First SX50 Bird shots

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions
Ken53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,461
Like?
First SX50 Bird shots
Oct 12, 2012

While I still am having mixed opinions on the SX50 for my needs…,  here are some early shots. It has only been a few days and I am still trying to squeeze in small bits of free time with it.

The Hawk and the frontal Chickadee should be the only shots at high ISO. Also the Hawk and somewhat the Squirrel are the only shots that benefited from the 1200mm. The Hawk was about 45ft and didn’t need any cropping.

Clearly the slow lens can often be a handicap, like in the Hawk shot in the shade. )-:

The use of Super Fine, causes the file to jump from about 3megs to about 5.5megs. )-:

The full size images are available for down loading. They have some basic editing done in Live Photo Gallery. (If anyone opens them in LPG, they might be able to revert back to the original.)

Feel free to use them as you please.

Thanks for Viewing.

Ken

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,490Gear list
Like?
Re: First SX50 Bird shots
In reply to Ken53, Oct 12, 2012

Very nice shots, Ken. Thanks for posting these.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,795Gear list
Like?

Well done, Ken.  Very nice shots.  Tripod or hand-held?

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Susan Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?

Gorgeous photos!  I've been debating whether to get the SX40 or SX50. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 which I love, but my college daughter has just about taken it over   I have been wondering if the improvements in the SX50 make it worth the extra cost.

Love the squirrel photo!  Just this morning there was one here on a back fence, but it went too quickly for me to get a good shot

Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?

Very nice! I especially like that first shot.

Bev

Bashar Yassin
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Amazing photos , thanks for sharing !

Ken53
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Oct 12, 2012

Well not quiet either, (-:

I always try to lean or rest against something. In this case my elbows where resting on a window sill. (-:

So far I can say the IS is up to the task as well as the SX40 or slightly better. Anyone thinking of buying the SX50, should not worry about the IS, it works well.

The slow lens though, creates a whole new world of using slow shutter speeds. The IS will compensate for the shake but not for the subject moving. I like most everything about the SX50 but the slow lens takes some of the fun out of it.

Thanks for the compliment.

Ken

CMaxx2
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?

Nice shots!.. Looking at the originals it looks like as much noise in 80 ISO as in 800 ISO?.. Im I seeing that right?

-- hide signature --

Any criticism is Welcome so please add your thoughts I'm always learning..And as always thanks for looking...(:
H2- Bridget
H5- Jeff

CMaxx2's gear list:CMaxx2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
Ken53
Like?
In reply to Susan Taylor, Oct 12, 2012

Susan Taylor wrote:

Gorgeous photos!  I've been debating whether to get the SX40 or SX50. I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 which I love, but my college daughter has just about taken it over   I have been wondering if the improvements in the SX50 make it worth the extra cost.

Love the squirrel photo!  Just this morning there was one here on a back fence, but it went too quickly for me to get a good shot

I really don’t know at this point yet. The SX40 is a lot for your money right now. If someone doesn’t need that extra reach, then the SX40 might be a better choice. It’s a though call and I wish I could give you a better answer. When you do decide, just don’t look back. (-:

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

Ken

Ken53
Like?
In reply to Bev, Oct 12, 2012

Bev wrote:

Very nice! I especially like that first shot.

Bev

Thanks...

The first one is my favorite too. (-:

After the hawk arrived, the rest left for a while. (-:

Ken

Ken53
Like?
In reply to CMaxx2, Oct 12, 2012

CMaxx2 wrote:

Nice shots!.. Looking at the originals it looks like as much noise in 80 ISO as in 800 ISO?.. Im I seeing that right?

-- hide signature --

Any criticism is Welcome so please add your thoughts I'm always learning..And as always thanks for looking...(:
H2- Bridget
H5- Jeff

You are seeing correctly. The hawk and one chickadee had different settings, and more noise reduction was applied, as well as being set at the Super Fine setting. The rest had the sharpness up one notch, less noise reduction, and only at the Fine setting. The hawk actually disappoints me, with  a lot of smearing when view at 100%.

The SX50 has some odd noise reduction going on here, that just looks a bit different. It’s not worse or better than the SX40, just different, and I can’t quiet put my finger on it.

I really like my SX40 so it’s going to take a lot for the SX50 to earn it’s keep in my camera bag. (-:

Thanks for looking, especially at the originals.

Ken

Ken53
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Oct 12, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Very nice shots, Ken. Thanks for posting these.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Hi Dale

Thanks for the kind words.

I hope to get better results yet, as time goes on. That need for that extra light, just to satisfy that lens is can be little annoying.  The camera is great in every other way though.

Ken

Ken53
Like?
In reply to Bashar Yassin, Oct 12, 2012

Bashar Yassin wrote:

Amazing photos , thanks for sharing !

Thanks for liking them.

The camera can do better, I just need do my part better.

Photography is one of those hobbies that we get out, what we put in. (-:

Ken

yooperguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,772Gear list
Like?

Beautiful shots as usual from you Ken.  Have you tried processing any RAW images from the SX50 yet, or do you only shoot in JPEG?  Also, did you consider the Pany FZ200 with a constant f/2.8 option, but shorter zoom?

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20
Ken53
Like?
In reply to yooperguy, Oct 12, 2012

yooperguy wrote:

Beautiful shots as usual from you Ken.  Have you tried processing any RAW images from the SX50 yet, or do you only shoot in JPEG?  Also, did you consider the Pany FZ200 with a constant f/2.8 option, but shorter zoom?

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have done raw in the past and will try the SX50’s raw in the future too. I do believe that raw would at least net better DR for sure.  Unfortunately… I barely find time just to handle my jpgs. (-:

The FZ200 should be great camera. My gosh!... 2.8 all the way to 600mm is quite an accomplishment! For sports of any kind the FZ200 should be the choice of many. But to answer your question, I didn’t consider it, only because the longest reach fits my habits better. There is no denying though, the slow SX50 lens is quite a sour pill to swallow (-:

I’m not sure how birding got to be so popular in recent times, but it has, and is a huge industry right now. It’s funny, that I am so hooked on it now, but in my younger years, a bird was just something that crapped on my car. (-: Maybe Canon is just trying catch a little bit of that birding cash while its popularity is still strong.

If I was wealthy I would have both cameras, and, probably a lot more time to use them both (-:

Ken

tonyinport
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ken53, Oct 13, 2012

Thanks Ken, great shots!  I'm sill trying to learn how to use the SX 40.  It can do a lot wide open.  Tony

tonyinport's gear list:tonyinport's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Gorgeous series and I think it did well on ISO-800.

If you have small toy with feather or fur and shoot it at around 10 meters away, we can tell how much improvement really is compared to SX40.

How about shot-to-shot times and AF compared to SX40? The reason why I sold my SX40 is because it is terribly sluggish and add to that the slow motorized zoom which I hope is faster now on the SX50?

TIA.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
R Johns
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801
Like?
Great Samples, Ken...

I realize it is a very slow lense, but I like its bokeh.  It is very appealing, to me... 

The sensor seems to make the best of the higher ISO's, too (albiet we are talking about JPEGs)...

Regards,

Russ

samualson
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: Great Samples, Ken...
In reply to R Johns, Oct 13, 2012

I wish Canon stayed with the SX 40's zoom range and concentrated their efforts elsewhere . Unfortunately, i have a feeling that Canon will continue to push the zoom as long as Nikon continues to first.

I would love to see a high end EVF  and a 3" LCD like on the Panisonic FZ 200 but with a faster lens.Canon needs to just refine the camera instead of shooting for the most reach, 35 X  like on the SX 40 was enough imo.

topshot61
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Re: First SX50 Bird shots- Great

Just Great!. Each on of them is well composed and well exposed!

topshot61's gear list:topshot61's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads