My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions
Mouser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757Gear list
Like?
Re: My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.
In reply to kiri, Oct 12, 2012

kiri wrote:

Not terrible by any means. But I highly doubt I would ever use this lens/accessory, no matter how cheap it is.

f8 is just too limiting

It's supposed to be fun, isn't it?  And perhaps an interesting challenge to work with its limitations...?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for the tip...
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Oct 12, 2012

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

I'll try it out to see if that helps.

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Hi Chris,

Images seem a bit underexposed. I guess you have to shoot in A mode.

Could be. I really don't know. I'm not sure how it would make a difference since the camera does not detect an f stop, you get " -:- " on the screen in place of the aperture regardless of mode.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus O-MD E-M5, E-PL3, 12-50mm, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Like with legacy lenses, you have to set the camera to A. The camera will select the proper shutter speed. The exposure compensation can still be activated to lighten or darken the image.

I'm surprised that Olympus didn't add a couple of contacts, to set the EXIF f stop data.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Alternatively, you can pick up a safe shutter speed in Manual mode and set the camera to auto-ISO : this is the only case where I can see a use for auto-ISO.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh
Like?
In reply to klauspauk, Oct 12, 2012

Congratulation! You got some really nice pictures with it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mouser, Oct 12, 2012

Mouser wrote:

kiri wrote:

Not terrible by any means. But I highly doubt I would ever use this lens/accessory, no matter how cheap it is.

f8 is just too limiting

It's supposed to be fun, isn't it?  And perhaps an interesting challenge to work with its limitations...?

I think that's about the sum of it. It's not for purists or pixel peepers, it's for someone who enjoys a challenge and who will just concentrate on shooting something different or interesting with it, much like Holga users. For the price I don't think you can complain too much.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
rrr_hhh
Like?

You can see several examples of pictures and a short review/blog entry on this lens from Pekka Potka here :

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2012/10/8/olympus-15mm-f8-walking-the-dog-and-having-fun.html

On my iPad some of the pictures look pretty sharp, others less so. I think that he made a good show of what this lens can do and what it can't.

-- hide signature --

--
rrr_hhh

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,368Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm f2.5 vs 15mm f8 - that's just silly.
In reply to Henry Richardson, Oct 12, 2012

Henry Richardson wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Yes, the 15mm is cheap, but I can't see how I would possibly have any interest at all in it.  I got the 14mm f2.5 for $160 (new on ebay) and it is tiny.  Much better lens, almost same FL, much faster aperture that you can change, and fast AF.  I would recommend most people just save the money and use it towards the 14mm if you want a tiny lens.

The 15mm is quite unique - to think it would replace any other lens is a bit far fetched.  It's best feature is its size - but to think it will be the answer to pocketabiilty w/o considering the funky qualities and limitations is not thinking it through.

This would appeal more to those types that might want to try to use a body cap altered to make it a pinhole type lens.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +18 more
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,631Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm f2.5 vs 15mm f8 - that's just silly.
In reply to Bob Tullis, Oct 12, 2012

Chris,

I ordered one last nite from Amazon.jp. Plan on using it on my GF2, to make it pocketable. Guess I will put it at F8 and fire away, trying whatever 'art filters' are on the camera.

Thanks for starting this thread.

klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Oct 12, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

Congratulation! You got some really nice pictures with it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

I wish..

I found the link in another post about this lens.

It shows that a photographer still needs a creative mind and not always first class equipment.

klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,745Gear list
Like?

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Picked up the new Oly body cap lens last night. Today is the official release date in Japan (one weak late).

The good:

It's cheap.

It's by far the best body cap I've ever had.

It's better than Holga M4/3 lenses in the same price range.

The bad:

It's now officially the worst lens I own. No wonder Olympus list it under "accessories" rather than "lenses".

I haven't been using it long, but from what I can tell, 70-80% of my images are garbage.

Yep, looks like performs exactly in-line for what it is, which is a $49 body cap. For sure buyers need to go into this lens with realistic expectations. The 15mm focal length to me is somewhat unexciting in this format, especially given the maximum aperture. Someone wanting the physically small size AND performance need to just be paying the money for a lens that provides both, the Panasonic 14mm f2.5.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
ADSinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Oct 12, 2012

There are a number of large size images of and taken by the 15mm. They look pretty decent. Be aware that this site loads VERY slowly.

http://siammirrorless.com/board/index.php?topic=34.0

(cannot figure out how to make this link active)

alan.

-- hide signature --

www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Picked up the new Oly body cap lens last night. Today is the official release date in Japan (one weak late).

The good:

It's cheap.

It's by far the best body cap I've ever had.

It's better than Holga M4/3 lenses in the same price range.

The bad:

It's now officially the worst lens I own. No wonder Olympus list it under "accessories" rather than "lenses".

I haven't been using it long, but from what I can tell, 70-80% of my images are garbage.

First and foremost is focus. One issue, at least in my copy, is the amount of looseness/play between the "infinity" and "distant" mark. Close up shooting? Forget it. I haven't been able to get anything in focus using my E-PL3 (I have yet to mount it on my OM-D).

Fringing and distortion are all over the place.

Then there is the f8 setting. I seem to be getting a lot of camera shake (this I admit is more my fault for not paying attention to the lighting and keeping in mind I'm stuck at f8).

Basically, I can't see myself ditching my 17mm f2.8 for this. There isn't THAT much size difference to make up for all the issues.

The only way I can see myself using this is, perhaps, when shooting with art filter, particularly the grainy black and white one.

Oh well, it's a cheap. And it's one heck of a body cap.

Anyway, here are a few of the very few that shots that show this lenses passable results.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus O-MD E-M5, E-PL3, 12-50mm, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Right, okay !

-- hide signature --

Without the darkness the light would be nothing !

intensity studios
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
seems ok to me

the pics you posted don't look that terrible for a $50 lens. I see this more as a toy camera lens where you play around with it and embrace its flaws.

But I could be completely wrong because I don't own it.

-- hide signature --
 intensity studios's gear list:intensity studios's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Adobe Photoshop CS6 +4 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,082Gear list
Like?
For a moment...
In reply to Steve_, Oct 13, 2012

I was thinking you picked up the trailer for $160!

I guess it's been a long day

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
kiri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290
Like?
In reply to Mouser, Oct 13, 2012

Mouser wrote:

kiri wrote:

f8 is just too limiting

If I want a challenge, I can use my smartphonecamera

Don't get me wrong, I think its a great and innovative idea. But since I never carry my camera with just the body cap on, I think this thing would actually make me lose more shots because it would mean I waste time switching to a different lens when I want to take a shot. That's my perspective anyway.

I still think its a cool accessory. Just not a useful one (for me)

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, Oct 13, 2012

Like I've said before.  It's a gimp lens.  Do you really want to challenge yourself?  Get a lego camera.

Here is one from the 160$ panasonic 14mm

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, Oct 13, 2012

DonSantos wrote:

Like I've said before.  It's a gimp lens.  Do you really want to challenge yourself?  Get a lego camera.

Here's a 4x5 Lego camera with impressive sample picture:

http://carynorton.com/legotron-mark-i

http://carynorton.com/legotron-mark-i/ashleylegotron

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,276
Like?
value for money
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Oct 13, 2012

I am going to get it anyway.

For someone who likes shooting with a lensbaby occasionally, it seems like a fun thing to use.

My lensbaby composer is a lot bigger and more expensive, and its focal length (50mm approx.) is not as useful.

I don't care at all if this body cap lens distorts or whatever.

It will be (at least) a good way to carry the camera in one pocket and one good lens in another and still have the camera ready for the shot that just produces itself in a flash, in decent light.

-- hide signature --

/Roel Hendrickx/
lots of *images*: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field *report* from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

fabgo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
This is silly.

Talk about having high expectations...

The quality of the images you posted is excellent, for what it is. Way above what I expected from this gadget.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

ThomCull
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

I kind of like it, it has a very "Instagram" sort of feel to the focusing. It's cheesy and obviously more of a gimmicky fun accessory than anything. However I do like the photos

PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThomCull, Oct 13, 2012

For what it is, it is a great and fun lens.  People are out there paying $700 for 2 crap plastic Lensbabies, some adapters, and a plastic pouch.  An original equipment Oly regular cap is about  $7, B&H sells this for $50 with free shipping, so you are getting a novelty item for $43 instead of hundreds.   I can't understand what people are expecting from this item.  Zeiss WA performance?

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads