I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and there is a big spec of dust inside do I return this ?

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Questions
DSLRShutterBug
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and there is a big spec of dust inside do I return this ?
Oct 9, 2012

See the pictures of the lens here:
I just bought a spankin Brand New Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and there is a big spec of dust inside the space of the first front lens element (or apparently big because of the magnification of the lens). Mind you I'm very a***l about my lenses being perfect; I just returned a sigma 70-200mm back to amazon so I could get the more ridiculously expensive Nikkor lens. I'm trying not to lose my mind here over small things.....Would it just fall out eventually (I'm only assuming dust goes in and out of the lens with regular use)? does it really matter ? Do you think this would become an issue in the long term, should I return it to Amazon or have it serviced by Nikon in the future? I'm very disappointed in Nikon...(Is it that they dont care about being stringent or is it too trivial of a thing?) http://www.anthonymickealphotography.com/nikon-af-s-70-200mm-f28-vrii.html
I wonder why things like this drive me mad.....
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Tony5787
Regular MemberPosts: 266Gear list
Like?
Re: I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens...
In reply to DSLRShutterBug, Oct 9, 2012

This happens to lenses eventually but it seems odd to have it there from the start. If it were me I would return it only since it was a brand new lens but if it were used I wouldn't mind.

Tony5787's gear list:Tony5787's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,318
Like?
Send it back.

It's not you. It's just another case of a lens that got through QC. Perhaps the dust wasn't even visible at QC time and it got moved around in shipping. Good that you "spotted" it.

If you want to deal with mail order, then that's just the way it is (at times). Perhaps you received someone else's returned copy because it went back to stock to become part of the bad copy roulette game.

If you send it in to Nikon Service (these days), who knows what could happen to it. You could end up with even more dust and some new scratches. They don't charge for adding scratches.

I would send it back an ask your vendor to send you a lens that is not someone else's returned item.

Good luck in your quest for getting a "good" product. Hope this helps in some way.

Wayne

SRS_Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and there is

YES! You paid big bucks, you want to have a PERFECT ONE!

SRS_Photography's gear list:SRS_Photography's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
aldel
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Re: I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and there is
In reply to SRS_Photography, Oct 9, 2012

I don't think you have a problem. Look up nikon website and you will info about this.

There was originally many posts by people complaining about silvery specks inside.

The lens much magnifies them but they are just tiny reflecting bits in the alloy body.

I have a nunber in mine and it has no affect on shots at all.

aldel's gear list:aldel's gear list
Nikon D800
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Re: I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 etc.

I'm not recommending this but I've removed dust by actuating the zoom mechanism whilst holding a household vacuum a couple of inces from the open mount.

There's a chance that your dust spot is highly mobile and will move if you zoom the lens. Having a vacuum nearby might remove it from the tube altogether. As I say, it worked for me. I held the aperture fully open to prevent any strain on the blades.

(this was on a 24-120/4 so the pump helped me, I just let the vacuum close the lens and I extended it again. These new toys are never pristine for long, and it won't impact yr images but I totally feel your immense pain! I have never stumped up for a 70-200 and it's the lens I've most often wanted)

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
Hermy
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't mess around.
In reply to Chas P, Oct 9, 2012

Don't listen to these guys that do weirds thing to new lenses, you paid big bucks for this lens, take it right back and demand a new one., there shouldn't be a speck of anything on these new lens, at least I've never seen one.

Hermy's gear list:Hermy's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
riceboy2010
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Just return it and exchange for another one

Just return it.  I also bought a 70-200VR2 from other online store few months back.  The first one they sent had a large black dust/particle in the rear lens element when you looked straight from rear.  The second one they sent had no observable particle when I looked straight from either front or rear lens.  Just don't go aXXl if you see any tiny fine fiber/dust looking from an angle.  Similar thing happened when I bought my 16-35.  Returned it and exchanged for another one.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Just a beginner.

cardiacpatch
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Return it!

Hey there!

I had a similar experience ...

What I thought was a speck of dust turned out to be a crack inside the lens.

I noticed this only between 70-80mm when the lenses inside were 'close together'. On zoom past 80mm, the 'crack' was less obvious.

I would return it for a BRAND NEW lens.

Hope this helps.

cardiacpatch's gear list:cardiacpatch's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM +7 more
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
making a mountain out of a molehill?

how does it affect image quality? does it affect image quality at all?

you know, these things are intended to be used for making photos, not obsessive visual inspection.

it is well established that small imperfections in or on the front element will have no effect on image quality.

Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: I just bought a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and there is a big spec of dust
In reply to DSLRShutterBug, Oct 11, 2012

You're not going to get a good night's sleep until you return it.  That little spect will strart growing and be the size of a marble in a couple of weeks.

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
bagginsbill
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Dust?
drxcm
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: Dust?
In reply to bagginsbill, Oct 11, 2012

Had the same thing with my new 85mm 1.4G - dealer swapped it for a new one without hesitation.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,425Gear list
Like?
Re: there is a big spec of dust inside

It might seem an odd comment, but is the dust spec inside the lens?

The reason for asking was the last time I was in Africa, with no electric power where I was at night, I was using a torch at a low angle to help clean my 70-200 mk II front element. Every spec of dust on the outside of the front element was reflecting off internal surfaces - both apparent sources of dust were removed by using a rocket blower on the front element.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads