Canon 24-105 f4.0 L Error 01

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Questions
VijG
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon 24-105 f4.0 L Error 01
Oct 14, 2012

Hi, my 2 year old Canon 24-105 f4.0 L started giving trouble yesterday. Abnormal sound and shutter movement followed by Error 01 message displayed on the display. "Error 01 , communication between camera and lens faulty. Clean lens contact" was what displayed. I cleaned the contacts but again the problem persisted at certain f stops and zoom. I tried with other lenses and camera was working fine. Does anybody has had the same problem? If yes then what will the possible solution will be.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
JohnMatrix
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
A common fault
In reply to VijG, Oct 14, 2012

VijG wrote:

Hi, my 2 year old Canon 24-105 f4.0 L started giving trouble yesterday. Abnormal sound and shutter movement followed by Error 01 message displayed on the display. "Error 01 , communication between camera and lens faulty. Clean lens contact" was what displayed. I cleaned the contacts but again the problem persisted at certain f stops and zoom. I tried with other lenses and camera was working fine. Does anybody has had the same problem? If yes then what will the possible solution will be.

Thanks

See hear for example:

http://www.sitdowndisco.com/canon-24-105mm-f4l-lens-problem-err-01

FWIW, Three of my friends own the 24-105. Two of them have had the same issue with their lenses. Repair is about $150-200 I recall.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andrewk9
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: A common fault
In reply to JohnMatrix, Nov 12, 2012

JohnMatrix wrote:

VijG wrote:

Thanks

See hear for example:

FWIW, Three of my friends own the 24-105. Two of them have had the same issue with their lenses. Repair is about $150-200 I recall.

I'm having a similar problem with my 24-105L and my 7D. It works fine when I test with my old Rebel XT. 7D works ok with other lens. Canon have advised I send lens in. Serious bummer given a lens that is very well looked after and cost over $1k.

BozillaNZ
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 24-105 f4.0 L Error 01
In reply to VijG, Nov 13, 2012

Aperture cable has ripped. This is a well known design defect of this lens model. You can either get the entire aperture unit replaced, or just replace the cable. I did a DIY job of replacing the whole unit, and I have another dead lens right now and I will do soldiering to only replace the cable this time.

BozillaNZ's gear list:BozillaNZ's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +3 more
jan pawlak
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

VijG wrote:

Thanks

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml?categoryId=121

-- hide signature --
Noogy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?

VijG wrote:

Thanks

I ran into such problem about a year ago and it turned out my 7D had to be fixed, good thing under warranty!  Since then my 24-105mm f/4L and 7D have been good buddies.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +11 more
kpk1
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to VijG, Nov 15, 2012

VijG wrote:

Thanks

I had the same problem and the lens was the issue.

I had changed the diaphragm in the lens and it worked again.

andrewk9
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to andrewk9, Nov 26, 2012

andrewk9 wrote:

JohnMatrix wrote:

VijG wrote:

Thanks

See hear for example:

I'm having a similar problem with my 24-105L and my 7D. It works fine when I test with my old Rebel XT. 7D works ok with other lens. Canon have advised I send lens in. Serious bummer given a lens that is very well looked after and cost over $1k.

Quick update - I sent the lens into Irvine, CA factory service. Canon quoted $284 to fix since it's out of warranty. I complained, they have now quoted $257 - big deal! Pity I did not go Nikon and have a 5yr lens warranty!

Not happy with Canon right now. Previously I had to send my 7D in for AF adjustments, now this problem on the lens. I had no idea these expensive products were going to give so many problems

jrarsenault
Senior MemberPosts: 1,129
Like?
In reply to kpk1, Nov 29, 2012

Is this problem associated with a specific date code or does it apply to every 24-105 lens ever manufactured?

ZigZagPoP
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to andrewk9, 5 months ago

I got my new lens repaired in the Philippines at the Canon Service Center under warranty.  After I  left the country  and a problem arised and found out it was not repaired properly.  Repaired again, another problem arised along with the camera so I took them to the Philippines since i do some work there time to time and they lied just about everything and tried to rip me off..

Even though a simple solution like cleaning can do the job, they wanted to replace the whole parts charging alot....

Out of warranty -  You will be out of luck...Nikon with 5 year that I envy...

CanonGuy1980
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to VijG, 5 months ago

VijG wrote:

Thanks

I had this dreaded error code on my 24-105mm and I had to get it fixed under warranty then I decided I didn't like the way it performed and I sold it and now I am saving up for the 24-70mm 2.8 II lens 

wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139
Like?
In reply to VijG, 5 months ago

This was my first error code. which I got when my brand new 5D mkii arrived 4 years ago. Canon replaced it with a demp unit. It was either that they said or wait 3 more months for a new one. They were a hot item in 2009!

Demo camera and 24-105 are still working after around 40k shots. Never thought it was a lens oroblem back then so didn't try contact cleaning. Was very dissalusioned with Canon manufacturinh quality. Doesn't even matter they designate lenses with "L" for luxury wheb they are D.O.A. 

But since I upgraded my 24-105 to the new 24-70 mkii  I am a whole lot happier. Fantastic lens when comparing to the kit 24-105. (which desperately needs an upgrade)

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

CanonGuy1980
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to wazu, 5 months ago

wazu wrote:

This was my first error code. which I got when my brand new 5D mkii arrived 4 years ago. Canon replaced it with a demp unit. It was either that they said or wait 3 more months for a new one. They were a hot item in 2009!

Demo camera and 24-105 are still working after around 40k shots. Never thought it was a lens oroblem back then so didn't try contact cleaning. Was very dissalusioned with Canon manufacturinh quality. Doesn't even matter they designate lenses with "L" for luxury wheb they are D.O.A.

But since I upgraded my 24-105 to the new 24-70 mkii I am a whole lot happier. Fantastic lens when comparing to the kit 24-105. (which desperately needs an upgrade)

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

I agree with you. Not sure what is happening with Canon's Quality Control Team!!

the 24-70mm 2.8 II is alot sharper, faster and alot better then the 24-105mm.

Maybe in 2014 Canon might release the 24-105mm f/2.8 IS.

Only time can tell......

Tapeman
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
In reply to CanonGuy1980, 5 months ago

I have the same problem with my 24-105. I'm shipping it off to Canon today.

BTW the lens failed my while on a European vacation!

Sports Shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tapeman, 5 months ago

Tapeman wrote:

I have the same problem with my 24-105. I'm shipping it off to Canon today.

BTW the lens failed my while on a European vacation!

I had same err code. Canon replaced the diaphragm. it happend when I was in Disneyland and I could only shoot at 24mm. I love this lens

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
NeverEnding
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to Noogy, 3 months ago

What exactly had to be fixed on your 7D? and how much did it cost?

I currently have a broken 7D (giving Error 30, can navigate through menus and view photos and everything, just can't take photos) and have to have that fixed.

My 24-105mm also started giving me Error 01 when shooting at any aperture above f/4, and the autofocus sounds sluggish and weird, like paper grinding on another paper, a bit "sandy" if you will.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads