Here's how to make downvoting work: emulate Stack Exchange

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions
Matthew Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
Here's how to make downvoting work: emulate Stack Exchange
Oct 11, 2012

The Stack Exchange QA sites have the concept of "reputation", which is a score you get by having good questions or answers voted up by others. They also have downvoting, which reduces the recipient's reputation — but the key thing that makes it work is that downvotes also cost the downvoter. You can (and people do) vote down bad information, but there's a cost.

If you don't have enough reputation — a simple representation of credibility built up through good posts — you can't downvote at all. In fact, you have to have a minimal reputation to even vote up (which prevents abuse of the system).

If we're going to have downvoting here, we should emulate that.

-- hide signature --

Matthew Miller « http://mattdm.org/ »

Matthew Miller's gear list:Matthew Miller's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited
Simon Joinson
dpreview AdminPosts: 4,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's how to make downvoting work: emulate Stack Exchange
In reply to Matthew Miller, Oct 11, 2012

Matthew Miller wrote:

The Stack Exchange QA sites have the concept of "reputation", which is a score you get by having good questions or answers voted up by others. They also have downvoting, which reduces the recipient's reputation — but the key thing that makes it work is that downvotes also cost the downvoter. You can (and people do) vote down bad information, but there's a cost.

If you don't have enough reputation — a simple representation of credibility built up through good posts — you can't downvote at all. In fact, you have to have a minimal reputation to even vote up (which prevents abuse of the system).

-- hide signature --

Matthew Miller « http://mattdm.org/ »

this is actually similar to what we're planning

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610Gear list
Like?

Sounds like a very good implementation.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon ~7D~ 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,594
Like?

Matthew Miller wrote:

I had not heard of that before.  A very good ideal. Thank you for sharing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads