I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions
peter_friend
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?
I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !
Oct 6, 2012

Yes i was interested by this new camera.

But a review at Amazone.com and YouTube stop my desire...

Here the link of the guy's review seems serious

(John Sturgeon's review)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Wide-Angle-Stabilized/product-reviews/B009B0MZ1M/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

and this YOUTUBE video about  Canon SX40 ISO limits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncILazaR18g

It is very important for me to have the capacity for low light and long exposure.

This review announced bad news for me.

What do you think please.

Peter.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064Gear list
Like?
Re: I am very interested by the SX50 HS BUT THIS REVIEW STOP ME !
In reply to peter_friend, Oct 6, 2012

I agree with you Peter.  Canon appear to have deliberately crippled another camera by reducing the ability of low light exposures with higher ISO settings.  With this camera, that is no longer possible.  This makes it hard for the public to buy a single camera that can do all they want it to do.

Very disappointed in this because the zoom is otherwise astounding at 1200mm on the SX50.  Perhaps they should call it the SUX50?

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
24IS
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to Marco Nero, Oct 6, 2012

I found it to be a spectacularly positive review.

Many people seem to complain about this 'policy decision' by Canon.

I would suggest that everybody pray to the Goddess Kwanon.

Things are still pretty rough in Japan, post tsunami.

They still manage to come up with innovations, despite being forced to live, largely without the convenience of air conditioning, these days.

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?

peter_friend wrote:

Yes i was interested by this new camera.

But a review at Amazone.com and YouTube stop my desire...

Here the link of the guy's review seems serious

(John Sturgeon's review)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Wide-Angle-Stabilized/product-reviews/B009B0MZ1M/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

and this YOUTUBE video about  Canon SX40 ISO limits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncILazaR18g

It is very important for me to have the capacity for low light and long exposure.

This review announced bad news for me.

What do you think please.

Peter.

I see it differently Peter.  Remember that this is a very small sensor camera, so high ISO and long exposure times produce horrendous noise.  I think that the noise is so high under these conditions that Canon mapped the region of operation out rather than have people try to use it and be very dissappointed, because the noise becomes greater than even very aggressive NR can cope with and still produce a decent picture.  This is where you use your G1X which does an incredible job in low light and high ISO.

What the SX50 does do well, it does very well and gives a region of operation that you cannot get with the G1X -- ie., long zoom and reaching out further.   So you use the camera that does the best job.  There is no one camera that does everything well and is all things to all people.  As long as you keep your G1X for where it is good, there is nothing at all wrong with having a super zoom camera for things you use a super zoom for.  I still intend to buy it to replace my SX40.  But that is not my only camera, nor do I expect it to be.  I have other cameras for high ISO and long exposure times so not having it in the SX50 worries me not at all.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Nero, Oct 6, 2012

Marco Nero wrote:

I agree with you Peter.  Canon appear to have deliberately crippled another camera by reducing the ability of low light exposures with higher ISO settings.  With this camera, that is no longer possible.  This makes it hard for the public to buy a single camera that can do all they want it to do.

Very disappointed in this because the zoom is otherwise astounding at 1200mm on the SX50.  Perhaps they should call it the SUX50?

Just wait for the CHDK to override this limitation.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,824Gear list
Like?
I second this opinion...
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Oct 6, 2012

Hi Dale,

I agree completely. One can't expect to have all features and capabilities in a single instrument at this price point. To get quality long exposures with virtually any digital sensor is difficult without jumping through hoops with techniques such as dark frame subtraction, stacking and so on. But the best sensors for that type thing are the much larger ones commonly referred to as "full frame" sensors. In my experience it's much more satisfying to buy even a used dSLR to do long exposure night photography with. In reading the linked reviews, there were a few misconceptions. Someone mentioned that Canon did not have a 1200mm lens for a dSLR. Of course they do, but the MSRP is around $100,000 and the thing weighs about 40 pounds. This is what makes the little SX50 US such a jewel. Having a stabilized optical zoom reaching 1200mm effective FOV in a tiny (relatively) unit is nothing short of fantastic IMHO. I have an SX30 IS and thought 840mm was amazing. I can get that with several of my dSLR's and big glass, but it's heavy, inconvenient and having the camera available when the opportunity arises is more important to me than the slight loss of light at the long end. For what it's designed for, this is a dandy.

Cost cutting measures are obvious from my SX30 to the SX50 (for example, there is no cover for the hot shoe). I don't like the relative positions of the movie switch which was, in my experience, more convenient on the SX30, but in all it's a very nice package with tons of features and decent performance.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Thirded!
In reply to Lin Evans, Oct 6, 2012

SX50 + G1X is my plan, too.  No camera exists today that will do all of the things I want, at a reasonable price and weight.

peter_friend
Like?
Re: Thirded!!! But SX50 or FZ200. Help please.
In reply to Sunflower6, Oct 6, 2012

Hi! Thank you all for your comments.

Me too i have a choice like Sunflower6 who said:

"SX50 + G1X is my plan".

I have a double choise:

SX50 + G1X (that i have since march 2012)

or

Pana FZ200 + G1X.

This is my dilemna now.

I have a lot of difficulties to choose between these

2 bridge camera.

Some help, please.

RDCollins
Contributing MemberPosts: 869Gear list
Like?

Although I find the Panasonic FZ200's constant f2.8 throughout its zoom range to be very attractive (although I still want to know how they did that -- not interested in electronic tricks), I've been dissuaded by user reviews like this one on Amazon, especially since I prefer to shoot in JPEG rather than RAW:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R7NVVKDH0CDIT/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R7NVVKDH0CDIT

-- hide signature --

Doug Collins
Hermosa Beach, California

peter_friend
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 6, 2012

Me too, i prefer when it is possible to shot in JPEG.

But i have the excellent experience with the Canon G1X whos produce

very nice JPEG.

But if this review is true, this -1, perhaps -2 for the FZ200.

I remember me, although, that a bridge is a compromise. I search the best !

Peter.

Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 12,827Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Oct 6, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I see it differently Peter.  Remember that this is a very small sensor camera, so high ISO and long exposure times produce horrendous noise.  I think that the noise is so high under these conditions that Canon mapped the region of operation out rather than have people try to use it and be very dissappointed, because the noise becomes greater than even very aggressive NR can cope with and still produce a decent picture.

Spot on Dale....

Don
http://www.pbase.com/dond

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
HagaWaga
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to RDCollins, Oct 6, 2012

There is no perfect camera and it will never be. Because when somebody develops one, to satisfy EVERYBODY and my cat, all innovation will seize and we will go back to stone age.

I trust you live in spoiled capitalism world; so instead of hitting your head with the hammer 'which camera or combo should I choose?' move your but and go to the nearest store with at least 7 days return policy and buy them. Torture them at home 24/7 and YOU make decision what works for you.

No member of this forum nor any 'photo reviewer' can make this decision for you.

Myself, still having S2 IS am looking forward to SX50. Since I bought S1 IS I took bunch of damn really nice pictures without sweating during sleepless nights 'which camera is THE best' or 'did I make right decision...'

Or you can wait until 2027, Canon might have SXXL5400 with 4000x zoom, mind reader, levitation feature and you will have just to think of and it will fly there and take a PERFECT picture only for you my friend.

Get life and start taking great pictures...

Susan Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
In reply to HagaWaga, Oct 6, 2012

HagaWaga,

Ha, ha!  I love your "analysis" of when to expect the "perfect" camera!  Every time I get interested in the "latest, greatest" of anything technological I tell myself that it is a futile search and just to get whatever at that moment fills the needs/desires I have for a camera or computer or whatever.  If we all waited until exactly what we wanted appeared, we'd still be using those box cameras that my grandmother had about a hundred years ago.

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,411Gear list
Like?
Why are you surprised?
In reply to peter_friend, Oct 7, 2012

The situation hasn't changed since super-zooms were first developed.  Long zoom OR good image quality - pick one. You can't have both.

-- hide signature --

Larry
http://www.pbase.com/fernley
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samsung NX300M
Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Fixed for you.
In reply to nevada5, Oct 7, 2012

nevada5 wrote:

The situation hasn't changed since super-zooms were first developed.  Long zoom OR best image quality - pick one. You can't have both.

FFY

tclev6
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
In reply to Susan Taylor, Oct 7, 2012

Susan Taylor wrote:

HagaWaga,

Ha, ha!  I love your "analysis" of when to expect the "perfect" camera!  Every time I get interested in the "latest, greatest" of anything technological I tell myself that it is a futile search and just to get whatever at that moment fills the needs/desires I have for a camera or computer or whatever.  If we all waited until exactly what we wanted appeared, we'd still be using those box cameras that my grandmother had about a hundred years ago.

Susan...EXACTLY! You said it all right there!!

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Oct 7, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I see it differently Peter.  Remember that this is a very small sensor camera, so high ISO and long exposure times produce horrendous noise.  I think that the noise is so high under these conditions that Canon mapped the region of operation out rather than have people try to use it and be very dissappointed, because the noise becomes greater than even very aggressive NR can cope with and still produce a decent picture.

Come on, you can't be serious?

We are not talking about "high ISO" here, because you can't even use ISO 200 & 400.  So where does this "horrendous noise" come from?

Just a quick search on flickr and found this for SX30 (the last camera which allows long exposure + ISO settings):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/windgeist/5130732663/

And where is that "horrendous noise" that you are talking about?

So yes, as you said, SX50 does well in many areas.

But there is absolutely no technical reason and no plausible excuse for Canon to restrict ISO to 80 only beyond 1 second exposure - absolutely NONE!

You can't even choose ISO 100, for goodness sake!

I have other cameras for high ISO and long exposure times so not having it in the SX50 worries me not at all.

I can see how it may not affect you.

But Canon's inexplicable decision shouldn't be defended just because you don't need it.

Lin Evans
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Oct 7, 2012

nosnoop wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Come on, you can't be serious?

We are not talking about "high ISO" here, because you can't even use ISO 200 & 400.  So where does this "horrendous noise" come from?

Just a quick search on flickr and found this for SX30 (the last camera which allows long exposure + ISO settings):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/windgeist/5130732663/

And where is that "horrendous noise" that you are talking about?

So yes, as you said, SX50 does well in many areas.

But there is absolutely no technical reason and no plausible excuse for Canon to restrict ISO to 80 only beyond 1 second exposure - absolutely NONE!

You can't even choose ISO 100, for goodness sake!

I have other cameras for high ISO and long exposure times so not having it in the SX50 worries me not at all.

I can see how it may not affect you.

But Canon's inexplicable decision shouldn't be defended just because you don't need it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SX30 IS was a "CCD" sensor and starting with the SX40, the change was made to CMOS sensors.

CCD sensors work much better for long exposures - to my knowledge, all professional level sensors for astro-photography are CCD sensors and some of them are super-cooled.

Perhaps Canon knows best about what is and what is not possible with their sensors?

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to Lin Evans, Oct 7, 2012

Lin Evans wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SX30 IS was a "CCD" sensor and starting with the SX40, the change was made to CMOS sensors.

CCD sensors work much better for long exposures - to my knowledge, all professional level sensors for astro-photography are CCD sensors and some of them are super-cooled.

But look around at all the other same sized CMOS sensors camera out there!

Even Canon's own SX240HS & SX260HS, which has the identical BSI-CMOS 12.1MP sensors + Digic 5 as SX50, do not have such restricitons.  And no other brands which use CMOS sensors have similar restrictions.  You can check all the other samples for CMOS sensors and see if you can find this "horrendous noise".

Remember that we are not trying to use ISO 3200 or 6400...   We can't even use ISO 100, 200 or 400!

Perhaps Canon knows best about what is and what is not possible with their sensors?

I am astounded by this "Canon knows best" attitude.

Really?

Canon knows best how to protect their market segments and protect their profit margin - but not necessary to the benefit of their users.   But with loyal users like you, Canon has no worries.

Lin Evans
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Oct 7, 2012

That last comment was uncalled for. I have many more digicam's from other manufacturer's than I have Canon.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads