorama...
In reply to bhollis, Oct 22, 2012

bhollis wrote:

Enjoy your new lens.

I got mine yesterday.  Only had a chance to do some preliminary testing, but so far so good.  Appears to be sharp accross the frame at f/2.8 at all focal lenghts.

What this says to me is that I can use f2.8 (and certainly down to f5.6) exclusively for my landscape shooting without the need to stop down just to cure corner softness. DoF can be used for...well, DoF.

-- hide signature --

Johnwill
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Oct 22, 2012

Rick Knepper wrote:

Johnwill wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

-- hide signature --

Like most people, I don't want unsolicited advice especially from morons. (Not talking about DerStig here Johnwill). Your posting history, with your infrequent posts and one line insults and passive/agressive behaviour, suggests that you are a bit of a troll.

Besides, I hunted down the cause of your anger.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42657316

-- hide signature --

You are not too sharp are you?  You seem to not know much about photography. Life has thrown you a curve (with the deficiencies you have) and you are just taking it out on others, who are superior to you. Thanks.

onechobeach
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
At least you are not paying UK prices
In reply to Rick Knepper, Oct 22, 2012

I am assuming the prices on this forum exclude any state or city sales tax.

Otherwise the price is considerably lower than the UK retail price which at today's exchange rate comes in at $3450 dollars.

OUCH

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,938Gear list
Like?
Re: At least you are not paying UK prices
In reply to onechobeach, Oct 22, 2012

onechobeach wrote:

Otherwise the price is considerably lower than the UK retail price which at today's exchange rate comes in at $3450 dollars.

OUCH

Yeah, that is pretty insane.  But you have better health care, right?

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Rick Knepper
Like?
Re: At least you are not paying UK prices
In reply to onechobeach, Oct 22, 2012

onechobeach wrote:

OUCH

I am sorry about that. Does this price include VAT?

I used to buy recording equipment (particularly microphones) from a retailer in Germany and I didn't have to pay VAT. Also, the exchange rate was going my way at the time and though I paid more for shipping, I picked up some amazing deals on Neumann microphones particularly the Neumann U87.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads