NEW 1Dx owner has settings questions

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions
Jam
Jam
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
NEW 1Dx owner has settings questions
Oct 9, 2012

So I'm a new 1dx owner (as of last night)

I plan on spending time  tonight and tomorrow to setup the body for ME.  I plan on making all the appropriate settings changes to accommodate my photo style but I know many people have already been doing this…

So, my questions is – Is there somewhere on the web that breaks down the best settings to use.

I know everyone/everystyle deserves a different setting arrangement – but I'm wondering if there is a standard that I should start with to make the body most successful.

Thanks

Jam

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy Blanchard
Contributing MemberPosts: 958
Like?
Re: NEW 1Dx owner has settings questions
In reply to Jam, Oct 9, 2012

You would do worse than to start on Canon Europe's CPN website (or the US equivalent, if you prefer).  There are plenty of tutorials and technical articles (look at the related links section) that explain the features of the camera, including a downloadable guide to the new AF system which is definitely worth a read.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KAllen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,740Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jam, Oct 10, 2012

Jam wrote:

So I'm a new 1dx owner (as of last night)

I plan on spending time  tonight and tomorrow to setup the body for ME.  I plan on making all the appropriate settings changes to accommodate my photo style but I know many people have already been doing this…

So, my questions is – Is there somewhere on the web that breaks down the best settings to use.

I know everyone/everystyle deserves a different setting arrangement – but I'm wondering if there is a standard that I should start with to make the body most successful.

Thanks

Jam

I got my X shot with it solidly on jobs for two days before having time to look at the manual.

Other than knowing the AF settings inside out (and I don't) it's just a camera.

I know I shoot only raw, so I set it for raw mirrored to the second card. I know the shutter speeds for my work I need so I set it to Tv, I know what iso I parameters I like so I set accordingly.

I don't use DPP as my main processor, so no need to bother with lens correction, optimum light enhancer etc besides it can be set afterwards if you do use raw and DPP.

One quick observation regarding DPP and Photoshop, DPP handles shadow noise better straight from download.

The 1D X is just like any camera gone before it, you have four settings that matter, film/sensor iso, aperture, shutter speed and focus. anything else is just fine tuning or a bloody pita.

Kevin.

Jam
Jam
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
In reply to KAllen, Oct 10, 2012

yup - eveyones settings are going to be different - and yup the camera is still a camera....

I just thought that someone has probably gone through the effort to determine what might be better - like the button assignment, then other way's.  And instead of me trying to figure it all out, I'd at least have a starting point.  Like don't assign x feature to y button because it's kinda difficult to reach and you may not be able to use it in an "emergency" --- stuff like that.

Thanks

rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jam, Oct 11, 2012

Everything right out of the camera is set nicely and you will likely only change a few options if any.  I would go through the entire manual to figure it all out.

My Menu is set to 1. Spot Meter linked to AF point (on) 2. AF mode (quick) 3. ISO settings, 4. Auto Lighting Optimizer (on) 5. Highlight Tone Priority (off)  6. Communications settings

I am shooting RAW and JPEG (AWB, Faithful) at the largest sizes.  Rarely do I need to use the RAW over the JPEG.

I enabled the silent movie controls but have not shot any video yet.

I set AF AI Server 1st and 2nd image priority to focus priority, it will not take a shot until in focus.

EOS iTR AF ON, selectable AF points ALL, Spot meter linked to AF pt., Shutter release time lag to shortened (I'm usually within 2 stops of wide open)

Once you have your basic settings, you can set M, Av, Tv and save them as alternate cameras 1-3.

I left all the configurable buttons as default....for now.

I had a couple notes on flash usage, I have no solution

1. Don't use the flash in Av mode.  It meters the shutter speed to the background, so if it's dark the shutter will be very long.

2. The flash auto-assist beam will not come on when shooting Servo.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
QUINN03
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to Jam, Oct 11, 2012

Jam,   I shoot sports and wildlife (mainly birds in flight). I am going to touch on some button customizations that I feel will benefit everyone, regardless of what they shoot. These button customizations allow you to make extreme changes very quickly, helping you get "the shot",or just save some time in making adjustments.

1. multi function button 2 has been set to switch between AI servo and one shot AF. This is for when                    static objects start to move or vice versa.

2. M-Fn button is set to scroll from your current shooting mode through any of the custom shooting  modes you have registered. This is awesome for changing shooting modes, by just pressing one button. The sky is the limit on the custom shooting modes you can change just about anything. you can go from 61 point, AI-Servo, high speed continuous drive, auto ISO, metering linked to AF point..... to any other 2 shooting modes you can dream up. one for sports, one for wildlife, and one for portraits.

3. my "set" button is set so when it is held in the ISO speed can be changed with the main dial during metering. This is great for when you are in manual mode with a shutter speed and aperture set  and you want to change the exposure by changing the ISO speed. The change happens while metering, so you can see the exposure meter change as the ISO changes.

4. I put "set aperture range" & "set Shutter speed range" in my menu, so I can set those limits when using AV or TV mode with ISO safety shift.

The clean high ISO speeds allow you lots of freedom with safety shift and auto ISO if you are encountering lots of changes in lighting.

Just my $.02, hope it helps.

rbarta
Like?
In reply to rbarta, Oct 11, 2012

rbarta wrote:

1. Don't use the flash in Av mode.  It meters the shutter speed to the background, so if it's dark the shutter will be very long.

I just solved this by putting Flash sync in Av Mode (in the External Speedlight Control sub-menu) setting to 1/250.

Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
rbarta
Like?

Also, I set the auto-ISO range to 50-12800 and the min shutter speed in auto-ISO to 1/250 (the fastest available)

p4pictures
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?

rbarta wrote:

rbarta wrote:

I just solved this by putting Flash sync in Av Mode (in the External Speedlight Control sub-menu) setting to 1/250.

Note that if you use Av mode with this function set, you also disable High Speed Sync in Av mode.

In essence the three settings available for shutter speed in Av mode are better explained as

Auto - shutter speed to correctly expose the ambient from 30s to sync speed or higher if HSS is on

1/60s - 1/250s - work like P mode, fill-in flash in reasonable light, give up on the ambient in the dark. HSS disabled

1/250s - work like manual with a fixed shutter speed, HSS disabled

I've just spend two days in Dublin teaching sports / news photographers how to set-up EOS-1D X cameras properly.

p4pictures's gear list:p4pictures's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +11 more
Shazza2014
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to p4pictures, 10 months ago

How do I set the HSS on the 1DX? The manual is confusing...

superlucifer
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shazza2014, 10 months ago

Shazza2014 wrote:

How do I set the HSS on the 1DX? The manual is confusing...

In Settings go to C..Fn3:Drive

Press SET on Continuous shooting speed. Set your speed there.

-- hide signature --

Read my bullet!

superlucifer's gear list:superlucifer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Philippe R
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
In reply to QUINN03, 10 months ago

QUINN03 wrote:

Jam, I shoot sports and wildlife (mainly birds in flight). I am going to touch on some button customizations that I feel will benefit everyone, regardless of what they shoot. These button customizations allow you to make extreme changes very quickly, helping you get "the shot",or just save some time in making adjustments.

1. multi function button 2 has been set to switch between AI servo and one shot AF. This is for when static objects start to move or vice versa.

2. M-Fn button is set to scroll from your current shooting mode through any of the custom shooting modes you have registered. This is awesome for changing shooting modes, by just pressing one button. The sky is the limit on the custom shooting modes you can change just about anything. you can go from 61 point, AI-Servo, high speed continuous drive, auto ISO, metering linked to AF point..... to any other 2 shooting modes you can dream up. one for sports, one for wildlife, and one for portraits.

3. my "set" button is set so when it is held in the ISO speed can be changed with the main dial during metering. This is great for when you are in manual mode with a shutter speed and aperture set and you want to change the exposure by changing the ISO speed. The change happens while metering, so you can see the exposure meter change as the ISO changes.

4. I put "set aperture range" & "set Shutter speed range" in my menu, so I can set those limits when using AV or TV mode with ISO safety shift.

The clean high ISO speeds allow you lots of freedom with safety shift and auto ISO if you are encountering lots of changes in lighting.

Just my $.02, hope it helps.

+1

-- hide signature --

Phil (Nice, FR)
www.pbase.com/webman06
www.eosdslr.com

Philippe R's gear list:Philippe R's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS-1D X +45 more
Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jam, 10 months ago

Like a lot of guys here I set my multi-controlller to select the AF point, still need to push the shutter half way to activate, but for me it's ok.

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot S400 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
Megalouis
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to KAllen, 5 months ago

KAllen wrote:

I know I shoot only raw, so I set it for raw mirrored to the second card.

Hi, I am also new, where did you go in the settings to set 1dx to save jpeg to one CF card and the raw images to the other CF card?

apersson850
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?
In reply to Megalouis, 5 months ago

The very first yellow menu item.

-- hide signature --

Anders

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads