On my second D600: Broken diopter adjustment

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions
digital ed
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008Gear list
Like?
Re: Same issue here
In reply to Patrick Cox, May 16, 2013

Patrick Cox wrote:

I just received a new D600 from Adorama and my diopter adjustment does nothing.  I called Nikon and they said I could either send in for service or return. I will be returning/exchanging with Adorama tomorrow when they open.

Did you pull it out to adjust?

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: On my second D600: Broken diopter adjustment
In reply to mudakas, May 16, 2013

mudakas wrote:

If you get 2 bodies with diopter problems or 7 in a row with left far AF problem - it is time to switch to Canon

Who got seven cameras in a row with AF problems? Are they hallucinating?

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
In reply to digital ed, May 16, 2013

digital ed wrote:

Patrick Cox wrote:

I just received a new D600 from Adorama and my diopter adjustment does nothing.  I called Nikon and they said I could either send in for service or return. I will be returning/exchanging with Adorama tomorrow when they open.

The D600 doesn't need to be pulled like the D800. I guess the D600 is like my D300.

Patrick Cox
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
In reply to trend1, May 16, 2013

trend1 wrote:

digital ed wrote:

Patrick Cox wrote:

The D600 doesn't need to be pulled like the D800. I guess the D600 is like my D300.

OK, I wasn't sure what "pull it out" meant.  I rotated the wheel completely both directions and it had no impact on what was seen in the viewfinder.  I previously had a D7100 for a few days and it worked fine and I didn't need to pull out the wheel.  That would be great though if it was something like that so please advise if someone is aware.  Thanks.

Patrick Cox's gear list:Patrick Cox's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Motoyogi
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to hopster, Sep 5, 2013

hopster wrote:

The same thing has happened with TWO D600 bodies ... I was able to fix it my doing the following:

-rotate diopter dial to full +

-shake camera vigorously

-tap with your knuckle on or near the hot shoe, then reset diopter to your liking.

I kid you not, this worked on both bodies. Maybe it just stays "stuck" on full - diopter when assembled and needs to be shaken loose. Hope this works for you

I'm on my second D600. On the first, the diopter worked fine, but it had the oil/dust problem. On this, second, D600 the diopter did nothing out of the box. After doing what Hopster, above, said, my diopter worked. Unfortunately, this, second, camera also has the oil/dust problem. And this one is worse than the first. On the first one, the spots only showed up at f14 and smaller. On the second one, the spots show up through the full aperture range. Now to decide whether to send the camera back again, and wait another 10-14 days, or just clean the sensor. Any suggestions?

kevm14
Senior MemberPosts: 2,253
Like?
In reply to Motoyogi, Oct 12, 2013

I just posted in the Lens forum so I thought I'd check this thread.  Wow!  A bunch of folks having bad diopter adjustment wheels out of the box.  At least it's clear I wasn't making it up.  I cannot verify if shaking or whatever would have fixed the first two bodies but it DID take the third body to fix the issue.  I've had no other issues btw (other than oil, which has yet to be cleaned).

John Stark
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: Broken diopter adjustment? - try a fully charged camera battery
In reply to michaeladawson, Oct 30, 2013

I have had my D3200 for about a month now and had set the diopter adjustment at the outset so that the image in the optical viewfinder was in focus when the camera was focussed on the subject.  Today, I found that it was out of focus and I had to turn the diopter adjustment anticlockwise all the way to the limit.  At that point it was in focus again.  I wear glasses when I use the camera.

I thought this was rather strange so searched the internet for information on setting the diopter adjustment on Nikon cameras and found this thread.

The only thing I could think of was to put in a fresh battery.  The one in the camera was showing only one bar but was still capable of taking photos (even with flash).  However, once I put the fresh battery in, the viewfinder (with the diopter wound all the way to one end) was out of focus again and had to be turned clockwise just over half-way to get the focus back.  That's how it should be (and how it was when the camera was new).

So, if you are having problems with the diopter adjustment, my suggestion would be to charge the camera battery or put a freshly charge battery in (you have a spare one don't you!!).

Perhaps the issues with the new D600 diopter adjustment might have been caused by the purchaser being too keen to try the camera out and not charging the camera battery before use?

-- hide signature --

John Stark, Nelson, NZ
Fujifilm MX700, S602z, Z33WP, XP150, S9500
Nikon D3200 twin lens kit, SB-400

Ezee1
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to kevm14, Nov 1, 2013

I just got my new D610 took it out of the box installed a fully charged battery and set up the date and time and proceeded to test camera. The viewfinder was blurry for my eyes so went to adjust the Diopter  but nothing happens wheel turns and clicks but no adjustment. This must be another D600 D610 problem. I have lost faith in anything that's made in china. I may have to move to the d800 I think that's made in Japan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads