Panasonic can put focus peaking, only using firmware. (At least on the GH3, G5, GF5.)

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,476Gear list
Like?
Panasonic can put focus peaking, only using firmware. (At least on the GH3, G5, GF5.)
Oct 12, 2012
  •  From the interview at Imaging Resource with five Panasonic Lumix staff persons, they can implement focus peaking and more, only using firmware. 
  • Here is the text saying that from the good interview. 

Panasonic: Possibly.

DE: A very similar question, and probably the same answer, relative to zebra stripes for showing overexposure. Same story there?

Panasonic: Contrast AF finds the peak contrast, so we can use the same process to show focus peaking during manual focus; it wouldn't be too difficult. The reason we couldn't include it in the GH3 was just a matter of available engineering resources. Of course, we have to make priorities, and this is one of our top priorities.

DE: Is it a matter of being able to do the processing needed for focus peaking and still keep the frame rate high enough?

Panasonic: At this moment we don't have focus peaking, but 80% or 90% of users are asking for it. If we can successfully negotiate with the engineers, it will be possible. Maybe with a firmware upgrade, we could add this. We understand from the technical division in Japan that the peaking function just depends on software improvements.

DE: Have you been able to include focus peaking with the GH3? We have been hearing from a lot of GH2 users requesting this feature.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Here the full interview I already posted on another thread.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Oct 12, 2012
  • And here the full interview I already posted on another thread. 
  • Click to read  
-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: That will be great.

I read it on your thread about the interview, I liked much, this will be great, hope they really launch a firmware to do this.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic can put focus peaking, only using firmware. (At least on the GH3, G5, GF5.)

Sony added it to the NEX 3 and NEX 5 by a firmware update. That was 10 months ago. Unless patent issues are involved (although Ricoh has that too), there's no reason why Panasonic and Olympus cannot add this trivial feature that every software engineer can implement. Firmware updates in u4/3 leave a lot to be desired.

assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Panasonic can put focus peaking, only using firmware. (At least on the GH3, G5, GF5.)
In reply to assaft, Oct 12, 2012

assaft wrote:

Sony added it to the NEX 3 and NEX 5 by a firmware update. That was 10 months ago. Unless patent issues are involved (although Ricoh has that too), there's no reason why Panasonic and Olympus cannot add this trivial feature that every software engineer can implement. Firmware updates in u4/3 leave a lot to be desired.

I though that Sony already have it on those cameras. That is good. Hope that on Micro 4/3 they do the same and soon. Panasonic Lumix people saying that on the interview is a good signal, maybe they will do it quickly, they know that 83% would like that feature.

Thank you for the information.

-- hide signature --

TomFid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
Panasonic: At this moment we don't have focus peaking, but 80% or 90% of users are asking for it. If we can successfully negotiate with the engineers, it will be possible.

Any easy feature requested by 80-90% of users should be non-negotiable! I've worked with lots of companies where the engineers regarded the marketers as idiots, but maybe at Panasonic it's the other way 'round.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to TomFid, Oct 12, 2012

TomFid wrote:

Panasonic: At this moment we don't have focus peaking, but 80% or 90% of users are asking for it. If we can successfully negotiate with the engineers, it will be possible.

Any easy feature requested by 80-90% of users should be non-negotiable! I've worked with lots of companies where the engineers regarded the marketers as idiots, but maybe at Panasonic it's the other way 'round.

I agree.

-- hide signature --

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,260
Like?
In reply to assaft, Oct 12, 2012

assaft wrote:

Unless patent issues are involved...

I find it hard to believe that there are any patent issues when Panasonic's video cameras have focus peaking.

NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Oct 12, 2012

Sean Nelson wrote:

assaft wrote:

Unless patent issues are involved...

I find it hard to believe that there are any patent issues when Panasonic's video cameras have focus peaking.

...If Apple hasn't use it - yet - on some of its gear...

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Best regards,
Pedro

Wasabi Bob
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

The interview you are referencing was strictly about the GH3. As far as I know, it does not apply to any other models. I think it will happen, in time.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Wasabi Bob, Oct 12, 2012

Wasabi Bob wrote:

The interview you are referencing was strictly about the GH3. As far as I know, it does not apply to any other models. I think it will happen, in time.

True, but I though that the last cameras have a similar processing engine that allows that. I hope they really made it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,713
Like?
Nex did it with a software upgrade

The original Nex 5 didn't have focus peaking. It was added when a firmware upgrade was made  available for the 5. It is not a new technology and has been used widely in other formats. I just can't see why every Oly and Pamasonic MILC can't have it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Nex did it with a software upgrade
In reply to Mike Fewster, Oct 12, 2012

Mike Fewster wrote:

The original Nex 5 didn't have focus peaking. It was added when a firmware upgrade was made  available for the 5. It is not a new technology and has been used widely in other formats. I just can't see why every Oly and Pamasonic MILC can't have it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

They will have soon, I believe in that after reading the interview.

-- hide signature --

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,394
Like?
Firmware 0.5 suggests....
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Oct 13, 2012

Maybe.  A couple sources reported that there was a new menu in the .5 firmware version that might suggest the addition of peaking.  Hardly definitive, but another 2 cents.

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,713
Like?
Re: Nex did it with a software upgrade

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

They will have soon, I believe in that after reading the interview.

-- hide signature --

I think you are right. It was one of the two features lacking that decided me on the Nex 5n and I'm still not sure that I made the right choice. That would have probably swung it.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Firmware 0.5 suggests....
In reply to amtberg, Oct 13, 2012

amtberg wrote:

Maybe.  A couple sources reported that there was a new menu in the .5 firmware version that might suggest the addition of peaking.  Hardly definitive, but another 2 cents.

Maybe that means, that in 1.0 it will have that feature.

-- hide signature --

Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
In reply to amtberg, Oct 13, 2012

amtberg wrote:

Where you got that information ?

Hope they put it on version 1.0.

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Panasonic: Possibly.

DE: A very similar question, and probably the same answer, relative to zebra stripes for showing overexposure. Same story there?

I was under the understanding that over/underexposure warnings in LIVEview ("blinkies") were an Olympus patent . . . is that wrong?

(http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/10/2/discussion-with-mr-terada.html)

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,260
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, Oct 13, 2012

tjuster1 wrote:

I was under the understanding that over/underexposure warnings in LIVEview ("blinkies") were an Olympus patent . . . is that wrong?

(http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/10/2/discussion-with-mr-terada.html)

Both my Panasonic video camera and my Pentax DSLR have overexposure zebra stripes / blinking pixels, so it doesn't seem as though there's any patent-related reason why the GH3 couldn't have them.

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,394
Like?
In reply to Photo Grapher, Oct 13, 2012

Photo Grapher wrote:

amtberg wrote:

Where you got that information ?

Hope they put it on version 1.0.

-- hide signature --

It's mentioned in the EOSHD update: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9109/for-the-curious-panasonic-gh3-updated-hardware-and-firmware-report

Specifically, he said:

"I noticed a dummy menu was now present containing around 3 or 4 manual focus assists. As the text on these menu options simply stated ‘dummy’ I have no idea exactly what Panasonic have in mind for these – but it raises the possibility that peaking might be one of them? I hope so."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads