Brighton Beach (CC Please)

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions
trespassing
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Brighton Beach (CC Please)
Oct 6, 2012

Hi, these are a few photos I took recently along Brighton beach (UK).  The first is of a sunrise and the second and third of sunset.  These were taken using ND grad filters, as recently I've developed an obsession for playing around with them.  I'm sure it's just a phase and it'll pass!  Anyway, I'd be grateful for and constructive criticism you can offer to help me improve.

PS. Shot in Raw and a little processing done with Capture NX2

-- hide signature --

Matt

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,703
Like?
Re: Brighton Beach (CC Please)
In reply to trespassing, Oct 8, 2012

I like your pictures, especially #1. #2 not so keen on (sun blown?) but OK. I live close to Brighton so I was wondering whether and how you would make the pictures look different. You did. Well done! I must get myself a set of those neutral grad filters.

David

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585
Like?

trespassing wrote:

Good set - here's the no hold's barred comments:

This first one is looking a bit over-filtered for colour with the sea quite a bit brighter than the sky. The pier with good light is obviously a good subject, the great concrete intrusion isn't so photogenic so I'm left in a bit of confusion about the composition coupled with a mid exposure which seems mid way between ghosting the surf and holding detail. About twice or half as long may have strung together better. Cokin filters? The magenta cast looks familiar. If you want to remove the cast you can do 2 conversions from the raw file using different WB settings, then mask them back together.

One that is interesting at first glance, but as with the first composition, there separate elements are feeling too much like separate elements and not quite stringing together for a complete image. I like the components, but the jet trail needs to be aligned in a way that flows or starts to make a statement in some way. The sun is obviously blows and is feeling uncomfortable. I'm left feeling the image is trying to do too much.

This is my fave from the bunch. The elements are working together, good timing on the cloud, interesting structure, good set of pebbles. Don't forget that you can rotate your ND at an angle, so in this shot you could have evened the light on the pebbles and retained more detail in the waves.

Hi, these are a few photos I took recently along Brighton beach (UK).  The first is of a sunrise and the second and third of sunset.  These were taken using ND grad filters, as recently I've developed an obsession for playing around with them.  I'm sure it's just a phase and it'll pass!  Anyway, I'd be grateful for and constructive criticism you can offer to help me improve.

-- hide signature --

Matt

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

jochen1
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?

Very cool, nice pictures, I like colors, especially in the first and the last one.

jochen1's gear list:jochen1's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,046Gear list
Like?

Now that is one stony "beach" :^)

HansN46
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?

Nice appraoch of this beach scene. I like them very much.

-- hide signature --

Happy photographing!

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
trespassing
Like?
In reply to David Lal, Oct 9, 2012

David Lal wrote:

I like your pictures, especially #1. #2 not so keen on (sun blown?) but OK. I live close to Brighton so I was wondering whether and how you would make the pictures look different. You did. Well done! I must get myself a set of those neutral grad filters.

David

Thank you for your comment.  I'm a student who has just moved to Brighton from around London to study at Sussex University.  Photography is just a hobby and a passion for me, so I'm certainly enjoying how picturesque Brighton is so far.  In terms of the ND filters, I purchased a set of Cokin grads (ND2, 4 & 8 I think) a while ago simply because I enjoy playing around with unusual effects and achieving as much in camera as possible without PP.  What I use them for is certainly not going to be to everybody's taste, but my aim is always to attempt something a little different.

Thanks again for your comment, I hope to see you around town sometime haha!

-- hide signature --

Matt

trespassing
Like?
In reply to jkjond, Oct 9, 2012

jkjond wrote:

trespassing wrote:

Good set - here's the no hold's barred comments:

This first one is looking a bit over-filtered for colour with the sea quite a bit brighter than the sky. The pier with good light is obviously a good subject, the great concrete intrusion isn't so photogenic so I'm left in a bit of confusion about the composition coupled with a mid exposure which seems mid way between ghosting the surf and holding detail. About twice or half as long may have strung together better. Cokin filters? The magenta cast looks familiar. If you want to remove the cast you can do 2 conversions from the raw file using different WB settings, then mask them back together.

One that is interesting at first glance, but as with the first composition, there separate elements are feeling too much like separate elements and not quite stringing together for a complete image. I like the components, but the jet trail needs to be aligned in a way that flows or starts to make a statement in some way. The sun is obviously blows and is feeling uncomfortable. I'm left feeling the image is trying to do too much.

This is my fave from the bunch. The elements are working together, good timing on the cloud, interesting structure, good set of pebbles. Don't forget that you can rotate your ND at an angle, so in this shot you could have evened the light on the pebbles and retained more detail in the waves.

-- hide signature --

Matt

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Thank you greatly for your detailed comments.  I do genuinely appreciate the fact that they are 'no hole's barred' as that's the only way I'll learn.  The first one I do agree the sky is over-filtered, but it was not the most picturesque sunrise I've seen here so far either.  That morning when getting up photography was my secondary goal for heading into town, so just felt I'd make the best of the situation.  I didn't notice quite how dark I was leaving the sky until I headed home on the train later that morning.  In terms of composition that will always remain my weak point, as I'm not generally a particularly artistic or creative person, it has never been my forte, but hopefully that will develop with experience.

In terms of the second photo, the highlights from the sun were hard to avoid.  I tried underexposing and using a little fill flash on the side of the boat (you can see the reflection at the base of the 7).  As with the first photo though, photography was not my intention, I was just in Brighton during the sunset and happened to have some kit on me at the time.

In terms of your comments for the third photo, I had forgotten about angling the filters and that is something I'll certainly remember for next time. Once again, a huge thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed comments, I really do appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Matt

D300SandV1shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?
In reply to trespassing, Oct 9, 2012

In terms of composition that will always remain my weak point, as I'm not generally a particularly artistic or creative person, it has never been my forte,

You may not have noticed yet but you have already disproved that

Devil's Dyke up on the Downs is another good location (if you have wheels).

D300SandV1shooter's gear list:D300SandV1shooter's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +7 more
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,796
Like?
In reply to D300SandV1shooter, Oct 9, 2012

Lovely photos. I like 1 and 3. Really quite jealous of them

I'm quite keen on Brighton. I moved away when I was 3. But I went back loads as a child. My sister was a studenst there

StrokerAce23
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?

trespassing wrote:

I do genuinely appreciate the fact that they are 'no hole's barred'

-- hide signature --

Matt

LOL.  That could certainly be a harsh critique.

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?

The photos are visually striking. Well done. Don't think the rest of my post detracts from that sentiment.

I do find the stones in the foreground being so much brighter than horizon a little offputting - bit like your beach is under floodlights. Actually my first thought was slightly but not overly cooked HDR then I read about the graduated ND filter. I would apply slight gradient going the other way to counter and make them look more natural. Might not work but worth seeing what it does to your shot and it doesn't take long to do.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

leoda
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

You have a good eye for lines and areas and general composition. My advice would be to build on that until it's intuitive, and then . . .  start breaking the "rules"

The balance of #2 is kind of edgy -  maybe that's good, maybe it's bad - you decide.

As to picking over details, I will let you decide for yourself if the pictures do what you want them to or not.

Keep "playing" with those filters. They are fun and educational.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads