playmemories camera apps portal online - Nex 5R and Nex 6

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions
Jorlin
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
playmemories camera apps portal online - Nex 5R and Nex 6
Oct 6, 2012

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone already noticed. But the Playmemories Camera App Portal is open...

4 apps are available:

Smart Remote (free)

Picture Effect+ (free)

Direct Upload (free)

Multiframe-RM (€ 4.99)

Check for yourself:

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

Does anyone have a clue what the difference between Multiframe-RM and the already implemented "handheld twilight" mode is?

BTW:

Sony alpha rumors has a link online that leads to the NEX 5R manual:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-nex-5r-manual-download-nex-5n-discontinued-at-bh/

Jorlin's gear list:Jorlin's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,036Gear list
Like?
re: is there a way to sunstitute SP with a notebook/netbook?
In reply to Jorlin, Oct 6, 2012

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-F00002

perhaps there is a way allowing to use this remote shooting method but not ​via​ SP but rather from notebook/netbook?

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
Re: playmemories camera apps portal online - Nex 5R and Nex 6
In reply to Jorlin, Oct 6, 2012

Jorlin wrote:

Does anyone have a clue what the difference between Multiframe-RM and the already implemented "handheld twilight" mode is?

Handheld Twilight is an auto mode, you have no control over which ISO the camera chooses.

Multi-frame-NR, on the other hand, allows you to choose whichever ISO you want.

This really should have been a built-in function.  And now they want to charge 5 bucks for that.  Better than none, I suppose.

JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Oct 6, 2012

nosnoop wrote:

This really should have been a built-in function.  And now they want to charge 5 bucks for that.  Better than none, I suppose.

I agree that it should be built in. What possible justification can there be other than tasteless greed, IMO? Hopefully a hacker community will evolve.

-- hide signature --

JohnK Take a picture, it'll last longer.

beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 251
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Oct 6, 2012

nosnoop wrote:

Jorlin wrote:

Handheld Twilight is an auto mode, you have no control over which ISO the camera chooses.

Does it allow you to set the aperture as well ??

nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
In reply to beetle0042000, Oct 6, 2012

beetle0042000 wrote:

Does it allow you to set the aperture as well ??

Yes.

Not sure if this "App" implementation is any different from built-in function.   Assuming that it works the same as other Sony cameras, then this multi-frame NR behaves just like any other ISO settings.  So instead of setting the ISO to Auto or to 1600, you would set it to multi-frame NR + your chosen ISO.

Then the multi-frame NR would be used in any mode that allows manual ISO settings, such as P, A, S etc.

TKPRIMES
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to nosnoop, Nov 28, 2012

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a NEX-6.  The Smart Remote app is the reason i purchased the camera in hopes that with a future update to the app the NEX-6 and 5R will be able to not only toggle the Shutter release but also toggle VIDEO!!!  Currently even when the Smart Remote app is running, even if you manually press the video record button on the camera it gives a warning saying "Video recording not available white running this app.  Please exit app to record Video"

For whatever reason sony decided to leave the video toggle feature out for the NEX-6 and 5R. Upon closer investigation i noticed that the only other camera to use the Playmemories apps is the Sony Action Cam.

The Action cam also uses the PlayMemories app in the same way as the Smart Remote app however it is able to Toggle the video of the camera.  As well as adjust other settings such as EV and interval shooting.

Now i know the Action Cam is primarily a video camera and it obvioustly needs a way to toggle video but i fail to see why Sony has left this capability out for the NEX-6 and 5R considering they are all using the same wifi technology and the same APPS!!!  Why make the same app run differently for different cams.

The only way to toggle video recording remotely at this point is to buy the Sony NEX Remote commander version 2 which was just released.

The reason i want to toggle video from the camera app is so that anyone can use any Tablet or Cell phone as an affordable directors monitor for when on set etc.

I hope sony updates their app or at least let us know why!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads