Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions
Calico Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro Lens for a77
In reply to Dave Oddie, Oct 25, 2012

Dave Oddie wrote:

Calico Jack wrote:

The Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 1:1 Di Macro lens is THE portrait macro lens, and right now in the USA, it's got a 6 year warranty and a $50.00 mail-in rebate. It's a wickedly good lens, and you won't be disappointed with the results either. I have one (as well as a Delta DRF-14 S ringflash for macro and portrait use), and the combo is wicked!

Check out the specs and other data, though do shop around for best price if buying new. The ring flash is a re-branded Marumi, and is available from Foto-Tip (Poland) via evilBay (free Worldwide shipping). See item: 350311920117

What camera are you using the ringflash with? I see reviews of one of the clones on the Amazon UK site saying it doesn't work with either the A580 or any of the SLT cameras.

See here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0034Y5DQK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ah yes . . the Achilles heel of the SLT system (I totally forgot about that problem). I used mine on A700 and now with the A850. One thing for sure is that some accessory compatibility of the SLT system truly sucks, and likely ends up costing owners more to re-purchase what they already had or have a limited choice of accessories that can be used at higher prices that we non SLT owners don't have any issue(s) with. It's not something I'll ever have an issue with thankfully!

-- hide signature --

Pirate!

Calico Jack's gear list:Calico Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
penndragonn2001
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
In reply to iHedo, Oct 25, 2012

Minolta 28-85mm f3.5 macro..Oldie and a goodie! Can pick one up on Ebay for like 40-80 dollars. All metal construction.  Great lens...

-- hide signature --

Sony NEX 7, Sony A550

penndragonn2001's gear list:penndragonn2001's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha NEX-7
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,841Gear list
Like?
Not a true macro
In reply to penndragonn2001, Oct 25, 2012

penndragonn2001 wrote:

Minolta 28-85mm f3.5 macro..Oldie and a goodie! Can pick one up on Ebay for like 40-80 dollars. All metal construction. Great lens...

Not a true macro as it is 0.25x max not 1:1 like a true macro. It's also slow and soft above 50mm unless stopped down a lot. All and all not very good as a macro lens.

http://kurtmunger.com/minolta_af_28_85mm_f_3_5_4_5id270.html

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=91

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
tbcass
Like?
In reply to Calico Jack, Oct 25, 2012

Calico Jack wrote:

What camera are you using the ringflash with? I see reviews of one of the clones on the Amazon UK site saying it doesn't work with either the A580 or any of the SLT cameras.

See here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0034Y5DQK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ah yes . . the Achilles heel of the SLT system (I totally forgot about that problem). I used mine on A700 and now with the A850. One thing for sure is that some accessory compatibility of the SLT system truly sucks, and likely ends up costing owners more to re-purchase what they already had or have a limited choice of accessories that can be used at higher prices that we non SLT owners don't have any issue(s) with. It's not something I'll ever have an issue with thankfully!

The A580 is a DSLR so this incompatibility issue isn't SLT related.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
penndragonn2001
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: Not a true macro
In reply to tbcass, Oct 25, 2012

tbcass wrote:

penndragonn2001 wrote:

Minolta 28-85mm f3.5 macro..Oldie and a goodie! Can pick one up on Ebay for like 40-80 dollars. All metal construction. Great lens...

Not a true macro as it is 0.25x max not 1:1 like a true macro. It's also slow and soft above 50mm unless stopped down a lot. All and all not very good as a macro lens.

http://kurtmunger.com/minolta_af_28_85mm_f_3_5_4_5id270.html

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=91

-- hide signature --

Well, correct me if I'm wrong... most people doing macro work need quick autofocus like they need a kick in the head!, nor are they using Macro above 50mm. who does that? There would be no need for a macro if you're go9ing anywhere near 50mm. What do I know?  Peace

-- hide signature --

Sony NEX 7, Sony A550

penndragonn2001's gear list:penndragonn2001's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha NEX-7
maxeythecat
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
In reply to gooseta, Oct 25, 2012

gooseta wrote:

Tamron 90/f2.8. Amazing. Great macro lens, super sharp. Will work well as a portrait lens and has beautiful bokeh

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
Amateur photographer
NEW SITE : angadsrin.zenfolio.com

Amazing doesn't begin to describe it! I just bought a Tammy 90 f/2.8 and I'm thrilled with it. It's an older model ( the 72E to be exact) but it shoots tack sharp without turning a hair. It does macro, it does portraiture, it even does well as a "birding" lens if you're close enough...it's worth every penny I spent on it and then some!

maxeythecat's gear list:maxeythecat's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +9 more
Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,512Gear list
Like?
In reply to maxeythecat, Oct 25, 2012

maxeythecat wrote:

I just bought a Tammy 90 f/2.8 and I'm thrilled with it. It's an older model ( the 72E to be exact) but it shoots tack sharp without turning a hair. It does macro, it does portraiture, it even does well as a "birding" lens if you're close enough...it's worth every penny I spent on it and then some!

Yep, the Tamron 90mm 2.9 is a great birding lens too, bit this capability gets often overlooked. Not many lenses can take these kind of birding shots:

Pf course it's a great Maccro lens too:

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
tbcass
Like?
Re: Not a true macro
In reply to penndragonn2001, Oct 25, 2012

penndragonn2001 wrote:

Well, correct me if I'm wrong... most people doing macro work need quick autofocus like they need a kick in the head!, nor are they using Macro above 50mm. who does that? There would be no need for a macro if you're go9ing anywhere near 50mm. What do I know? Peace

Sorry you are wrong. Actually many macro lenses are greater than 50mm because longer focal lengths allow for a greater lens to subject distance. The Tamron 90mm and Sony 100mm are great examples. In addition your suggested lens is not a true macro because it is only 0.25x while true macros are at least 1:1 (1.00x).

-- hide signature --
tbcass
Like?
In reply to Sam_Oslo, Oct 25, 2012

Most people want at least 200mm for birding but if you can get close enough the Tammy 90 certainly can take ultrasharp photos.

-- hide signature --
Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,512Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Oct 25, 2012

tbcass wrote:

Most people want at least 200mm for birding but if you can get close enough the Tammy 90 certainly can take ultrasharp photos.

-- hide signature --

Yes, 90mm is not your typical birding lens, but it was a really  pleasant surprise to see the blazing fast respond when a bird showed up suddenly.

I personally think 200mm is still too short for birding, but we don't have many options in 200mm+ Sony Primes, so that's a valid point.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
stol2004
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
In reply to bosnian, Oct 25, 2012

bosnian wrote:

Hey Guys,

I have been looking for a macro lens for my a77 and thought I found a winner in Tokina 100mm 2.8 (love the brand since I got my 11-16 2.8) but they don't make the lens in alpha mount. I was looking at Sony equivalent, but after looking at few reviews (photozone included), I am having difficulties justifying twice the price of Tokina for a lesser lens.

Any other lenses worthy? Tamron 90mm? Sigma 150mm?

I would like a lens that is very good at being a portrait lens as it would be at macro work. And I don't care if its new or used (would not mind old Minolta glass for example)

Ideas?

Thank you for your time.

I think tamron is a decent lens . If you are not that skilled photographer you can buy it . I bought it and is a fine lens . Sony may be better , but I had nice results with mine so i'm happy with it .

Is just a small collection from my tammy lens . If you have money buy the Sony . I heard is better . If you cant shoot at all, buy an workshop class . I could post much better photos than these but many losers from this forum steal photos and claim they own them . Even Sigma Turkey stole photos from me made with tamron . Anyway , GL with your choice .

stol2004's gear list:stol2004's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7S Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,572Gear list
Like?
In reply to stol2004, Oct 26, 2012

IM very happy with my Tamron 90 Maco 2.8

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO