My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions
Daniel74
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to samhain, Oct 16, 2012

I suspect they are a bit jaded with a lot of trolling and bashing from people with no first-hand experience with their lenses.

I confess when I first saw Steve Huff's gushing review I was not convinced. And when he compared it with a clearly front focused Summilux 50mm ASPH in one pic, I just closed the thing down and dismissed it as another marketing campaign with no substance.

What won me over was seeing amazing images from it over and over again.

I think we have to separate the facts from fiction here. The reviewer above says that his lens has red glue on the mount, marks on the aperture blades and that the focusing ring and the aperture were stiff. He saw some dark particles inside the lens too. This isn't ideal for sure, but it is a long way from here to a lens that is about to fall apart. These are cosmetic issues not fundamental issues with build, are they?

Again, this was the early prototype version too and sure they did themselves a disservice by not checking the lens properly, assuming the reviewer is not exaggerating these matters.

My Cine version (M-mount) was bought from Seb Farges. His was also the early prototype version and he had some troubles with it too. But then he sent it back to them and they had re-engineered the body and it is not bad at all. It certainly doesn't feel like it's going to come apart. Remember this is a massive heavy lens and perhaps this is what some people are not taking into account. I had the legendary Voigtlander Macro-Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 and the focusing on that lens was stiff and uneven. Nobody really makes a fuss over the Voigtlander, or the loose focus on some of the recent Cosina Zeiss.

My sense is that there were some issues early on and now there is an overreaction happening fuelled by some trolling behaviour. I am curious to hear from people who received their lenses recently both the Cine and RF versions. What has their experience been like so far?

For my part, I am very grateful this company has produced a T0.95 full frame with superb image quality lens that I could afford.

Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Schneider PC-Super-Angulon 28mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SLR Magic
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to facewashwas, Oct 16, 2012

facewashwas wrote:

Just how could this quality pass SLR Magic's approval is my question. It's completely ridiculous! I have yet to received an answer from them aside from something along the lines of... well Leica(zeiss, et al) has that too, and here's pics to prove it. Deal with it.

Well, if a Leica lens owner experienced that much from a new single lens, wouldn't you think (Leica, et al) customers service would have done something to alleviate the situation and do something like replace the lens entirely or ask for it to be returned to fix that particular part (or many parts in my case) of the lens- rather than give out goodies to overcast the faults of the lens (thanks anyways if they weren't)?

In the end, this review is of the lens and there's no hiding faults when you have so many mechanically

We sent the lens to you in June. In July you said your camera is under repair at Leica and that you will not get it back till August. It is October now and for the two months you were using the lens you did not email us you are having issues despite the great photos you shared.

With so many issues that you mentioned, why did you not send the lens back for service or mention about the issues you have to us by email instead? There is three years warranty and we can address the issues you have but we cannot assist you if you do not send it back. The last time we heard from you is that you wrote 85% of your review in July with your M camera at Leica service center and you need the camera back for the remaining 15% of your review. However, we have not heard from you by phone or email ever since. Our customer service contact is sales@noktor.com and not by posting your thoughts on dpreview forum or l-camera-forum. I doubt Leica addresses customers issues by l-camera-forum support and you need to contact them by email or in person at their service centre for warranty concerns.

We know you are upset about black specks in the lens from friction of aperture blades. It is a common issue that is discussed on forums for lenses with a huge aperture blades. For the Canon 50mm f/0.95 lens I am not sure if they still service that lens at the Canon customer service centre. The Leica Noctilux can be sent to Leica in Solms for service. The HyperPrime can be sent to us in Hong Kong for service. At Leica their customer care email their customers and say "My recommendation is take a photo to check if that can be seen on the picture. If not we all should no longer worry. If yes, please think about if you want to offer your lens a service on your costs."

The level of support and expectation you have is beyond what other brands can provide. The aperture markings you mentioned about is common on Zeiss Standard Speeds and Superspeed as well according to cinematographers I talked to. I do not see any Zeiss or Leica customer support on forums to address customer concerns. We told you to return the filter you have issues with for an exchange and you did not want to. You requested for a new filter to be shipped to you first without returning the original filter and that is not possible. I am sure for many other companies you also need to first return the item you consider defective to the company before a replacement is shipped out again to you.

deep7
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?

facewashwas wrote:

deep7 wrote:

The lens which is the subject of this thread is so different that it is hard to imagine it was made by the same people!  So sorry to hear about the problems.  I'd be gutted.

-- hide signature --

Don.
A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

Thanks! I feel the same way. I also feel like the lens SteveHuff received for his review was so precise to detail that it was necessary to impress him and the public that yes SLR Magic is capable of making such a lens. But when SLR Magic mass produced the lens on a scale of 10/month, it feels as though they couldn't provide that much level of detail and attention to each lens as they did to stevehuff and his meetup attenders. Thus this is where my RF lens copy landed- quite the completely opposite of stevehuff's world premiere copy.

After all, it's money that counts in the end. Oh, and guess what? Via Paypal, by the time the person get's their lens, they can't say no because a full refund is out of the question seeing that it takes 2-3 months for the lens to arrive. Buyer takes a huge hit via paypal.

Actually, reading into this a bit more, I don't think you have fully accounted for the fact that your lens is not a regular production lens - you specifically asked for a particular version which is pre-production only and therefore is not a new lens.  Pre-production items, such as the one I have here, are produced specifically for testing, allowing last minute improvements before production.

Now I see Andrew has offered to honour the warranty on the lens, which is as it should be.  I think people reading this thread should understand that your review is not of a typical production item and the issues you have encountered are beyond normal quality control.

That said, I am surprised SLR Magic let the item slip out without a better check.  My experience suggested the company are normally more careful than that.

-- hide signature --

Don.

SLR Magic
Like?
In reply to deep7, Oct 16, 2012

deep7 wrote:

facewashwas wrote:

deep7 wrote:

The lens which is the subject of this thread is so different that it is hard to imagine it was made by the same people!  So sorry to hear about the problems.  I'd be gutted.

-- hide signature --

Don.

Thanks! I feel the same way. I also feel like the lens SteveHuff received for his review was so precise to detail that it was necessary to impress him and the public that yes SLR Magic is capable of making such a lens. But when SLR Magic mass produced the lens on a scale of 10/month, it feels as though they couldn't provide that much level of detail and attention to each lens as they did to stevehuff and his meetup attenders. Thus this is where my RF lens copy landed- quite the completely opposite of stevehuff's world premiere copy.

After all, it's money that counts in the end. Oh, and guess what? Via Paypal, by the time the person get's their lens, they can't say no because a full refund is out of the question seeing that it takes 2-3 months for the lens to arrive. Buyer takes a huge hit via paypal.

Actually, reading into this a bit more, I don't think you have fully accounted for the fact that your lens is not a regular production lens - you specifically asked for a particular version which is pre-production only and therefore is not a new lens.  Pre-production items, such as the one I have here, are produced specifically for testing, allowing last minute improvements before production.

Now I see Andrew has offered to honour the warranty on the lens, which is as it should be.  I think people reading this thread should understand that your review is not of a typical production item and the issues you have encountered are beyond normal quality control.

That said, I am surprised SLR Magic let the item slip out without a better check.  My experience suggested the company are normally more careful than that.

-- hide signature --

Don.

Just to correct some misunderstandings. All "Stealth" version of the lens was new when shipped to the owner. The "Stealth" version was requested by the owner and we only have new lenses. Pre-production lenses are much like the production version and usually minor improvements are made. Most of the time it is only minor changes that we received feedback from. Sometimes it is major. The 12mm 1.6 had a major change that caused a long delay for instance. The original owners suggested we change the direction of the focus ring and they were willing to sell their copy and buy the new one if we did that. The latest SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 12mm T1.6 focuses the opposite direction from the original Noktor 12/1.6

What owners should know is that we honour the warranty of the lens. Some owners of our Noktor 12/1.6 were offed an upgrade program at a small cost upon their request to change for the latest version of the lens. That was possible as a major change was made in the direction of the focus ring. We did not have major change for the 50mm T0.95 lens.

Some commented that the aperture ring is tight. It has also been pointed out on Steve Huffs video review of the first look the ring was looser back then. It was a good point made. Everyone thinks the aperture ring should be tighter than the focus ring and that is why we made that change. We also replaced Steve Huff's lens at the LA workshop as he felt the ring was looser as well. So, All aperture rings are tighter than the focus ring now. It is NOT an issue with the mechanical design of the lens.

Lastly, I would like to point out every company has their procedures and we do as well. There are complains we are not addressing concerns of posters on forums. The truth is, there are too many forums and we are never informed about the post from the OP by email or by phone. I have been a consumer myself as well and I do not know how complaining about an issue on a forum is considered  opening a case number with any company. We only respond to service requests by email. It is very time consuming to find out which customer matches which username. For example, we do not have a customer called facewashwas by email, by domain name, by company name, or by first name. I think I know who facewashwas is by now but some claims made are by people I could never find out if he/she is a genuine owner of the HyperPrime lens.

Hacky3D
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to deep7, Oct 16, 2012

If I get a preproduction lens for a review, I give direct and constructive feedback to the manufacturer in order to give him a chance for optimizations (if necessary) before discussing issues with that particular sample in a frequently visited forum like dpreview.

I think some things about the attitude of the "reviewer" cleared up during this discussion. The review is not objective and its generalized "DON’T BUY IT" is derived from a particular sample requested explicitly by the reviewer without contacting the manufacturer about issues determined.

The problem is that many readers already stopped reading on page one and missed, how this turned out. Perhaps DPReview should think about moderative intervention in the initial "review".

Hacky3D's gear list:Hacky3D's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
bur437
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to SLR Magic, Oct 16, 2012

SLR Magic wrote:

I see a few "dislikes" with the drop test suggestion where the HyperPrime survived. This is a clear example where we get the "boos" when lenses of another brand may be to a disadvantage for another lens. We obviously do not have a lot of support from this forum thread. We had a lot of support on mirrorless forums. Same brand but probably different brand loyalty.

This was a topic opened on the micro four thirds thread on dpreview two years ago.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/36108742

We got the feedback from users at dpreview forum on what lens they want and we made the lens. It was the HyperPrime CINE 12mm T1.6 lens that was one of the lenses used on the new Panasonic GH3 launch film.

We also made a new option for a equivalent 50mm T0.95 for APS-C cameras by offering the 35mm T0.95 lens. Here are some reviews on the Fuji EX1 and the NEX-7.
Almost Perfection - 1st Test of a SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 35mm T0.95 prototype
EXCLUSIVE: SLR Magic 35mm 0.95 lens – FIRST LOOK on XE1 & OMD
We do not have the heritage like other brands as that would take years but we have been very active in providing more lens options for a market that had so far been monopolistic for the past 100 years.

Hi Andrew ( I think it's Andrew)

I think your personal feelings about 'typical Leica users' or 'typical forum brand loyalty' may be clouding your judgement on this issue (the drop test)

I don't care because

A- it's not scientific (how do you control how a lens will typically fall and what part of the lens will land first and how many lenses need to be dropped to be statistically significant

B- a lens isn't designed to be dropped (it's nice if it survives). I do care and suspect other buyers care much more about how a lens stands up to the rigors of everyday use. This means I need to be assured focus rings and apertures will work smoothly, and since I can't handle a lens (I'm in Aus) all I have to go by is other users feedback.

I am primarily a mirror less user (nex) I don't have a Leica digital body. I do have three Asph Leica lenses, a Voigtlander (50 1.1) and a Minolta lens all in M mount. I am more interested in SLRMagics 35 0.95, but my opinions on buying that lens will be influenced by the companies reputation in bringing to market other 'high end' lenses (any lens over $2000 I consider high end and should last 15+ years of use)

Ive seen suggestoons that you provide a lens for some kind of strip down test, you don't seem keen on that, but I feel that I am not alone in saying that I need to be be further convinced that your companies premium lenses come with premium quality control and build specs.

Ps- I really think the image quality of both the fast 50 and 35 are excellent and you have the potential for an excellent product. You may feel you have been unfairly dealt with in regards to posters 'airing' negative comments without firstly contacting you, But.. how your company responds will speak volumes

All the best

Simon

Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,596Gear list
Like?

Greetings!

Have read through all of your review and it seems your conclusion is - bottom line - there is a reason why the Leica f0.95 lens has the double price!?

So would you say better invest in a 50mm Summilux than in the Hyperprime Noctilux version?

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)
http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
Daniel74
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael S., Oct 16, 2012

I am sorry for speaking out of turn, but the Summilux and the Hyperprime are completely different beasts.

If you don't need F/0.95, there is not reason to get the Hyperprime. It's massive and heavy, it's not going to feel as good as the Summilux and it's not going to beat it in terms of image quality (though I suspect it comes close).

The Hyperprime is more than a stop faster, this is the reason people get it - for low light shooting, for razor-thin depth of field, for bokeh. And it does surprisingly well in these departments - just look at the samples in this thread and the links.

As for build quality, I think we should be careful not to jump to conclusions. My Cine version certainly feels very solid and the mechanics are acceptable. There is also every indication that this company is serious and will stand behind their products.

Daniel74's gear list:Daniel74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Schneider PC-Super-Angulon 28mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 +2 more
macjonny1
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
In reply to Daniel74, Oct 16, 2012

One consideration through this whole process...

Noctilux .95 goes for around $11000 new.  With the current market, I have seen these go for as low as $8500-$9000 used on getdpi and other sale forums.  That's a $2-2.5k depreciation not even including tax.  Folks are worried about these hyperprime lenses depreciating but they would have to depreciate over 50% before an equivalent loss in actual dollar value.   I do think if they are truly standing behind their product and their replies to this posting honestly give me more confidence, then even at current price it could still represent a good value.

Hacky3D
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael S., Oct 16, 2012

Michael S. wrote:

Have read through all of your review and it seems your conclusion is - bottom line - there is a reason why the Leica f0.95 lens has the double price!?

So would you say better invest in a 50mm Summilux than in the Hyperprime Noctilux version?

As written before, a Summilux and a F0.9x lens are not directly comparable. F1.4 already allows to play nicely with depth of field and will be more than sufficient propably in >90% of those situations and the bokeh of the ASPH Summilux is still the reference at F1.4. F0.92 means, you have a special effects lens, that covers also F1.4 but for about three times the weight and size. In contrast to the Noctilux, the HyperPrime keeps highlights in the out-of-focus areas as nicely round circels of confusion (no edges visible) even when stopped down to F1.4 or 2.0.

I have the comfortable situation to own the Summilux as well as the HyperPrime and I would give away non of them. If you have to decide between them, you should be sure if you want to have a lens able for special effects at the price of significantly more weight and size. If you do not require RF calibration, the CINE could be an option for you at about the price of a Summilux.

Hacky3D's gear list:Hacky3D's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
facewashwas
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Hacky3D, Oct 16, 2012

Hacky3D wrote:

If I get a preproduction lens for a review, I give direct and constructive feedback to the manufacturer in order to give him a chance for optimizations (if necessary) before discussing issues with that particular sample in a frequently visited forum like dpreview.

I think some things about the attitude of the "reviewer" cleared up during this discussion. The review is not objective and its generalized "DON’T BUY IT" is derived from a particular sample requested explicitly by the reviewer without contacting the manufacturer about issues determined.

First off this lens is NOT a pre-production lens  and it was the finalized version when it was released to me. It is a concept lens nonetheless.  Very minor changes have been made since my version, if at all any. But compared to Stevehuff's version, I'm sure there are some tweaks here and there. SLR Magic can confirm that.

I think I've given more than enough reason in the review to state not buy the lens.

facewashwas
Like?

SLR Magic wrote:

Pre-production lenses are much like the production version and usually minor improvements are made. Most of the time it is only minor changes that we received feedback from. Sometimes it is major.

As stated here. They are practically the same so to speak.

facewashwas
Like?

SLR Magic wrote:

It is October now and for the two months you were using the lens you did not email us you are having issues despite the great photos you shared.

Wrong. Please check email on June 22.

I received an email from you on the 21st that the lens was shipped. I received the lens on the 22nd. I emailed you THAT SAME DAY about my initial impression.
Here is the email to be exact if you've forgotten it.

"Andrew@ SLR Magic,

I just received the LM Hyperprime (RF coupled) via UPS. Thank you for the shipment. Since I am at work, I will not have the chance to look at the lens until afterwards.
I did, however, noticed a few things and would like to ask about the lens I just received:1) Is this lens my personal unit that I purchased back in April or is it the Evaluation/Review Unit?2) The unit I received has a black front-ring with the word "Stealth" engraved.  at f/16 is not rounded. Instead, it is an oddly, disfigured square/circle.aperture3) The  ring has what seems to be several paint chips (signs of use?).aperture4) The edges of the focus ring and 5) Two holes in focusing ring has "red residue" What are they?
It would be great if someone can clarify this with me. Looking forward to your reply!" 
Why are you telling people I didn't address my concerns to you?
So you see, I had already notify you some of the major concerns highlighted in my detailed review.
And here is your reply.

Andrew"
Kind rgds.,
Have you tried using your lens yet?
during shipping. In the US they use a blue residue for example.
The red residue is to prevent the screws from getting loose from bumps
machine made knife. It is the nature of hand made specialty products.
example, a hand crafted knife does not have a perfect edge like a
We have it made as much like a  mass production lens as possible. For
lenses from (e.g. Japan) you may even have saw markings on the lens.
is normal to look like this even when brand new. If you buy hand made
The lens is only used by the lens maker. It is a hand made lens and it
the opposite way.
 opening. It kind of worksaperturenot have a perfectly round minimum 
 throughout mayaperture. However, lenses with a round apertureminimum 
 range may have a roundaperture throughout the aperturedisfigured 
 is made as round as possible. Usually lenses withapertureThe 
a volunteer as we do not sell the Stealth version to public.
only offer it to testers but you wanted it so we asked if you could be
 you requested to purchase the Stealth version instead. We +May 7thOn 
and testers can purchase the Stealth version of the 50mm T0.95 lens.
"The version you purchased is a brand new Review unit. Only volunteers
The fact that you said the condition of my lens was normal even brand new is shocking. Rarely do I ever buy a new lens to find markings on it. Never, to be exact.

facewashwas
Like?

We told you to return the filter you have issues with for an exchange and you did not want to.

Regarding the UV/IR filter, I've concluded that it would be best that I put the money to ship the defective unit towards a higher quality filter from another company. Thank you for your offer.

SLR Magic
Like?

Jimmy, below is the email I received from you on May 8th. We did not get a copy of this review before publication. I see that you are more than thrilled to receive the Stealth version of the lens. I am sure you raised awarness for our company name and capabilities to the mass public.

Kind rgds.,

Andrew

"In response to your last email, I would be more than thrilled if I can receive a review copy (RF-coupled preferably the black/stealth) for a comprehensive, detailed evaluation.

I’ll be sure that my review will be supportive in many ways including, but not limited to:

I am active on many photography forums and sites where I will be able to speak as a reviewer on behalf of your name. If preferred, I can submit my review to your company before publication."

4)      Provide prospective customers with positive conclusions of the lens and your company name.

3)      Reveal real-world use of the lens not based on a controlled environment or MFT charts

2)      Demonstrating optical performance and ability of the hyperprime lens

1)      Raising awareness of your company name and capabilities to the mass public

facewashwas
Like?

SLR Magic wrote:

Jimmy, below is the email I received from you on May 8th. We did not get a copy of this review before publication. I see that you are more than thrilled to receive the Stealth version of the lens. I am sure you raised awarness for our company name and capabilities to the mass public.

Kind rgds.,

Andrew

"In response to your last email, I would be more than thrilled if I can receive a review copy (RF-coupled preferably the black/stealth) for a comprehensive, detailed evaluation.

I’ll be sure that my review will be supportive in many ways including, but not limited to:

I am active on many photography forums and sites where I will be able to speak as a reviewer on behalf of your name. If preferred, I can submit my review to your company before publication."

4)      Provide prospective customers with positive conclusions of the lens and your company name.

3)      Reveal real-world use of the lens not based on a controlled environment or MFT charts

2)      Demonstrating optical performance and ability of the hyperprime lens

1)      Raising awareness of your company name and capabilities to the mass public

Andrew. Unfortunately, you provided me with a mechanically poor lens, but optically amazing.

What did you want me to do? Lie? Or bury the faults in the lens? These are facts about the lens I provided in the review with some of my own personal opinion. Positively, that your company came up with an great formula for this lens, but failed to deliver in construction. I think I hit all 4 points there.

SLR Magic
Like?

facewashwas wrote:

SLR Magic wrote:

It is October now and for the two months you were using the lens you did not email us you are having issues despite the great photos you shared.

Wrong. Please check email on June 22.

I received an email from you on the 21st that the lens was shipped. I received the lens on the 22nd. I emailed you THAT SAME DAY about my initial impression.
Here is the email to be exact if you've forgotten it.

"Andrew@ SLR Magic,

I just received the LM Hyperprime (RF coupled) via UPS. Thank you for the shipment. Since I am at work, I will not have the chance to look at the lens until afterwards.
I did, however, noticed a few things and would like to ask about the lens I just received:1) Is this lens my personal unit that I purchased back in April or is it the Evaluation/Review Unit?2) The unit I received has a black front-ring with the word "Stealth" engraved.  at f/16 is not rounded. Instead, it is an oddly, disfigured square/circle.aperture3) The  ring has what seems to be several paint chips (signs of use?).aperture4) The edges of the focus ring and 5) Two holes in focusing ring has "red residue" What are they?
It would be great if someone can clarify this with me. Looking forward to your reply!" 
Why are you telling people I didn't address my concerns to you?
So you see, I had already notify you some of the major concerns highlighted in my detailed review.
And here is your reply.

Andrew"
Kind rgds.,
Have you tried using your lens yet?
during shipping. In the US they use a blue residue for example.
The red residue is to prevent the screws from getting loose from bumps
machine made knife. It is the nature of hand made specialty products.
example, a hand crafted knife does not have a perfect edge like a
We have it made as much like a  mass production lens as possible. For
lenses from (e.g. Japan) you may even have saw markings on the lens.
is normal to look like this even when brand new. If you buy hand made
The lens is only used by the lens maker. It is a hand made lens and it
the opposite way.
 opening. It kind of worksaperturenot have a perfectly round minimum 
 throughout mayaperture. However, lenses with a round apertureminimum 
 range may have a roundaperture throughout the aperturedisfigured 
 is made as round as possible. Usually lenses withapertureThe 
a volunteer as we do not sell the Stealth version to public.
only offer it to testers but you wanted it so we asked if you could be
 you requested to purchase the Stealth version instead. We +May 7thOn 
and testers can purchase the Stealth version of the 50mm T0.95 lens.
"The version you purchased is a brand new Review unit. Only volunteers
The fact that you said the condition of my lens was normal even brand new is shocking. Rarely do I ever buy a new lens to find markings on it. Never, to be exact.

On June 26 2012 you said:

"Andrew,

I can see where our confusion meets but worry not as I now understand our situation here. I come to you as a prospective customer, and at the same time, an enthusiast photographer/reviewer. As agreed, I will review the HyperPrime lens for the internet. I must admit, however, that the lens arrived much sooner that I have expected. I am quite impressed! I have yet had the chance to use the lens this past weekend since I was on a business trip, but I will get using and reviewing the lens very soon.

Keep in contact!

Cheers,

Jimmy"

I understood you do not have time to try the lens on yet but you do have an M9 with you.

On July 18 2012 you said:

"To be honest, the lens was delivered much sooner than I expected. I was not ready to review the unit since my M9 is not scheduled to return until the end of August."

"FYI, I began writing a review for the lens but have yet to assess the optical performance since I do not have a camera to test the lens on; 85% of what I've written mentions the several flaws I observed throughout the construction of the lens."

You never mentioned you had no M9 camera for the whole time and that you have no camera till end of August. I am surprised you have almost completed more than 85% of your review without any camera to try the lens on.

On July 18th we said to you:

"We would suggest that you wait for your M9P to be returned from Leica,
and you can use our lens. The lens has a warranty of 3 years starting
from the date that it arrived your mailing address in case of
mechanical defects.  Since you do not have your camera with you when
you received our lens, the best we can offer you is that once you
received your camera body from Leica, please email a copy of the
postal receipt of your camera to us.  After receipt of your email copy
of the postal receipt from Leica by end of August to us, we will help
you adjust your 30 days exchange starting date in case of mechanical
problem with our lens.  We hope this can reduce your worry."

We were willing to push back the 3 years warranty period to not start till August as long as you show us the return service receipt from Leica when you get it back end of August. It is quite difficult to get this level of service even at Leica. If you ship a camera for repair at Leica they will not push back the warranty period of their lenses for you.

I state again, we have NOT received any email from you ever since you got your camera back from Leica the end of August.

Unless you can show you have followed up with us after you have received your camera from Leica in end of August this is the end of conversation as it is getting repetitive.

facewashwas
Like?

Yes, before I had my M9 to test the lens, I completed most of the review based on what I can do without the camera. The remaining of the review comments on the lens optical quality which by now, you know my already opinion.

I eventually asked for a full refund, but replied not without a 20% restocking fee as stated by your website. If I had known in advanced that this was how a brand new lens looks like from your company, I would have not been so eager to place a pre-order.

As far the warranty goes, I still have it. Starting on June 22 and expiring 3 years from the day I received the lens. I'm fine with that.

SLR Magic
Like?
In reply to bur437, Oct 16, 2012

bur437 wrote:

SLR Magic wrote:

I see a few "dislikes" with the drop test suggestion where the HyperPrime survived. This is a clear example where we get the "boos" when lenses of another brand may be to a disadvantage for another lens. We obviously do not have a lot of support from this forum thread. We had a lot of support on mirrorless forums. Same brand but probably different brand loyalty.

This was a topic opened on the micro four thirds thread on dpreview two years ago.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/36108742

We got the feedback from users at dpreview forum on what lens they want and we made the lens. It was the HyperPrime CINE 12mm T1.6 lens that was one of the lenses used on the new Panasonic GH3 launch film.

We also made a new option for a equivalent 50mm T0.95 for APS-C cameras by offering the 35mm T0.95 lens. Here are some reviews on the Fuji EX1 and the NEX-7.
Almost Perfection - 1st Test of a SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 35mm T0.95 prototype
EXCLUSIVE: SLR Magic 35mm 0.95 lens – FIRST LOOK on XE1 & OMD
We do not have the heritage like other brands as that would take years but we have been very active in providing more lens options for a market that had so far been monopolistic for the past 100 years.

Hi Andrew ( I think it's Andrew)

I think your personal feelings about 'typical Leica users' or 'typical forum brand loyalty' may be clouding your judgement on this issue (the drop test)

I don't care because

A- it's not scientific (how do you control how a lens will typically fall and what part of the lens will land first and how many lenses need to be dropped to be statistically significant

B- a lens isn't designed to be dropped (it's nice if it survives). I do care and suspect other buyers care much more about how a lens stands up to the rigors of everyday use. This means I need to be assured focus rings and apertures will work smoothly, and since I can't handle a lens (I'm in Aus) all I have to go by is other users feedback.

I am primarily a mirror less user (nex) I don't have a Leica digital body. I do have three Asph Leica lenses, a Voigtlander (50 1.1) and a Minolta lens all in M mount. I am more interested in SLRMagics 35 0.95, but my opinions on buying that lens will be influenced by the companies reputation in bringing to market other 'high end' lenses (any lens over $2000 I consider high end and should last 15+ years of use)

Ive seen suggestoons that you provide a lens for some kind of strip down test, you don't seem keen on that, but I feel that I am not alone in saying that I need to be be further convinced that your companies premium lenses come with premium quality control and build specs.

Ps- I really think the image quality of both the fast 50 and 35 are excellent and you have the potential for an excellent product. You may feel you have been unfairly dealt with in regards to posters 'airing' negative comments without firstly contacting you, But.. how your company responds will speak volumes

All the best

Simon

We do not agree that the method to test the durability of lens is by a strip down test.We are not aware of any lens manufacturer claiming or proving the durability of their lensby striping it down within the last 10 years. I cannot find any strip down test report on the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 or the Canon 50mm f/0.95. If there is, the people requesting for it can show us the link to the press release of a lens manufacturer who announce to thepublic that they use a strip down test to test the durability of their lens, showing howmany years their lens can last by striping it down, then we will follow up with that lensmanufacturer to find out their method of telling whether a lens will last 1 year, 5 yearsor 10 years by striping it down.  If no press release details are given, this is the end ofdiscussion to this topic.
 and no one complains about the lens having a mechanical disaster. They only complain that the warranty is not transferable.http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1079832I also do not agree how a lens can be considered to be a mechanical disaster in a years time when the year is not up and it is best avoided to buy the lens. If you look at fredmiranda.com people discuss about taking the lens back for repairs due to mechanical fault during the warranty period 
The Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 comes with a 2 year international warranty by sending to Solms and maybe 3 in some countries.
The HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 comes with a 3 year international warranty by sending to Hong Kong
The HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 comes with a 1 year international warranty by sending to Hong Kong
The Canon 50mm f/0.95 is discontinued and there is no more warranty.
For all manufacturers of all brands, if there is a fault during warranty period the lens will be fixed as long as the lens was used under normal conditions. If there is a fault out of warranty period, then it means fault from wear and tear. It is up to the public to decide why faults from other brands during of after warranty period are not considered to be a mechanical disaster. From what everyone have seen, we never rejected a service request if the lens is shipped to Hong Kong.
The thread is getting repetitive on multiple threads and I have spent much of my time repeating to the same topics again and again so I will not be commenting any further.
facewashwas
Like?

Not that this would be of any help, but something like this would be great. I think this is what people wants to see. Am I right?

and/or

Why not just give the people what they want?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads