Elinchrom D-Lite vs BXRi to go sets

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions
goodlucksdk
Regular MemberPosts: 404
Like?
Elinchrom D-Lite vs BXRi to go sets
Oct 12, 2012

I first bought the Elinchrom D-Lite kit and while it is great, I quickly realized I should have purchased the BXRi kit. The D-Lite kit is what Elinchrom advertises it to be, a beginners kit. B&H was kind enough to let me exchange the D-Lite for the BXRi set, so I have hands on experience with both kits now. The BXRi lights also are well described by Elinchrom as an entry pro level kit.

First question: Am I happy with my decision to exchange the D-Lite set for the BXRi set? Yes I am.

Here are the advantages of the BXRi that I find most important:

- The flash duration of the BXRi is about half that of the D-Lite. Pictures are much more crisp. It even helps when photographing a resting human model.

- The BXRi is a stronger build and one is less limited in using heavier light modifiers.

- One can assign different groups to different lights, then remote controlledly change their power setting and individually trigger them with the Skyport transmitter. This is very helpful when metering the lights and adjusting their power setting. With the D-Lite set the process was much more cumbersome.

- This might seem minor at first but I find it big: The transmitter that comes with the BXRi set can be fastened to the camera with a screw mechanism. The transmitter that comes with the D-Lite set cannot and the D-Lite transmitter always was in danger of falling off my camera.

- The recycle time of the BXRis seems much shorter to me.

- The built in fans in the BXRis are much quieter than those of the D-Lites.

Both the D-Lite and the BXRi lights tend to overheat during heavy use, despite that both have fans and might go into a protection mode from time to time.

The D-Lite 4 sets go for around 800 dollars online, while the BXRi sets go for around 1300 dollars. It is quite a difference in price I admit, but I recommend to everyone planning to buy the D-lites to heavily look into the BXRi lights before choosing. To me the BXRi lights are a solid investment that I believe will serve me well for a long time.

Bertie9
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Re: Elinchrom D-Lite vs BXRi to go sets
In reply to goodlucksdk, Oct 15, 2012

I have been comparing these kits. It is nice to read some one's first hand experience with both.

Thanks for posting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
In reply to goodlucksdk, Oct 15, 2012

I would also suggest looking into the einstein lights which seem to have better service and support as well as being more reliable and having a wider power range.

goodlucksdk
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, Oct 15, 2012

I do have an issue right now with the light stand bag missing in the kit as well as the power cables for the lights. I have been going forth and back with B&H for 3 weeks now. B&H said they contacted Elinchrom USA aka Manfrotto but Elinchrom has so far failed in sending me the missing parts. My impression is that Elinchrom is not cooperating with B&H.

Since then I had to buy my own power cables. By now B&H has reimbursed me for that expense, but the light stand bag is still missing. I have been a very satisfied customer of B&H so far, but this might take a bad turn very soon. I think B&H should send me a light stand bag out of their supplies at this point (which they have in stock according to their website) and charge Elinchrom aka Manfrotto for their expenses.

goodlucksdk
Like?
In reply to Bertie9, Oct 16, 2012

My recommendation is if you have the money, buy the BXRi. If you don't have the money yet, save until you can afford the BXRi. Also, if you can wait until December 2012 or January 2013 Elinchrom will be bringing out their BRX lights, the successors of the BXRi lights. For me personally the improvements for the BRX lights only have toy value and would not improve my photography.

Bertie9
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to goodlucksdk, Oct 16, 2012

I have checked out the einstein lights. I live in the UK, they don't offer the same price/performance ratio as in the US. They are impressive, but they are probably overkill for my needs. So I have discounted them as a serious option.

I am fairly confident that I will be purchasing a BXR/BXRi's kit. Just making sure they offer the best solution before pressing the button.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to goodlucksdk, Oct 17, 2012

Sounds good.  For product photography the D-lite 2 kit with soft-boxes works great.  The D-lite 4 kit would have been over kill for product stuff.  I would recommend for the $600 this kit for this purpose.

goodlucksdk
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Oct 17, 2012

That's a good point. Maybe for different purposes different kits are the right choice.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to goodlucksdk, Oct 17, 2012

I was going to get the D-lite 4 kit for $200 more but B&H sales person said it was overkill for my specific application.

Even if you don't buy from B&H its always good getting a salespersons knowledge even if you talk to three different ones.  Actually, the first one I spoke to recommended Lowel Hot lights. I am so glad I bought the Elienchrom and would do it again.

It also helps to give your purpose.  Basically they are only as good as the information you give and budget also will constrain the recommendations.  I do appreciate when a sales person says you can buy XYZ but the optimum method is XYZ if you can afford to do it.  Options for me are very helpful as well as what product is out there.

The next step up from Elinchrom strobes are Profoto which are serious pro stuff and Very nice, at least from what I can see!

goodlucksdk
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Oct 18, 2012

If you run into an honest and knowledgeable salesperson then they can be very helpful for your decision making. The problem is not all salespeople are honest and knowledgable. See here is my story I once went to a Sony store, just to get a look at 2 different TV models. I could not decide which one to buy. I admit I just wanted to see them, not bother anybody and then just buy the TV online. Somehow I got into a discussion with a sales person. He all along recommended the more expensive TV, until I just said hmm ok let me think it over but I gotta go now. He then to my surprise told me: "You know if I'm honest with you, you should buy the less expensive model. It has a larger screen and the picture quality differently from what Sony is claiming is just as good". I guess he realized I was just going to buy a TV online so he wanted to make sure I at least buy the right one. I thought that was actually a really cool move of him.

pekr
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?
In reply to goodlucksdk, Oct 18, 2012

The interesting thing is, that I can see many ppl using BXRi. I am in a process of building a studio, which will also server for the renting purposes. I was advised to go with the RX, the most powerfull line, but not sure, if it is necessary or not. BXRi has some features top RX line does not have. I can see some professionals using BXRi line, so I wonder, if I am about to waste money here, or not ...

btw - there is now new BXRi line, called BRX - it adds ability to drive the lights from the PC SW, as well as from iPad, as well as Wi-fi connection ...

Petr

dmbsurfer
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to pekr, Oct 18, 2012

the difference lies on the power and RX 600 recycles faster.

And btw, check out the new BRX that replaced BXRI, confusing eh?

-- hide signature --

Honesty is easy. Fiction is where true genius lies.

pekr
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?
In reply to dmbsurfer, Oct 18, 2012

dmbsurfer wrote:

-- hide signature --

Well, I know about new lineup, I even suggested it in one other thread. Elinchrom made some evel lower level entry lights, as well as upgraded BXRi with new wi-fi, PC SW manageability and iPad options - usefull, but mostly fancy stuff.

Well, I initially wanted BXRis too, but the reseller (which is also big studio owner) suggested me more robust RX line, as I want to rent my studio, and you never know, who's going to use the lights and how heavy the usage is going to be.

Well, I already decided about 3x RX600 intially, but I am also a beginner, so curious to know, if for my purposes the BXRi/BXR line would be just as fine as RX line ...

Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
In reply to dmbsurfer, Oct 18, 2012

dmbsurfer wrote:

puzzling that they chose not to address the low power setting where the einstein still has a huge advantage

goodlucksdk
Like?
In reply to pekr, Oct 18, 2012

The BRX are not available until roughly Dec-2012/Jan-2013. They are the successors of the BXRi. The housing, recycle times, flash duration and power are all the same. Only difference is firmware update option and ability to add full RX features/iphone/wifi capabilities by purchasing separate receiver. I might buy 2 BRX lights in addition to my already existing BXRi lights then, but I do not really expect any of those features to add value to the lights.

goodlucksdk
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, Oct 18, 2012

Maybe it would make the product more expensive I don't know, but it would make more sense to widen the power range than adding iphone capability.Elinchrom might want their customers buying their 250W models in addition to their 500W models, if they want low power. I do see why that would be a good deal for Elinchrom. Catch for Elinchrom of course is some people might buy the Einstein instead...

dmbsurfer
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
In reply to Jack A. Zucker, Oct 23, 2012

yeah, i think so. hmmm, perhaps someone needs to come up with a head to head comparison to make it easier for lazy a** like me.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads