Hands-On Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm OSS images & other E-Mount Lens

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions
webgeek
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?
Hands-On Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm OSS images & other E-Mount Lens
Oct 9, 2012

I got a Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 loaner from Sony Vietnam for two days and here are some real-life images. In this series I also use the NEX-6 with my existing E-Mount lens to see how it worked, so the images are mixed. All images are JPEG & Hand-held. I hope the EXIF show which lens is which. Here are the lens I used, 16-50mm OSS, 50 1.8, 30 3.5 Macro, CZ 24mm 1.8, Lietz 90mm f/4.0 Manual Focus with Focus Peaking.

Overall, the images are very nice, on par with my NEX-7. The noise is a bit better since it is 16mpx. The camera worked well with all lens. The 16-50mm lens is sweet and cover a better range than my old 18-55mm kit (which I sold). The dynamic range of NEX-6 is pretty nice and detailed. The colors and white balance is spot on. I use it on Auo-White-Balance. I did not test the Hybrid AF, so sorry on that. After two days of shooting, however, I preferred my NEX-7 because I can operate much quicker with the Tri-Navi controls dials. I love the fact that I can see the histogram with the EV compensation in real-time. With the NEX-6 when you do EV compensation, it is two button push-and-rotate and you cannot see the histogram to judge your compensation.

There is one aspect of the NEX-6 that I love, is that I can hand-held and shoot 3 images with +-5EV aparts. This is great for hand-held HDR which I do often. I hope NEX-7 will update firmware to give this same feature. In return, I cannot do my wireless flash like how I do it on my NEX-7.

Feel free to ask me any question. As it is still fresh in my minds. Will I buy this camera to as a second body to my setup. Yes without a doubt. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!! Make sure you buy the 16-50mm kit lens too, as this lens is pretty excellent for a kit, and I have used many kit lens before

I have used all NEX series for the last 4 years since the original NEX-5 and find it slowly getting better with features and lens as well.. I love the system...

JUST TO CLARIFY ... I don't work for Sony and they never gave me anything. I just know a person inside and he always let me test the new equipments. I am waiting to test the new 10-18mm f/4.0 OSS and 35mm f/1.8 OSS

Hope this helps...

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 288Gear list
Like?
Re: Hands-On Sony NEX-6 & 16-50mm OSS images & other E-Mount Lens
In reply to webgeek, Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the great pics. I'm looking forward to that PZ coming out more than the camera, I am happy using the 5n I bought for my girlfriend but the 7 or its successor will be where it's at.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jabba23, Oct 9, 2012

your killing me and gonna make me buy one, maybe. I'm concerned with performance (writing to card), shot to shot times and focus locking in darker environments. Can you tell me anything about that?

martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 950Gear list
Like?

Some great photos in there - which could have all been taken with most of our existing setups.

However, the powerzoom is something I'm considering picking up second hand in the future. I decided not to bother with the NEX-6 for the reasons you've mentioned above. The tri-navi is more important to me, and though there may be some noise, I love the sensor on the NEX-7, and its all-magnesium body.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
S.A.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

Thanks for the pics. Looks great I think.

Now my question. Why do you say you can't do wireless flash on the NEX 6 like you do on your NEX 7?

TonyCu
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting these helpful images. Just one note, Sony has perhaps been a bit slow to come up with a pancake zoom, but not as slow as you suggest.

> I have used all NEX series for the last 4 years since the original NEX-5.

The NEX system was announced in spring 2010, but not many people had a NEX-5 until summer 2010 if I remember correctly.

-- hide signature --

TonyC

TonyCu's gear list:TonyCu's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,677
Like?
re: is there a way to disable HDAF on the N6 ???

webgeek wrote:

I did not test the Hybrid AF, so sorry on that.

how did you disable it, so all shots were done without PDAF?? And while speaking of HDAF - how was it possible that you were able to curb your curiosity of the one [if not the most] of potentially strongest selling fortes of the N6??? ,

jpr2

timewaster
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Oct 9, 2012

great pics!

can you confirm the nex6 does not have a touchscreen?

V1V1D
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
Re: re: is there a way to disable HDAF on the N6 ???
In reply to jpr2, Oct 9, 2012

jpr2 wrote:

webgeek wrote:

how did you disable it, so all shots were done without PDAF?? And while speaking of HDAF - how was it possible that you were able to curb your curiosity of the one [if not the most] of potentially strongest selling fortes of the N6??? ,

jpr2

+1. That, and does it give you that big green box in darker environments? My wife decided against the A77 in favor of this camera but those are pretty important factors I think everyone would like to know. Please advise if possible.

V1V1D's gear list:V1V1D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
In reply to V1V1D, Oct 9, 2012

The most important piece of information everyone seems to be wondering about is the hybrid AF system.  It's unfortunate you had the lenses and were able to use it for quite a while (all of the shots are really great btw) but didn't notice whether it was quicker.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
webgeek
Like?
In reply to V1V1D, Oct 9, 2012

V1V1D wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

webgeek wrote:

jpr2

+1. That, and does it give you that big green box in darker environments? My wife decided against the A77 in favor of this camera but those are pretty important factors I think everyone would like to know. Please advise if possible.

Yes, you can turn OFF the Phase Detect Auto Focus. It is in the menu. I actually turn it off, because I wanted to compare against my NEX-7. When you turn it on, there are many green square boxes overlay with the traditional Contrast Detect AF, so I did not like it. I turn it off.

webgeek
Like?

Jabba23 wrote:

Thanks for the great pics. I'm looking forward to that PZ coming out more than the camera, I am happy using the 5n I bought for my girlfriend but the 7 or its successor will be where it's at.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Hi Darren;

The new 16-50mm OSS lens is a sweet kit lens. However, if you buy it separate then it will cost a lot more ($350) but if you buy with the NEX-6 as a kit the whole thing is $1000. I think getting the NEX-6 for $650 is very cheap...

webgeek
Like?

Jabba23 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Hi Darren;

The new 16-50mm OSS lens is a sweet kit lens. However, if you buy it separate then it will cost a lot more ($350) but if you buy with the NEX-6 as a kit the whole thing is $1000. I think getting the NEX-6 for $650 is very cheap...

webgeek
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, Oct 9, 2012

Robert Garcia NYC wrote:

your killing me and gonna make me buy one, maybe. I'm concerned with performance (writing to card), shot to shot times and focus locking in darker environments. Can you tell me anything about that?

Hi Robert;

Most of the shot are in a very dark temple as you can see. The AF in these dark environment is not easy and the NEX-6 and NEX-7 does a great job, as well as my Canon 5D Mark II. So I have no problem with focus locking in dark environment. Actually the AF assist lamps are wonderful, I think it helps a lot in this situation too. Writing to card is a bit slow on my Transcend, but when I use my SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mbs / 45mbs it seems very quick and I actually test the 10 fps shoot mode and it worked. So I suggest buy the best and fast SD cards and you will enjoy the camera.

webgeek
Like?
In reply to pmow, Oct 9, 2012

pmow wrote:

The most important piece of information everyone seems to be wondering about is the hybrid AF system.  It's unfortunate you had the lenses and were able to use it for quite a while (all of the shots are really great btw) but didn't notice whether it was quicker.

No, don't get me wrong the Hybrid AF is quick and I did notice this, but only on the new 16-50mm OSS lens since the other E-Mount lens are not supported in the NEX-6 firmware. So I turn it off, as it is a bit distracting to me in the EVF.

webgeek
Like?
In reply to timewaster, Oct 9, 2012

timewaster wrote:

great pics!

can you confirm the nex6 does not have a touchscreen?

Confirm, it does not have touch screen. My wife NEX-5N does... Also, the new NEX-5R does. The reason is that Sony decided to keep touch-screen only on the model that does not have EVF and I think that makes sense. I use the EVF and can change everything while having my eyes in the viewfinder. I would not need to use touch-screen where I have to lower the camera and stretch the arms.

I think Sony made a good point here and I actually agreed with their decision to keep it out of the NEX-7 & NEX-6

webgeek
Like?
In reply to TonyCu, Oct 9, 2012

TonyCu wrote:

Thanks for posting these helpful images. Just one note, Sony has perhaps been a bit slow to come up with a pancake zoom, but not as slow as you suggest.

> I have used all NEX series for the last 4 years since the original NEX-5.

The NEX system was announced in spring 2010, but not many people had a NEX-5 until summer 2010 if I remember correctly.

-- hide signature --

TonyC

Thanks TonyC for the correction. I bought the NEX-5 a long time ago and it seems like 4 years, must be 3 years then...

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?

Thank you, this looks and sounds really promising. One question, since you also have the NEX7: Is the handgrip of the same material for both cameras? I ask because it went lose on my NEX7 and I hope they improved that. Thanks again.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +10 more
webgeek
Like?
In reply to Dirk W, Oct 9, 2012

Dirk W wrote:

Thank you, this looks and sounds really promising. One question, since you also have the NEX7: Is the handgrip of the same material for both cameras? I ask because it went lose on my NEX7 and I hope they improved that. Thanks again.

Good questions. I actually did look at this too, since my NEX-7 rubber begins to come loose and I have to super-glued it back in certain corners.

The body of the NEX-6 is surprisingly good to hold, not cheap plastic feel. It is made of quality carbon. It was the first impression when I hold it was "It Feel Really Good and on par with the All-Metal NEX-7" I am impress with the body. The rubber molding also seems better and thicker with a good feel and firm grip. I can say they made improvement in this body and rubber coating.

webgeek
Like?
In reply to Dirk W, Oct 9, 2012

Dirk W wrote:

My wife likes it. But her first reaction was it is heavier than her NEX-5N. But after she test shoot my daughter she likes the EVF right away and that is the reason why I sold the NEX-5N and will buy this kit for her as well as for me as a second body on trips.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads