Help: SX50 Digital Zoom

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
Oct 9, 2012

Here's my problem. In the Menu, on the Camera tab, the second option is "Digital Zoom."

I have set Digital Zoom to "Off."

Only now, I can't find a way to turn it back on! The Digital Zoom option is grayed out and the scroll bar skips over it, going from AF Frame at the top, directly to AF-Point Zoom.

What do I need to do to enable digital zoom again?

Thanks for any help!

Bev

mingleby
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

I suspect you have the camera in 'Auto' mode?

Try changing the mode dial to 'P' and then going back into the menu options.

Cheers,

Mike.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to mingleby, Oct 9, 2012

mingleby wrote:

I suspect you have the camera in 'Auto' mode?

Try changing the mode dial to 'P' and then going back into the menu options.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it. That wasn't the answer, but your suggestion led me to it! I shoot in aperture priority. But when I put the camera in Auto mode while I was checking out your idea, the digital zoom option became active again!

The camera comes out of the box set to Auto mode, so when I got it and started going through the menus, I naturally set digital zoom to off (which I usually do with my cameras).

Apparently, digital zoom is available ONLY in Auto mode?  Is this true?

Bev

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

That's the way it is on mine - digital zoom only available in "Auto" mode...

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

If Digital Zoom is only available in AUTO, then this would be a downgrade from the SX40 where I can use it in Tv, Av and P (although I only use its TC variants, but the full Digital Zoom is available).

Now on the SX40, you can not use AF-Point Zoom when Digital Zoom is engaged (AF-Point Zoom grays out, or if previously selected as on, automatically turns itself off). Possibly on the SX50 there is a similar relationship, but reversed. Try turning off AF-Point Zoom while using Tv, Av or P and see if the Digital Zoom becomes active again.

Vision

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Lin Evans, Oct 9, 2012

Lin Evans wrote:

That's the way it is on mine - digital zoom only available in "Auto" mode...

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin!

Bev

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 9, 2012

VisionLight wrote:

If Digital Zoom is only available in AUTO, then this would be a downgrade from the SX40 where I can use it in Tv, Av and P (although I only use its TC variants, but the full Digital Zoom is available).

Now on the SX40, you can not use AF-Point Zoom when Digital Zoom is engaged (AF-Point Zoom grays out, or if previously selected as on, automatically turns itself off). Possibly on the SX50 there is a similar relationship, but reversed. Try turning off AF-Point Zoom while using Tv, Av or P and see if the Digital Zoom becomes active again.

Vision

Vision, thanks for the ideas. I have AF Point Zoom set to Off and Digital Zoom is still grayed out in anything but Auto mode. I tried turning AF Point Zoom on, no change.

It's odd that the users manual doesn't mention that DZ can only be used in Auto. I don't have a problem with it because I normally keep DZ turned off, anyway. But I was curious to see the quality of it on this camera. That's when I discovered this apparent limitation.

Bev

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Woiana11
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

Just checked my Camera.

Digital Zoom is available in P mode.

It can be changed to Standard, Off, 1.5X or 2.0X.

You must have accidentally changed some other settings.

Maybe try a camera factory reset under Menu - Tools- Button: "Reset all"

Hope this helps

Eric

 Woiana11's gear list:Woiana11's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS G1 X II PowerShot SX700
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

Bev wrote:

VisionLight wrote:

If Digital Zoom is only available in AUTO, then this would be a downgrade from the SX40 where I can use it in Tv, Av and P (although I only use its TC variants, but the full Digital Zoom is available).

Now on the SX40, you can not use AF-Point Zoom when Digital Zoom is engaged (AF-Point Zoom grays out, or if previously selected as on, automatically turns itself off). Possibly on the SX50 there is a similar relationship, but reversed. Try turning off AF-Point Zoom while using Tv, Av or P and see if the Digital Zoom becomes active again.

Vision

Vision, thanks for the ideas. I have AF Point Zoom set to Off and Digital Zoom is still grayed out in anything but Auto mode. I tried turning AF Point Zoom on, no change.

It's odd that the users manual doesn't mention that DZ can only be used in Auto. I don't have a problem with it because I normally keep DZ turned off, anyway. But I was curious to see the quality of it on this camera. That's when I discovered this apparent limitation.

Bev

Ok, just went to page 266 of the SX50 manual. It shows that Digital Zoom IS available in Av, Tv and P modes. But between page 266 and 267 also shows options where it is not available. Maybe going thru this may help you drill down to something you may have turned on that is preventing DZ from showing up. If I notice anything, I'll come back in and let you know.

Vision

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,573Gear list
Like?
I discovered....
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

That if I choose JPG only, I can use digital zoom in the other modes. On the other hand if I choose RAW and JPG, I can only use digital zoom in the Auto mode. It appears that RAW is not supported with digital zoom except in the jpg mode with other than Automatic.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
Re: I discovered....
In reply to Lin Evans, Oct 9, 2012

Lin Evans wrote:

That if I choose JPG only, I can use digital zoom in the other modes. On the other hand if I choose RAW and JPG, I can only use digital zoom in the Auto mode. It appears that RAW is not supported with digital zoom except in the jpg mode with other than Automatic.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Good catch, Lin. Since SX40 doesn't have raw, I wouldn't have found it. And it makes sense since DZ is an in-camera process that goes against the "spirit" of raw. But then that confuses me as to how it would be applied to the raw image when in JPEG/raw and AUTO mode. Does it only apply DZ to the jpeg and leave the raw at optical settings, or is it a cropped "mini" raw file?

Can you try it and let us know.

Thanks,

Vision

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 9, 2012

Lin, Eric, and Vision...

Thanks for all your help!  Yes, I shoot RAW + JPEG, so that is likely causing the limitation. I wonder if RAW is disabled when shooting in AUTO mode?  Back to the manual...

You guys are great!

Bev

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Bev, Oct 9, 2012

Hi Bev,

Yes, you nailed it. RAW is disabled in the Auto mode and that's why it allows digital zoom when the camera is set to RAW plus jpg.  Bottom line, digital zoom is only available as a jpg and the camera simply ignores the RAW setting when in Auto mode. In other modes if RAW or JPG plus RAW is chosen, it ignores digital zoom.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bev
Bev
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: Help: SX50 Digital Zoom
In reply to Lin Evans, Oct 9, 2012

It all makes sense now!

Bev

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,573Gear list
Like?
Re: I discovered....
In reply to VisionLight, Oct 9, 2012

VisionLight wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

That if I choose JPG only, I can use digital zoom in the other modes. On the other hand if I choose RAW and JPG, I can only use digital zoom in the Auto mode. It appears that RAW is not supported with digital zoom except in the jpg mode with other than Automatic.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Good catch, Lin. Since SX40 doesn't have raw, I wouldn't have found it. And it makes sense since DZ is an in-camera process that goes against the "spirit" of raw. But then that confuses me as to how it would be applied to the raw image when in JPEG/raw and AUTO mode. Does it only apply DZ to the jpeg and leave the raw at optical settings, or is it a cropped "mini" raw file?

Can you try it and let us know.

Thanks,

Vision

As it turns out - RAW is not supported in the Automatic mode and only a cropped jpg is saved when using digital zoom. So regardless of whether or not you have RAW chosen the camera doesn't save a RAW when using digital zoom and won't use a digital zoom if RAW is selected except in the Automatic mode where RAW is ignored.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads