5D MKII or MKIII

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Questions
leegoodwin
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
5D MKII or MKIII
Oct 9, 2012

I have a Canon 5DMKII which has developed a bad case of sensor rot (water spots on the sensor or the filter in front of the sensor).  I am thinking that I need a backup camera in case it is not practical or too expenseive to fix this problem.  My question is whether I should get a 5DMKII for $1800 or a 5DMKIII for $3500?  I shoot almost exclusively landscape photographs, so lots of the upgrades in the 5DMKIII don't seem relevant to me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
5D2
In reply to leegoodwin, Oct 9, 2012

The 5D2 for $1799 is a great deal right now.  I think B&H is offering it at that price through October 27.  If the majority of what you shoot is landscapes, I don't see why you would want to spend $3,500 on a 5D3.  That $1,700 savings could buy some serious equipment or lenses (or just save it).

There definitely are a lot of upgrades on the 5D3 but I just don't know if they would be upgrades you would use that much for landscape photography.

I'd get the 5D2....

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
curlyone
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Re: 5D MKII or MKIII
In reply to leegoodwin, Oct 10, 2012

5DMK3   can be bought for less than $3000 ,shop a round.

tip,  look at  DWI  website ,I have bought from them lots of times,

never had a problem, all parcels very well boxed and sealed.

The mk2  has nothing  on the mk3,    its like night & day.

ElanToXT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?

Get a Mark III.  If you don't need one immediately, you can get the body for about $2,800 when Beach Camera or Buydig (even Adorama) have their sale for that price.  Assuming you are in US of course.

-- hide signature --
 ElanToXT's gear list:ElanToXT's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
5d2

leegoodwin wrote:

My question is whether I should get a 5DMKII for $1800 or a 5DMKIII for $3500?  I shoot almost exclusively landscape photographs, so lots of the upgrades in the 5DMKIII don't seem relevant to me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If all you shoot are landscapes, then a 5D2 would be the most practical option.

mrahmo
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
 mrahmo's gear list:mrahmo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,299
Like?

5D2.

I have both, for landscape only, 5D3 offers no advantage over 5D2.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Knipser63
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?

leegoodwin wrote:

I shoot almost exclusively landscape photographs, so lots of the upgrades in the 5DMKIII don't seem relevant to me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No question - 5D2. I bought mine in July this year and still happy with the choice: easy to handle, RAW-files are really good with lot's of headroom. Coming from Nikon I was a bit afraid of loosing quality in wideangle but even my 17-40 is a good choice. I would invest more money in lenses, bodies can be exchanged every year and there is always this big marketing-machinery working hard to tell you why you need the newest technique, sensor, autofocus, etc....Quite a lot of people are deeply influenced by this, gearheads though. Take a look at flickr or whatever, search for landscapes being done with 5DII and you may be convinced.....

Good luck!

dnral
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knipser63, Oct 10, 2012

I saw a 5DII on Craig's list for $1,300. Beach Camera had the 5DII kit with the Pixma printer for $2,200 after rebate and I bought one for a second camera to my 5DIII.

If you wait too long, the new production 5DII will be gone but you should be able to find a used one fairly cheap in the future, especially when the 6D is available.

Both cameras take great photos.  I saw a big screen movie that was filmed with the 5DII and I would never have known unless I had heard about it in the news prior to seeing it.  Great quality.

Cameras are pretty much at their peak with very marginal increases in photo quality (emphasis added as to printed output) for their much added prices (or not so much considering inflation).

Only your ego will tell you that the 5DII is an inferior camera.  There may be some justification for spending $1,500 more on a 5DIII, but the 5DII photo is as good as it needs to be for 99% of photographers when it comes to photo quality as a whole.

David

dnral's gear list:dnral's gear list
Canon PowerShot D20 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +11 more
Kmccarthy
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to dnral, Oct 10, 2012

If you can wait a couple months, you might want to consider the 6D. It sounds like it will be optimized for travel and landscape shotters.

Quintin Lake
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?

I'd go for MkII. I saw no reason to upgrade to MKIII  for shooting landscape and architecture. 6D may prove to be interesting if its better or equal IQ to MkII

-- hide signature --
 Quintin Lake's gear list:Quintin Lake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +7 more
Saturoldan
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
I had to take the same decision…
In reply to leegoodwin, Oct 11, 2012

…as a nature photographer. I wanted a FF camera that complement my 1DIV for landscapes. In my opinion, 5D3 is only a need if you:

-do low light or night landscapes

-work on harsh environments

-don´t trust on a single memory card

-finally plan to use the camera for other purposes.

5D3 improves almost every aspect over 5D2, but it´s a lot of money to pay. If you do mainly landscapes with base ISO with the assumptions I told before, you can save up the money and buy a luminous and sharp lens, and you won´t miss anything. 5D2 vs 6D? I would wait to see the IQ tests and decide.

But if you need (I mean,  you really need) any of the things listed before, you will have to do a sincere inside  job and decide.

-- hide signature --

...With the birds I'll Share This Lonely View...
www.naturalezaenpausa.com

Rosswilliam
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

There is I am told a saying 'if it is not broken, do not fix it'. You are well familiar with the MKII; the additional benefits  ('features' are useless if not employed) may not become apparent to you for some time. I use both but I ensure I take the III if I am attending (something akin to) a golf tournament or motor sport, because of the fps options.

R

Melbourne. Australia

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Neither

If you need a camera for landscapes, why not get D800/D800e or at least D600? Unless:

* You are heavily invested in Canon

* You prefer lenses unavailable from Nikon

* You use manual focus lenses like Zeiss ZE and dislike the interpolated LV of D800

* You take photos of people and prefer Canon skin tones

Otherwise get 6D and let 5D2 RIP...

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,376Gear list
Like?
Yea, even Art Wolfe thinks Canon sucks!
In reply to Press Correspondent, Oct 13, 2012

Press Correspondent wrote:

If you need a camera for landscapes, why not get D800/D800e or at least D600? Unless:

* You use manual focus lenses like Zeiss ZE and dislike the interpolated LV of D800

Art Wolfe aint switching, and if he can keep doing what he does with a 5DIII, then I think 99.999% of the people on these forums don't need a D800/D600 either.

To think that switching to Nikon is going to make you a Photo God is idiocy. Better off selling your cameras and buying a rebel kit with 18-55 and investing in a workshop. Just sayin'

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Yea, even Art Wolfe thinks Canon sucks!
In reply to Qwntm, Oct 14, 2012

Qwntm wrote:

Press Correspondent wrote:

Art Wolfe aint switching, and if he can keep doing what he does with a 5DIII, then I think 99.999% of the people on these forums don't need a D800/D600 either.

To think that switching to Nikon is going to make you a Photo God is idiocy. Better off selling your cameras and buying a rebel kit with 18-55 and investing in a workshop. Just sayin'

Art Wolfe is fine. You shouldn't worry about him. You should worry about  yourself.

Seriously, every tool has its strengths and weaknesses. Landscapes go to Nikon; people - to Canon. I shoot both types of subjects, so 5D3 seems the best upgrade for me personally.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Nafees A Bazmi
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: Yea, even Art Wolfe thinks Canon sucks!
In reply to Press Correspondent, Oct 15, 2012

5Dm3 is a Giant !!!

no much use of heck of MP on a FF sensor as D800/E

-- hide signature --

nBazmi

Nafees A Bazmi's gear list:Nafees A Bazmi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads